Author Topic: DFRPG Character Creator/Manager  (Read 30062 times)

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files RPG Character Manager
Re: DFRPG Character Creator/Manager
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
Okay trying the new version but may I suggest some more Thaumaturgy and Ritual specializations to choose from?  Not a whole lot for earth users.  Gyromancy, floromancy, geomancy for earth elemental users.

You can also add, audiomancy, pyromancy, aeromancy, umbramancy (darkness), cryomancy, hydromancy, cryomancy, magnetomancy as well.  Or maybe a text box for the player to add their own?  :)

There is a button on the specialization screen that allows you to create custom specializations.

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »

now it is something else

Makes the power, but when I attempt to select if for the character, it goes all wonky with the error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set ot an instance of an object.
This is the error I get with custom powers.

Found out why this one is happening. The power is being created properly, but when it is selected, the program is searching the standard set of files for your custom power (where it isn't) instead of the custom file (where it is). The fix for this is on my list and should be done this week. For the moment you can make powers, but not add them to a character.

Sorry about that.

EDIT: That actually took less time than I thought. New version up again. http://www.mediafire.com/?rvc5aodqtdbt5e5
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:56:00 PM by yakoaohw »

Offline toutomoutochan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
I also get an "Unhandled exception" error (the one involving a temp character save file) when I try to view a character sheet. I went through chargen item by item, viewing the sheet after each item, and I've come to the conclusion that it only spazzes out after the sheet is saved (or when loading an already saved sheet).

I hope this helps. I'm trying to be a good little tester.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:33:11 PM by toutomoutochan »

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
Yeah, first time I tried to install this, my computer crashed. Second time, it screwed up my configuration files for my Dragon Age: Origins game, and now I'm having to reinstall it.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think I'll have to steer clear of this one.

EDIT: Which reminds me, just where does this thing install, anyway? And does it leave buttons anywhere? I don't see anything, so I wonder where precisely the program crashed.

I had to unblock it twice with my virus scanner, both times, and each time is when the program screwed up on me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:38:37 PM by Morfedel »

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
Hm.

I had noticed this earlier in my browser, so I brought it back up:  http://dresdenseattle.tabbykat.us/DFRPGRolodex/DFRPGRolodex.application

When I tried to run it in Google Chrome, it just brought up an xml page. When I ran it in IE explorer, it brought up a rather thorough and very long error log.

Hm, I may be mixing this with the DRPG rolodex. I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:15:16 PM by Morfedel »

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
Yeah, first time I tried to install this, my computer crashed. Second time, it screwed up my configuration files for my Dragon Age: Origins game, and now I'm having to reinstall it.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think I'll have to steer clear of this one.

EDIT: Which reminds me, just where does this thing install, anyway And does it leave buttons anywhere I don't see anything, so I wonder where precisely the program crashed.

I had to unblock it twice with my virus scanner, both times, and each time is when the program screwed up on me.

I think you might have my program confused the the NPC rolodex. The character creator does not have an installer so it only goes where you unzip the file. It does not modify your registry or access files outside of the directory that you unzip it in.

Offline Shekbo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:01 PM »
First of all, I LOVE this program. It made it easy for me to create a party of 5 Player Characters for an upcoming con even with ease. I even used it to create the main villain.

My only issue is that I want to print MORE than the default print option allows me to.
Since this is a convention game I'd like the players to have ALL the information in front of them.
That includes the full text of the "background". "Rising conflict" etc.
I'd also like to include the picture I was able to add to the Template page.

Is there any way I can do this and control what is printed?

Thanks
  Tom in VT

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 12:43:53 AM »
First of all, I LOVE this program. It made it easy for me to create a party of 5 Player Characters for an upcoming con even with ease. I even used it to create the main villain.

My only issue is that I want to print MORE than the default print option allows me to.
Since this is a convention game I'd like the players to have ALL the information in front of them.
That includes the full text of the "background". "Rising conflict" etc.
I'd also like to include the picture I was able to add to the Template page.

Is there any way I can do this and control what is printed?

Thanks
  Tom in VT

At present, no.

However, you are not the first to ask. I am planning on adding this in for the next update along with a better 'help' interface and correcting some errors saving and writing to the character sheet.

I know that is outrageously helpful in the meantime. Sorry about that.

Offline Shekbo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
Thx for the reply. I'm going to cut and paste the stuff I want into a word doc.

and Thx again for a great tool. I know I'll be using this for a long time.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
I think you might have my program confused the the NPC rolodex. The character creator does not have an installer so it only goes where you unzip the file. It does not modify your registry or access files outside of the directory that you unzip it in.

Yup, sure did. Sowwy, heh.

Great program btw. :)

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
So is there a link to the current build of this awesome looking program?
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
I try and keep the first post of this thread updated with the current link and the latest version is always available at http://dfrpgtools.blogspot.com.

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
New version of the program is up. You can now print the character phases worksheet, among other things.

EDIT: So... custom supernatural powers are acting up... again. Sorry about that folks. I'll take a hammer to it over the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:16:53 AM by yakoaohw »

Tbora

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »
And you can no longer add more then one refinement, nor can you specify what it is adding to in terms of bonuses.

Offline Sorin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
Great program, found a few bugs.  If you remove your last mortal stunt the program throws an exception:

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value
   at System.String.IndexOf(String value, Int32 startIndex, Int32 count, StringComparison comparisonType)
   at System.String.Contains(String value)
   at Dresden_Files_Character_Manager.Form2.ListBoxChosenStunts_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.NativeRemoveAt(Int32 index)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.ObjectCollection.RemoveAt(Int32 index)
   at Dresden_Files_Character_Manager.Form2.ButtonRemoveSkill_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------

Also, I can't save custom mortal stunts.  I add the name, description and skill and hit save, it doesn't throw any errors, but the stun is not available.  For the time being could you provide the XML formate for custom stunts/powers/etc so that they can be manually added into the custom XML?