Author Topic: A little inspiration  (Read 3199 times)

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
A little inspiration
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:57:09 AM »
I stumbled across some notes I took when I was reading the The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie a few years ago. Rediscovered a quote that I'd marked because it really struck me:

What kind of idea are you? Are you the kind that compromises, does deals, accomodates itself to society, aims to find a niche, to survive; or are you the cussed, bloody-minded, ramrod-backed type of damnfool notion that would rather break than sway with the breeze? – The kind that will almost certainly, ninety-nine times out of hundred, be smashed to bits; but, the hundredth time, will change the world.

Take from it what you will. I just thought it was cool and wanted to share it.  :)
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: A little inspiration
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
It is really cool. Thank you for sharing.  Although 'idea' could be substituted with several other nouns and it still works...  'politician'  'person'  'friend' etc
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:19:06 AM »
I'm a quotes addict, always looking for new ones to add to chapters in my book. That's a great quote!!!  :)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
I'm a quotes addict, always looking for new ones to add to chapters in my book. That's a great quote!!!  :)

I love quotes too.
Jon Winokur has several books of just quotes.
The Portable Curmudgeon
The Curmudgeon's Guide to Romance
Writer's on Writing  I really like the last one particularly when they critique each other.  OUCH!!!

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
I love quotes too.
Jon Winokur has several books of just quotes.
The Portable Curmudgeon
The Curmudgeon's Guide to Romance
Writer's on Writing  I really like the last one particularly when they critique each other.  OUCH!!!

Those sound awesome! I've actually been in the market for some new ones - I'll look for them on Amazon.com. Are they mostly funny, mostly serious/inspirational, or a combination?
I currently have three - "Respectfully Quoted," "The Book of Positive Quotations," "The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time," and (don't laugh) "Uncle John's Four-Ply Bathroom Reader." (I don't actually read in the bathroom but my dad bought it and it has specific quote sections for Groucho Marx and Marilyn Monroe so I just had to steal it.) I'm kind of mixed on which book I like best..."Positive Quotations" is very well organized but the book I'm writing doesn't call for that many "positive" quotations persay. (What I write needs more quotes about mistakes, love, and evil. Awesome story, I know, lol.)  ;) "Brilliant Thoughts" has a lot of what I could use but its not well organized so its all so hard to find. Oh, and then there's "The Art Of War" (love that book!) but it doesn't exactly offer a wide range. Thus, I really need some new quotes books.

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »
Those sound awesome! I've actually been in the market for some new ones - I'll look for them on Amazon.com. Are they mostly funny, mostly serious/inspirational, or a combination?
I currently have three - "Respectfully Quoted," "The Book of Positive Quotations," "The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time," and (don't laugh) "Uncle John's Four-Ply Bathroom Reader." (I don't actually read in the bathroom but my dad bought it and it has specific quote sections for Groucho Marx and Marilyn Monroe so I just had to steal it.) I'm kind of mixed on which book I like best..."Positive Quotations" is very well organized but the book I'm writing doesn't call for that many "positive" quotations persay. (What I write needs more quotes about mistakes, love, and evil. Awesome story, I know, lol.)  ;) "Brilliant Thoughts" has a lot of what I could use but its not well organized so its all so hard to find. Oh, and then there's "The Art Of War" (love that book!) but it doesn't exactly offer a wide range. Thus, I really need some new quotes books.

They're a combination.  Oh, another book of quotes is - "The Uncommon Scold" a book of quotes by women.  Also the "Quotable Woman".  And if you like Shakespeare - then you'll love - Shakespeare's Insults - Educating Your Wit by Wayne F. Hill and Cynthia J. Ottchen.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:46:04 AM »
They're a combination.  Oh, another book of quotes is - "The Uncommon Scold" a book of quotes by women.  Also the "Quotable Woman".  And if you like Shakespeare - then you'll love - Shakespeare's Insults - Educating Your Wit by Wayne F. Hill and Cynthia J. Ottchen.

Thanks for the suggestions! The books with quotes from women would be especially useful, given that I focus on several strong female characters over the course of my book series. And I do love Shakespeare! I may get that one just for the humor of it, functionality aside.  ;)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! The books with quotes from women would be especially useful, given that I focus on several strong female characters over the course of my book series. And I do love Shakespeare! I may get that one just for the humor of it, functionality aside.  ;)

My pleasure, I love sharing info on books I enjoy with others.
I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs - but I DO DO books. ;D

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
My pleasure, I love sharing info on books I enjoy with others.
I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs - but I DO DO books. ;D

Lol! I get that 100 percent. If you have to be addicted to something, book aren't that bad. Even if its just as expensive a habit as some of the others.  ;)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:54:21 AM »
Lol! I get that 100 percent. If you have to be addicted to something, book aren't that bad. Even if its just as expensive a habit as some of the others.  ;)

It might be an expensive habit but not an ephemeral one.  When you wake up from a reading binge in the morning - they'll still be there. ;D
Oh by the by that one book of quotes by women is called - An Uncommon Scold and is complied and arranged by Abby Adams.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:03 AM »
...as in Abigail Adams?

edit: lmao, nevermind, obviously not. :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:48:55 AM by jeno »
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
...as in Abigail Adams?

edit: lmao, nevermind, obviously not. :D

It's Donald Westlake's wife.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
It might be an expensive habit but not an ephemeral one.  When you wake up from a reading binge in the morning - they'll still be there. ;D
Oh by the by that one book of quotes by women is called - An Uncommon Scold and is complied and arranged by Abby Adams.

Thanks for the recommendation! Looked it up on Amazon and added it to my cart on the spot. Looks seriously awesome!  ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 05:27:10 AM »
It is and my pleasure.