Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 50272 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »
Weapons - Escrima

Through study of the Filipino martial art, Escrima, you not only know how to wield weapons, you know how to move like one as well. You may make use the Weapons Skill to make unarmed attacks at -1.

Sneaky Bastard
Craftsmanship-You may use your craftsmanship to make attacks at range in an area designated beforehand as your home turf?  (may require demolitions training)

Flawless Parry - When using your a Sword to defend with your weapons skill add 1 to your roll

Perfect Parry - When using a full defence action with a sword add 2 to your weapons defence roll on top of the +2 from full defence.

Mind of Steel: Roll discipline at +2 for defending against Supernatural Mental Attacks

"Good Intentions" (Deceit): +2 to Deceit when faking good intentions.

I Could Have You Killed (Intimidation): +2 to Intimidation when backed up by soldiers.

Stage Presence (Presence): Use Presence for public speaking.

Excellent Speaker (Presence): +2 to public speaking.

Artistic Spirit (Performance): Treat Performance as Fantastic when using it to modify other skills.

Mesmerizing Gaze (Intimidation): +2 to Intimidation when able to force prolonged eye contact.

Actual Priest (Conviction): Use Conviction for religious knowledge.

Falling Spear Technique (Weapons): +1 to any attack in which a JUMPING aspect is tagged.
Gravity Helps (Weapons): Any attack in which a JUMPING aspect is tagged inflicts +2 stress.
Out Of Reach (Athletics): +2 to defense rolls against melee attacks when JUMPING aspect is present.
Blatantly Impossible Jumping Skills (Athletics): (Requires Mighty Leaps) Further +2 to jump-based maneuvers, but all JUMPING aspects are automatically fragile.

Strategist (Scholarship): Use Scholarship +1 to make assessments and declarations about strategy.

I'm Your Friend (Deceit): +2 to Deceit when feigning friendliness or loyalty.
Dishonest Persuasion (Deceit): Use Deceit instead of Rapport for "soft" social attacks.
Thaumaturge (Lore): +2 to Lore when using it to make declarations as part of thaumaturgy preparation.
I'll Just Ignore You (Discipline): Use Discipline for social defence.

Toughness Of Mind And Body (Endurance): Use Endurance to defend against fear.

Supernatural Rolodex (Lore): Use Lore instead of Contacts when dealing with supernatural creatures.
Ancient Knowledge (Lore): Take a point of sponsor debt to get +4 to a Lore roll.
I Have Lived History (Scholarship): +2 to Scholarship concerning the past.
I Know My Own Weaknesses, Thank You Very Much (Lore): +2 to Lore concerning his own catches.

AC Bonus (Athletics): +2 to Athletics defense rolls while unarmed and unarmoured.
Slow Fall (Athletics): Each shift on an Athletics roll counts as 1 armour against falling damage as long as a wall is within arm's reach.

Strategist (Presence): May use Presence +1 for assessments and declarations related to battle strategy.

The King Still Stands (Endurance): 2 extra mild consequences usable only when fighting multiple opponents.

I Do What I Want (Presence): Armour 1 against attempts to order him around.
Applied Knowledge (Lore): Make Declarations at +1 with Lore regarding magic and magical things.

Evasion (Athletics): +2 to dodge area attacks.

Lay On Hands (Conviction): Use Conviction to for medical treatment.

Rapture (Conviction): Use Conviction instead of Deceit for Incite Emotion.
Sing For The Glory Of God (Conviction): Use Conviction instead of Performance when singing about God.
Holy, Holy, Holy (Conviction): +2 to Conviction when using it instead of Performance.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »
@ Sanctaphrax: Thank's for the input. Your suggestion was, what I had in my mind. So, it was more a translation-related problem since i wrote the stunt in german and then tried to translate it for this thread... ::)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
Stirrer (Intimidate)- You are very good at stirring up conflict amongst other people other people. Gain +1 to intimidate attack attempting to get one person angry with another.

Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
Ugh. Following my conversation with Mouse on my recent thread about stunt balance, I figure I need to go over the list and edit out all the +2 to social attack stunts. I may need to add restrictions to the +2 social stress stunts too.

This might take a while.

