Author Topic: My profile (Why is my email addy showing)  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
My profile (Why is my email addy showing)
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:43 AM »
I don't like that my email address seems to be showing on my profile (at least when I look at it).  I want to get it off of there but I can't find any setting that allows me to do that.  Anyone able to help me?

Edit:  I just logged out and looked at my profile, and under email address, it says "hidden" is this the case for all users, or just people lurking without logging in?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:24:43 AM by balltongue9600 »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline horsehearted

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • I have a tumblr
Re: My profile (Why is my email addy showing)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:59:52 AM »
If you check the "Hidden" box next to where your email address is entered in yoru profile you can see it, no one else can. Except maybe the mods.
Seriously - with proper battering & frying, tractor parts are delicious!
I'M A PRETTY, PRETTY PRINCESS!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:38:18 AM »
There's a box in the "Account Related Settings" section of the profile: "Hide email address from public?"  I just checked it for you, so your email will be hidden from all but the admins.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
thanks, found it now.  BTW are the changes spoilers rules in the spoilers rules due for revision yet?
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
thanks, found it now.  BTW are the changes spoilers rules in the spoilers rules due for revision yet?

Huh? Why would they be revised?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
Huh? Why would they be revised?

Being new around here, I am still getting familiar with the moderation of spoilers.  My earlier comment was WRT the bolded, itallicized part of this quote from the post defining what is needed spoilerwise for changes.  

Just fyi...when it starts hitting the shelves, spoilers will fly faster than some people can get their hands on it (or, in some cases, faster than others will read).

To that end, I ask these things:
1) Keep actual spoilers out of the titles. These titles can be seen from the main board, sometimes, and sometimes folks hit the spoiler boards regarding past books.
2) Put CHANGES SPOILER in the title somewhere for a few weeks*, so people who haven't been able to get their hands on it as fast as you won't stumble across a spoiler by accident, perusing here for speculation or talk about older books.
3) Spoilers revealed in online reviews are still spoilers, and must be hidden under the spoiler tag.

NOTE: It doesn't matter how minor the spoiler is...we're not going there. Period.

The point being, it's been a little more than a few weeks, and being new around here I'm not sure where the lines are and didn't want to get clubbed over the head for crossing one unawares.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31:30 PM »
The general rule when determining whether or not something is a spoiler is this:

Did it come out this year?
Is it from a book that is currently only available in hardcover form?
Do I have any doubts about whether or not it's a spoiler?

If you answered "yes" to ANY of the above questions, it counts as a spoiler.  Take it to the correct board.

Taken from here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18.0.html
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
Taken from here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18.0.html

those rules are in and I would guess for another "board" other than the DF spoiler one.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
those rules are in and I would guess for another "board" other than the DF spoiler one.

Not precisely. Look at the path displayed at the top of that link's page:

Jim-Butcher.Com Community > The Dresden Files > DF Books > This is a NO SPOILERS zone

After the "couple of weeks" (always err on the side of caution), it's not IMPERATIVE that you write "Changes spoilers"... but it's still a nice thing to do for the year following the book's release, until the next book comes out. For that matter, it's a nice thing to do, period; we get plenty of new enthusiasts joining these boards over time, and not all of them have yet completed reading the entire series.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »

After the "couple of weeks" (always err on the side of caution), it's not IMPERATIVE that you write "Changes spoilers"... but it's still a nice thing to do for the year following the book's release, until the next book comes out. For that matter, it's a nice thing to do, period; we get plenty of new enthusiasts joining these boards over time, and not all of them have yet completed reading the entire series.

I guess the reason why I mentioned it is because, as one of these newbies (gradually growing up though) I was headily impressed with the mod's desire that spoilers be labled, but couldn't quite understand the current requirements considering the first few weeks described in the rules for spoiler tags had gone by.

I had found the topic quoted above by Magnus, but it's in the spoiler free zone, so it made their application in the spoiler ok zone ambiguous to me. 

From the outside coming in, it is my estimation that the boards used to have a system of labels and segregation that the mods heavily enforced.  Then new tools came out (the spoiler mask), making the old system a little obsolite, but the integration of the 2 systems seems to have caused some ambiguity in the system as a whole (from the perspective of a newb).
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
Other way around; mod enforcement of spoiler rules has gotten stricter, as a result of heavy abuse of leniency beforehand.

And, in the end, the spoiler tagging is irrelevant to the point you highlighted; spoiler tags are only applicable in the body of a post, NOT in its title, and it's the title that shows up for everyone who uses "Recent unread topics" and "New replies", potentially spoiling it for people who haven't read the book in question.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »

Jim-Butcher.Com Community > The Dresden Files > DF Books > This is a NO SPOILERS zone

Ok revisiting this because I tried to mention these rules to someone else else in the spoilers forum and they obviously were confused.

The path Shecky quoted goes to the DF Books board.  The board that I was talking about needing a rules refresher is the DF Spoilers board

Jim-Butcher.Com Community > The Dresden Files > DF Spoilers > Changes...Early Spoiler Rules

Since the only spoiler rules specified in the DF Spoiler board are now apparently outdated, and the only rules that define a spoiler (and therefore when spoiler tags/masking are needed) are in a different board, it invites confusion like this poster displayed when I tried to remind them of rules that arn't even posted in the board I am trying to help him apply them to:

P.S. if you are responding to a topic that doesn't say spoiler in the title you should generally put spoiler tags on anything that reveals details from anything not already out in paperback.
?

I have no issue with spoiler tagging and such.  I think they are a great tool that should be used and enforced.  However, as a newbie that is only now learning the ropes for said spoilerage tagging, I feel that the rules as they are being enforced, arn't defined very well for/in the DF Spoiler forum.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:36:08 PM by balltongue9600 »
DF WoJ Compilation