Author Topic: DFRPG Character Creator/Manager  (Read 30021 times)

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files RPG Character Manager
Re: DFRPG Character Creator/Manager
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
Fixed a few more bugs.

Stunt/Power descriptions are back on the character sheet, physical stress should calculate properly now, and fixed some validation problems.

I also removed the custom mortal stunt field. I'm about halfway through creating a better customization system, but I wanted to get the bug fixes out before most people's game nights and I had already removed it before I realized I wasn't going to finish tonight. If you already have custom stunts, they should be fine.

Hopefully I've not created more errors by fixing these. I swear bug fixing is like whack-a-mole.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
This is not so much an issue of buggyness, It's more about program design, or maybe game system interpretation. *g*

I noticed that you calculate/list catches for every toughness power separately. That's wrong.
The Catch is calculated into the total-value of all toughness powers put together.
The only way to have two catches is when you add a stacked catch to physical immunity.

So, one field for "The Catch" and one field for "Stacked Catch", ideally only active when the appropriate powers are selected, would actually be sufficient to implement the Catch in full.

Keep up the good work.

Offline zcthu3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »
Okay this is really cool, thanks! One thing, however, is that the custom stunt-custom power buttons are greyed out? Is this to come later?

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 01:00:06 AM »
Okay this is really cool, thanks! One thing, however, is that the custom stunt-custom power buttons are greyed out? Is this to come later?

Yes. I am working on it right now as a matter of fact. I'm hoping to have it finished sometime this weekend, then to test it a bit before I post it.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 03:09:54 AM »
I was wondering if you planned on including a function to add new custom templates into the database?

I like what I've seen so far of the program and would like to thank you for your hard work. I'd been looking at trying to do something similar, but have long let my programming skills slip.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
This topic is now sticky by request.

And because it looks kind of awesome.

-Lenny

Offline zcthu3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 02:44:36 AM »
Yes. I am working on it right now as a matter of fact. I'm hoping to have it finished sometime this weekend, then to test it a bit before I post it.

Excellent. Thanks - this is awesome.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
"Sticky"? [feels like a doof for asking]

Never mind, I think I just figured it out. It means this topic stays towards the beginning of the list up with the other ones with the darker boxes?

This topic is now sticky by request.

And because it looks kind of awesome.

-Lenny
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:23:31 PM by lordoracle »
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
bugs:
-Powers don't discount (soulgaze+the sight, sponsored magic, specifically)
-stacking powers are only available once (aka refinement)

Other than that, it's very nice.  Though would be nice if it had "higher" than submerged. (In the Deep End - 12 refresh, 40 skills, cap at superb; Scuba diving - 15 refresh, 45 skills, cap at fantastic, et cetera)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Malivotti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
Don't forget a way to re-size the window, or to side scroll. I can't see the 1/4 of the window because of the screen resolution I normally have to use.

Maybe place the physical description stuff on it's own tab?   

Oh  and thank you for the program, very nice.

Offline Logan01X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
-Powers don't discount (soulgaze+the sight, sponsored magic, specifically)

I thought it was a bug to at first, but you have to select "The Sight" first. Then "Soulgaze (The Sight)" pops up in the available powers and it has a refresh cost of 0. I'm guessing it doesnt show up till after you take "The Sight" because you cant get "Soulgaze" discounted until after you get the "The Sight" like in YS.

There are some powers that dont appear until after you select the main power. Like catches dont appear until after you take a toughness or recovery power and involuntary change or rare change dont appear until after you take human form.
With the Sponsored Magic, the cost is *, and outside the box right next to it is a 0, which you can change to a 2 or whatever number you need, just like with the catch power on this program
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:37:21 PM by Logan01X »

Offline dbrowne1974

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
Great work on the program, and the improvements.  I love this thing, but still not able to choose specializations for Evocation or Thaum.  I may be missing something tho.  Again this program is GREAT!!!!!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Well, I just tried out the new version. It looks like you've made major milestones work, which is great. But as I was browsing I happened to notice a problem with the skill selection for the shapeshifted forms granted by Beast Change and True Shapeshifting. Three problems, actually:

1. Only nine skills are listed for the shapeshifted form. While you aren't allowed to raise other skills with shapeshifting, you are still allowed to have them. In fact, you need them in order to be able to spend all of your skill points at Chest Deep or Submerged.

2. Only one skill list is presented for True Shapeshifting, which allows endless shuffling. It might not be worth correcting this.

3. The skill pyramid is not enforced for shapeshifted skills. This is also not necessarily worth correcting.

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:48 AM »
Great work on the program, and the improvements.  I love this thing, but still not able to choose specializations for Evocation or Thaum.  I may be missing something tho.  Again this program is GREAT!!!!!

Nope, you're not missing a thing. The specialization is being written to the file but not being loaded. That will be fixed in the next version. I completely overlooked that fix in the last round.

In other notes, powers with prerequisites will not appear unless you have the prerequisite. That is the reason that Soulgaze (The Sight) does not appear initially. It is also the reason there are separate catches for all the different powers. It was easier to hide them until selected if I only had to make them appear under one condition instead of multiple conditions.

I had not considered a different window size since my desktop and laptop resolutions are perfect and should be adopted by all other computer users everywhere. I'll take a look at that after the present set of "to do"s is taken care of.

Custom stuff is done, but is being tested. I will release that in a few days after I pound out most of the bugs. (For example, you could not have supernatural powers and view a character sheet at the same time.) Custom supernatural powers will also act as a temporary replacement for stacking powers (just make sure that the names are not exactly the same. That may cause problems. That is another bug I have to fix since it just occurred to me as I was typing.)

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
Well, I just tried out the new version. It looks like you've made major milestones work, which is great. But as I was browsing I happened to notice a problem with the skill selection for the shapeshifted forms granted by Beast Change and True Shapeshifting. Three problems, actually:

1. Only nine skills are listed for the shapeshifted form. While you aren't allowed to raise other skills with shapeshifting, you are still allowed to have them. In fact, you need them in order to be able to spend all of your skill points at Chest Deep or Submerged.

2. Only one skill list is presented for True Shapeshifting, which allows endless shuffling. It might not be worth correcting this.

3. The skill pyramid is not enforced for shapeshifted skills. This is also not necessarily worth correcting.

The nine skills listed for your shapeshifted form are simply the ones that change. The "skill points spent" with the shapeshifted skills list should correspond to the number of points you spent on those skills in human form, allowing them to be rearranged.

I just noticed that it is not displaying the correct name when it changes the description information about each skill. I'll add that to the bug list.