Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 50739 times)

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
Well basically the "Armed Arts" Stunt gives you, depending on the used weapon, a +1 - +3 Bonus on successful physical attacks. Everything else is flavor and doesn't really touch any game mechanics or rules.

"Do you like it? I made it myself." basically gives you the melee combat and defense trappings and the additional weapon bonus, which doesn't really matter, because without the weapon you wouldn't be able to use the skill in a conflict, so it has the same flaw as the weapon skill. But still two trappings (attack + defense) do remain which would be against the rules.

Therefore I would narrow it down further and say:

"Do you like it? I made it myself." (Melee Weapons) / (Ranged Wepons)
A weapon you made yourself, is a weapon you know really well. Use Craftsmanship to make attacks and maneuvers with Weapons you personally built from scratch.
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
Yep. That's good.

Although I can't make sense of the first statement.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:30:03 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Yep. That's good.

Although I can't make sense of the first statement.

He transformed the Stress Bonus range of mundane weapons into +Shifts to successful unarmed attacks.
Adding +x to a successful fists attack is basically the same as using a Weapon:X attack with weapons.

Though i don't really see the relevance of that either...

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
He transformed the Stress Bonus range of mundane weapons into +Shifts to successful unarmed attacks.
Adding +x to a successful fists attack is basically the same as using a Weapon:X attack with weapons.

Though i don't really see the relevance of that either...

I did that to show how i think the "Armed Arts" Stunt works with the fists skill. Earlier you wrote:

Well, there's the Armed Arts stunt for fists that basically allows you to do the same thing. Attack and DEfend with a certain number of types of weapons. And its Types.
The stunt in question here, lets you use Weapons you made yourself. And only those. If you loose your trusty sword, you cannot just pick up another...

I think that makes it actually into a very narrow stunt.

I think that this isn't the correct interpretation of the "Armed Arts" stunt.
The fists skill already has a melee combat and defense trapping, Armed Arts simply gives you an additional Bonus on your attacks under special circumstances (if you use a weapon and your attack is successful).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:54:55 PM by Dumbledresden »
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
Yes. You can find it with the search directions in my earlier post, or by following this link:

http://www.vinlandsolutions.site11.com/Products/DFRPG/index.html

Alternately, there is a fairly comprehensive list compiled by furashgf in my possession. I could send it to you.

actually that'd be awesome thanks man
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
You know, I really would like some feedback on those "experimental" stunts I posted earlier. I don't feel confident enough in their balance to add them to the list.

Conviction:

Threshold Guardian: Your very presence is a shield against the forces of evil. Add three to your Conviction skill when using it in conjunction with the Bless This House
power.
Boosted Hexes: You don’t get along with technology at all. Even compared to other wizards. All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.
Shield Of Dogma: Words are meaningless against your fanatical will. You may use your Conviction skill to defend in social combat.

Craftsmanship:

Percussive Maintenance: Sometimes a malfunctioning gadget just needs a good swift kick. You may spend a fate point to make any repair attempt in one exchange. Treat all such repairs as Jury-Rigged repairs.

Deceit:

The Appearance Of Wealth: You seem like a wealthy and powerful person, regardless of the reality. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Resources skill for the Money Talks trapping.

Discipline:

Control The Conversation: Your tremendous self-control gives you tremendous social control. You may use your Discipline skill to determine initiative in a social conflict.

Intimidation:

Scary Reputation: It’s at lot easier to scare someone if they’re already scared of your reputation. Add two to your Intimidation skill against anyone who knows who or what you are.

Lore:

I Know Fairies: Your knowledge of the supernatural includes personal familiarity with the fey. You may use your Lore skill instead of your Contacts skill when dealing with the fey.

Presence:

Pretty Fly For A Dead Guy: It’s not easy to pull of the “decomposing carcass” look, but you manage it somehow. Ignore two shifts worth of social penalties from Living Dead.
Regal Attitude: You understand how to be powerful, which is much more difficult than it sounds. As long as you are in a position of obvious power, add one to your Presence and Intimidation skills.