I think I'll remove the penalty from Escrima, too. It seems unnecessary, given that I'd allow unarmed attacks with Might as a stunt with no penalty. Also, Armed Arts imposes no penalty.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
Mighty Blows (might) - Add 1/2 your might skill rounded down to your Weapons rating whilst wielding two-handed weapons.
Built Like an Ox (might) - Your might score determines your physical stress track instead of endurance.
Overpower (might)-You have learnt to use your might in melee combat to your best advantage.  Use might to compliment your melee weapons attacks in close quarter combat (no throwing) whilst wielding a two-handed weapon. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:40:54 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
Mighty Blows: I don't think so. Too broad, and too strong. With Might 5 it gives +3 stress.

Built Like An Ox: Looks good.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »
@computerking: Very interesting. However, I'm not exactly sure what it's good for, apart from guaranteeing stickiness. Could you please explain?

@both: May I add those to the list?

Sorry for the late response. Yes, the idea behind the stunt was to be "that guy" who does the surgical precision attacks, but with the object to be an advantage that lasts. A virtuoso of the lead pipe, so to speak.And Yes, you can add it to the list when you next update it.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »
I think that Overpower is probably redundant. IIRC, there's something similar on the list already.

Now, to reformat my new additions a little:

Athletics

Evasion: +2 to dodge area attacks.
AC Bonus: +2 to Athletics defense rolls while unarmed and unarmoured.
Slow Fall: Each shift on an Athletics roll counts as 1 armour against falling damage as long as a wall is within arm's reach.
Out Of Reach: +2 to defense rolls against melee attacks when JUMPING aspect is present.
Blatantly Impossible Jumping Skills: (Requires Mighty Leaps) Further +2 to jump-based maneuvers, but all JUMPING aspects are automatically fragile.
The §$%& Bastard Will Not Escape: Get a +2 on athletic rolls when chasing someone in a footrace.

Conviction

Lay On Hands: Use Conviction to for medical treatment.
Rapture: Use Conviction instead of Deceit for Incite Emotion.
Sing For The Glory Of God: Use Conviction instead of Performance when singing about God.
Holy, Holy, Holy: +2 to Conviction when using it instead of Performance.
Actual Priest: Use Conviction for religious knowledge.

Craftsmanship

Sneaky Bastard: You may use your craftsmanship to make attacks at range in an area designated beforehand as your home turf?  (may require demolitions training)

Deceit

I'm Your Friend: +2 to Deceit when feigning friendliness or loyalty.
Dishonest Persuasion: Use Deceit instead of Rapport for "soft" social attacks.
"Good Intentions": +2 to Deceit when faking good intentions.

Discipline

I'll Just Ignore You: Use Discipline for social defence.
Mind of Steel: Roll discipline at +2 for defending against Supernatural Mental Attacks

Endurance

The King Still Stands: 2 extra mild consequences usable only when fighting multiple opponents.
Toughness Of Mind And Body: Use Endurance to defend against fear.

Intimidation

Mesmerizing Gaze: +2 to Intimidation when able to force prolonged eye contact.
I Could Have You Killed: +2 to Intimidation when backed up by soldiers.
Stirrer: You are very good at stirring up conflict amongst other people other people. Gain +1 to intimidate attack attempting to get one person angry with another.

Lore

Applied Knowledge: Make Declarations at +1 with Lore regarding magic and magical things.
Supernatural Rolodex: Use Lore instead of Contacts when dealing with supernatural creatures.
Ancient Knowledge: Take a point of sponsor debt to get +4 to a Lore roll.
I Know My Own Weaknesses, Thank You Very Much: +2 to Lore concerning his own catches.
Thaumaturge: +2 to Lore when using it to make declarations as part of thaumaturgy preparation.

Might

Built Like An Ox: Your might score determines your physical stress track instead of endurance.

Performance

Artistic Spirit: Treat Performance as Fantastic when using it to modify other skills.

Presence

I Do What I Want: Armour 1 against attempts to order him around.
Strategist: May use Presence +1 for assessments and declarations related to battle strategy.
Stage Presence: Use Presence for public speaking.
Excellent Speaker: +2 to public speaking.

Scholarship

I Have Lived History: +2 to Scholarship concerning the past.
Strategist: Use Scholarship +1 to make assessments and declarations about strategy.

