Author Topic: A Gambling Man  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
A Gambling Man
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
So, what's your way of making a character a gambler, card shark, whatever?

It looks like it definitely falls under the Deceit skill, but would you insist on the use of a stunt to add an extra trapping for it?  Or would a "+2 to Deceit when playing cards" stunt be enough?  Could that +2 cover just bluffing or cheating alone, or a combination of bluffing and cheating?  Maybe, +1 on each, from the one stunt? Or is that two separate stunts, one for each 'ability'?

I'm trying to work out a way to do it without going stunt-crazy.  I appreciate any suggestions y'all might have.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: A Gambling Man
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
So, what's your way of making a character a gambler, card shark, whatever?

It looks like it definitely falls under the Deceit skill, but would you insist on the use of a stunt to add an extra trapping for it?  Or would a "+2 to Deceit when playing cards" stunt be enough?  Could that +2 cover just bluffing or cheating alone, or a combination of bluffing and cheating?  Maybe, +1 on each, from the one stunt? Or is that two separate stunts, one for each 'ability'?

I'm trying to work out a way to do it without going stunt-crazy.  I appreciate any suggestions y'all might have.

I guess part of it depends on the game.  Roulette is a very different beast from poker.  Blackjack is all about knowing the odds -- or counting the cards.  Craps is pretty close to luck, with a heavy helping of the odds on the side.  But let's go with poker, since that's what you appear to be pointing at above when you talk about bluffing.

Personally, if a character were really interested in making a gambler and it somehow became important to the game, I would run it as a full social combat.  Deceit, Empathy, Rapport, and Presence would all be vital.  I doubt that Intimidation would play much part -- unless the card game is in the Old West or somewhere equally lawless -- but the rest would be important.  *Especially* Rapport for the Closing Down and Opening Up trappings -- think of the movie Maverick (original or remake) where he spends an hour 'learning' the people around the table so he can figure out how they bet.

At least one Stunt would *HAVE* to be "Know when to fold 'em".   ;D

While some might interpret it differently, adding to rolls in a card game is a pretty limited facet.  I would probably use the "Vampirologist" example mortal stunt (YS p148) as my starting point, giving a +1 to Deceit rolls related to games of Chance, with an additional +1 when using Deceit for bluffing at poker.  (Or whatever your chosen game might be...)

I would probably also take a stunt -- assuming your character is a *professional* gambler -- that gave the character additional minor social consequences for playing poker.  This would be similar to the "Resilient Self-Image" stunt on the same page.

DEFINITELY need at least one Aspect -- if not the High Concept! -- referring to his gambling skill as well...  Gotta be able to tap into some luck from the Lady when you need it.  :)

All that assumes that your GM runs it like I would, as a Social Combat.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »
Spirit of the Century actually has a skill called "Gambling". I'd suggest looking that up. There's some awesome stunts in there too for the kind of character you're talking about.

"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »
Seems like Empathy might be valuable in allowing you to make assessments...