Weapons:

Bows Are Weapons: They totally are. You may use your Weapons skill to wield bows.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »
Dunno about the balance, but I love percussive maintenance just for the sheer theme of it

Offline SkywardEyes

• Conversationalist
  • The Myth. The Legend. The One Free Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2010, 03:16:33 AM »
Dunno about the balance, but I love percussive maintenance just for the sheer theme of it

Every time I or someone I know gets a piece of equipment to work again by beating on it my mind just jumps to the Warhammer 40k background of the Omnissiah and its machine spirits. "I COMMAND THEE! WORK OR SUFFER MY DISPLEASURE!!!" ;D
"I serve a clan whose morals change with the seasons. I killed a man who may have been my father. I do not know who I am, but I know that my path is mine and mine alone." Yoritomo Eriko

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
Contacts:

On The Watch: (Requires Ear To The Ground) There’s something that you’re on the watch for, and you have a network of people who will tell you if it happens. The difficulty of any Getting The Tip-Off roll that you make related to that topic is reduced by four. (This doesn’t stack with Ear To The Ground).
Member: You are a member of an organization. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to contact other members of that organization. The situations in which this will be useful depend heavily on the organization.

Conviction:

Righteous: You are nearly unstoppable when you’re doing what’s right. Your Conviction skill is treated as if it were two points higher when determining whether it is high enough to complement another skill with the Righteousness power.

Deceit :

Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: Some faces are just easy to trust, and as a shapeshifter you have access to many of those. Pick a form other than your natural one. As long as you are in that form and visible to your target, add two to your Deceit skill.
Founded Upon Lies: You are very good at turning innocuous lies into devastating arguments. Whenever you invoke or tag an aspect that you created with a Deceit manoeuvre, add two to your roll in addition to the normal benefits.
Defensive Lies: You can come up with a counterpoint to any point, as long as you don’t worry about honesty. You may use your Deceit skill, unmodified, to defend against everything in social combat.

Discipline:

Fearless: You are not easily scared. All attempts to intimidate you suffer a two shift penalty.

Fists:

No Holds Barred Beatdown: What’s the opposite of mercy? Whatever it is, you show plenty of it in your fights. All of your attacks with Fists inflict X additional stress, where X is the level of the worst consequence that you have inflicted on the target this scene.
Breath Control: Your breath is part of your body, just like your fists. Use your Fists skill to wield your Breath Weapon.

Guns :

Personal Arsenal: You own a great number of weapons, and you get new ones all the time. Use your Guns skill instead of your Resources skill when dealing with weaponry.

Intimidation:

Scary As F**k: You are just plain terrifying. There’s no other way to put it. All attacks that you make with the Intimidate skill inflict 2 extra stress.
Polite Threats: (Requires Subtle Menace) It takes a special kind of person to make a death threat at a tea party. You are that special kind of person. You may use Intimidation without being rude or directly threatening someone.

Investigation:

Supernatural Detective: You specialize in the sort of cases that most cops don’t even believe in. Add two to your Investigation skill when investigating magic.
Ask Around: Asking the right questions is a big part of being a good investigator. Use your Investigation skill for the Gathering Information trapping of Contacts.

Performance:

Jester: You are a comedian. +2 to Performance when using it to make jokes and generally be funny.

Presence:

The Opinions Of Your Sort Are Irrelevant to Me: You just don’t really care about what certain beings have to say. Pick a type of being. You have armour: 1 against social attacks from that type of being.

Resources:

Treasure: Your resources are rather old-fashioned: where most people have stocks and bonds, you have gold and jewels. Add two to your Resources skill when using it to buy or already own gold, jewels, and other such things.

Scholarship:

Plastic Surgeon: You know how to rearrange someone’s face permanently. You may use your Scholarship skill to inflict appearance-related aspects on a helpless target. The duration of these aspects is equal to that of a consequence with a value equal to your Scholarship roll.

Weapons :

Warrior Culture: There’s a certain fellowship among those who fight for a living. Use your Weapons skill instead of Contacts when dealing with other warriors (anyone for whom combat is the center of life).