Weapons

Falling Spear Technique: +1 to any attack in which a JUMPING aspect is tagged.
Gravity Helps: Any attack in which a JUMPING aspect is tagged inflicts +2 stress.
Flawless Parry: When using your a Sword to defend with your weapons skill add 1 to your roll
Perfect Parry: When using a full defence action with a sword add 2 to your weapons defence roll on top of the +2 from full defence.
Escrima: Through study of the Filipino martial art, Escrima, you not only know how to wield weapons, you know how to move like one as well. You may make use the Weapons Skill to make unarmed attacks at -1.
Precision Strike: You know where to hit, and how to make it count. Gain +2 on any Weapons maneuver, but only after the target’s defenses fail to prevent the maneuver from succeeding.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
Rewriting the stunts as preparation for inclusion in the master list.

Some stunts are being added, modified or removed during this step, based on my whims.

Don't worry, I won't do anything too drastic to other people's stuff.

Not very happy with the Sneaky Bastard rewording. I'd appreciate help with it.

Athletics

Evasion: Like the members of certain character classes from Dungeons And Dragons (version 3.5), you have an amazing ability to remain unharmed when caught within the area of effect of an explosion. Add two to your Athletics-based defence rolls against area attacks.
Unhindered Defences: Armour and weapons are wonderful things, but they tend to slow a fellow down. So you don't carry weapons or wear armour. Add two to your Athletics defence rolls as long as you are unarmed and unarmoured.
Land On Your Feet: Like a cat, you are able to fall from great heights without great harm. When making an Athletics roll to resist falling damage, do not halve the result before converting it to armour.
Spring-Heeled: Maybe you don't actually have springs in your heels, but it sure looks as though you do. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to jump.
Fight By Jumping: (Requires Spring-Heeled) It is normally a very bad idea to jump up high while fighting, but you make it work. Increase your Athletics skill by a further two when making a jump-based maneuver in combat, but all aspects created this way are automatically fragile.
Out Of Reach: (Requires Fight By Jumping) It isn't easy to hit a guy who's five feet above your head. So long as you possess an aspect created through Fight By Jumping, add two to your defence rolls against melee attacks.
The §$%& Bastard Will Not Escape: Nobody gets away from you. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to chase someone.

Conviction

Lay On Hands: Faith healing actually works. At least, it does for you. Use your Conviction skill instead of your Scholarship skill for medical treatment.
Force Of Will: Emotional manipulation isn't just a trick; it's a direct exercise of your will. Use your Conviction skill instead of your Deceit skill with your Incite Emotion power.
Actual Priest: You are an actual priest, which means that you need to know some religious doctrine. Use your Conviction skill to determine your religious knowledge.

Craftsmanship

Sneaky Bastard: You are an expert in the subtle art of booby-trapping an area. If given time to prepare a location, you may create traps in that location. Activating a trap is an attack that uses your Craftsmanship skill, with a weapon rating that depends on what the trap consists of. Traps may be activated at any distance that seems reasonable, and they do not necessarily have to be single-use.

Deceit

I'm Your Friend: You are a very convincing fake friend. Add two to your Deceit skill when feigning friendliness or loyalty.
Dishonest Persuasion: If being charming doesn't make people do what you want them to do, lie your ass off. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill in order to make social attacks based off of persuasion.
"Good Intentions": Everyone you meet is certain that you intend nothing but what is best for everyone. Add two to your Deceit skill when faking good intentions.

Discipline

I'll Just Ignore You: Counterarguments are a waste of time. You prefer to simply not listen to the people you disagree with. You may use your Discipline skill for the social defence trapping of Rapport.
Mind of Steel: Magical mental influence is useless against your fortress-like mind! Add two to your Discipline skill when using it to defend against supernatural mental attacks.

Endurance

The King Still Stands: You are the king! An army of commoners is nothing more than fodder for your sword to cut down. When fighting against multiple opponents on your own, you may take two additional mild physical consequences.
Toughness Of Mind And Body: A guy as tough as you has no need to be afraid. You may use your Endurance skill to resist fear.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:50:16 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2011, 03:58:18 AM »
More rewrites. Have decided to worry about limiting social attack boosts later, because of uncertainty about the proper approach and a good deal of trouble with wording. As a result, am upgrading Stirrer to provide +2 and to apply to maneuvers as well as attacks. Do not expect this to last.

Intimidation

Mesmerizing Gaze: Something about your eyes is frightening to people. Perhaps it's something similar to the effect behind a wizard's soulgaze. Add two to your Intimidation skill when able to force prolonged eye contact with your target.
I Could Have You Killed: Having a bunch of minions makes you scarier. Scientific fact. Add two to your Intimidation skill when you have subordinates present.
Stirrer: You are very good at stirring up conflict amongst other people. Add to two to your intimidate skill when attempting to get one person angry with another.