Offline the_glasglow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
For my Mr Miyagi style martial artist
Discipline:
Defensive Focus (use Discipline to defend in close combat)
Use their Strength against them (when defending you may make an automatic grapple or maneuver if successful - opponent's might complements this success (ie apply +1 to the result if their might is greater than your discipline))

Weapons:
Know your blades (make declarations with weapons against an opponent also using weapons(much like martial arts))

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 02:45:58 AM »
Defensive Focus and Know Your Blades look good. With your permission, I would like to add them to the master list.

But Use Their Strength Against Them is too powerful. I suggest that you split it into multiple stunts, and make it consume your next action.

Offline the_glasglow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
Feel free to steal them for the master list ;-)

"Use their strength against them" was always intended to cost the next action (as it is obviously based on a fists version of Riposte)
I also intended defensive Focus to be a prerequisite so:

(when defending with Defensive focus you may make an automatic grapple or maneuver if successful - opponent's might complements this success (ie apply +1 to the result if their might is greater than your discipline) this costs your next action)

Would it be better to make 2 stunts - one for grapple and one for maneuver? or is it the might thing?(to be honest the opponent's might complimenting was mainly for flavour!, but I quite like it)
This was originally for a pacifist character, so I didn't want him to gain any bonus to delivering stress (which is why I tied them up in the one stunt), but you could split it up:

Use their strength against them: Use your opponent's might value to complement any attacks rather than your own
Throws and holds: When defending you may make an automatic grapple or maneuver if successful - this costs your next action

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
Those look good. It seems that you thought this through much better than I gave you credit for.

Fists:

Guard Breaker: You have a talent for getting around certain types of defense. Pick a skill. Add one to your Fists skill when attacking someone who is using that skill to defend.

Guns:

Scope User: You know how to use a scope. Add two to your Guns skill when using it to make maneuvers related to aiming while using a scope or laser sight.

Might:

Chain-Grab: It takes a lot of skill, but it is possible to wrestle two people at once. You may use the rules for spray attacks when grappling.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »
Here's one created for my Seattle game's organization of Auto-didactic Sorcerers with Engineering Backgrounds, The Emerald City Eldritch Engineers or Ecees.

Innovation Trumps Experience(Craftsmanship): Teaching yourself Sorcery with a backround in Engineering means you don't use the "Traditional" Crafting methods. The Strength of Foci and Enchanted items are based off of your Craftsmanship Skill.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
Looks good, Lanodantheon. Mind if I add it to the list?

Burglary:

Security Expert: Knowing how to case a place means that you know how to protect a place against other people with the same idea. You may use your Burglary skill to perform blocks blocking the future use of Burglary against the same target as long as you have a chance to correct the security flaws that you notice.

Contacts:

Too Cool for School: All the kids wanna be just like you. Add two to all Contacts rolls when dealing with young adults between high school and middle school age.

Deceit:

Houdini: You could be found by the police standing next to a burned-down church with a handful of matches and a can of gasoline and still get away scott free. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to cover up or deny involvement in a crime.

Guns:

Ammo Selection: There are a lot of different types of bullet in the world, and each of them is suitable for a different situation. Given the chance to select and use ammunition appropriate to the situation, all of your attacks with Guns inflict two additional stress.

Lore:

A Potion For Everything: You always have exactly the right potion for any situation. Add two to your Lore skill when using it to declare that you have a certain potion.
Occult Crafts: There are some things you just don’t learn to build in shop class. Choose a type of item that has some connection to the occult, like shrunken heads or voodoo dolls. You may use your Lore skill to create or repair items of that type.

Presence:

Respect The Power: You have an inherent advantage in social conflict because of your personal power. When dealing with people who have exceptional reason to respect your authority (like cult members for a cult leader or bureaucrats for a politician) add one to all of your social skills.
Protected By Prejudice: The preconceptions of others make it difficult for them to act against you socially. Choose a common (but not universal) prejudice, like “the elderly should be treated with respect”. As long as that prejudice applies, you have armour 1 against all social attacks. This bonus stacks with other sources of social armour.

Rapport:

My Crowd Likes Me: You get along well with certain people. Choose a type of being (eg. horror movie fans, summoned creatures). Increase your Rapport skill by two when dealing with that type of being.

Weapons:

Enchanted Item Master: Using magical weapons is slightly different from using normal ones, and for you it’s much easier. Add one to your Weapons skill when using it to wield enchanted items.