Lore

Applied Knowledge: You can always come up with some little fact that gives you an advantage. Add two to your Lore skill when using it for the occult equivalent of the Declaring Minor Details trapping of Scholarship.
Thaumaturge: Thaumaturgy is about knowledge, more than anything else. And you have that knowledge. Add two to your Lore skill when using it to make declarations as part of thaumaturgy preparation.

Might

Built Like An Ox: You are a solid block of muscle, and that lets you take a lot of punishment. Use your Might skill to determine the length of your physical stress track.

Performance

Artistic Spirit: You might not actually be much of an artist, but you could have been a great one if your life had gone differently. Your Performance skill is considered to be Fantastic whenever it would complement, restrict, or otherwise modify another skill.

Presence

I Do What I Want: You don't take no orders from nobody. You have social armour 1 against social attacks phrased as commands.
Strategist: Unlike most people, you have been trained in the science of military strategy. Add a trapping called Strategy to Presence. This trapping allows you to make Assessments, Declarations, and other rolls related to strategy with your Presence skill.

Scholarship

I Have Lived History: You know the history of the world very well because you were around for most of it. Add two to your Scholarship skill when using it for knowledge of the past.
Strategist: Unlike most people, you have been trained in the science of military strategy. Add a trapping called Strategy to Scholarship. This trapping allows you to make Assessments, Declarations, and other rolls related to strategy with your Scholarship skill.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:20:04 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
Was going to play a character that was infamous rather than famous.  I think the Famous stunt on the master list should work fine.

Is there a reason to change the Famous stunt to fit an Infamous character rather than a famous one; other than renaming the stunt?

For example: Infamy(Infamous) : +2 to presensce rolls when your reputation comes into play.  Just a rename really.  Should it be any different?

I should point out this querry has nothing to do with the Playstation game by the same name.  It's more for a gambler gunfighter type.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
I see no need to change it.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
I made a line of stunts (one stunt is a prerequisite for the other 5), and I'm wondering what you think of them. I think that some work better than others and nearly all can be named better (I can never think of a good name for a stunt, even if I can explain why I think the stunt makes sense).

-1: Professional Detective: Add Sleuthing trapping to Investigation **(This is a prerequisite for)
-1: **Make them slip up: You are adept at angering your suspect just enough to make him/her say something they wouldn't have normally. Roll Investigation for Provocation when questioning someone (not for random insults)
-1: **Little Lies: Lying is easier the closer to the truth it is. Roll Investigation for Falsehood and Deception when part of a truth is in the lie
-1: **It’s part of the job: Sometimes looking like someones else is just part of the job. Roll Investigation for creating a disguise (not sure about what the limit on this would be)
-1: **Look behind you…: Following someone is easy, doing it without their knowledge is the trick, and you've got that trick down. Roll Investigation for Shadowing when following a suspect
-1: **I will find out what I want to know: Roll Investigation for Interrogation when interrogating a suspect

All of the ** stunts are using the Sleuthing trapping. A character with these skills would naturally have very high Investigation, giving them a foot in a few social and stealthy trappings, but not enough to make those skills obsolete. These let the character do their job well and allow the player room for specialization. Maybe they want their detective to be fairly combat oriented, or a stealthy, alert infiltrator, or able to talk rings around even the best debaters.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
I think that you're putting too many restrictions on these stunts. A stunt can generally move a trapping under all circumstances or move an entire skill under some circumstances.

Thematic justifications are decent, except for the one for Little Lies. I don't understand how that relates to Investigation.

What does the Sleuthing trapping do?

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
Craftsmanship:

Big Pocking Wrench: + 1 to Fixing & +1 to Breaking when Portella uses his Big Pocking Wrench.

(John Ringo "Empire of Man" reference)

Scavenger: -2 time shifts on Building and Fixing when you have access to equipment (functional or not) that might reasonably supply parts for whatever it is you're trying to build or fix.  Note: They don't work after they've been scavenged.

AKA "Kit Bashing"

Automotive Genius: +2 to all craftsmanship rolls related to cars.  This bonus drops off as you get further and further away from cars.  It might provide a +1 when working with a Semi Trailer, and no benefit at all when working on an Abrams.

NOTE: You can replace "Automotive" with "electronics", "chemical", "Sword smith", etc, etc.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]