Author Topic: Emissary of Lady Luck  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Emissary of Lady Luck
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:22 AM »
One of the things I'd go for with a concept like this is actually leaving as large a chunk of refresh free as possible and making sure the aspects I grabbed would generate a lot of fate points. The reason here is kind of simple. I've been looking at dumping fate points as a sort of luck in action. If your compels are going to show up as bad luck, it reinforces some fun story concepts too (assuming you like them). Namely that she's a fickle lady and bad luck is just as much her thing as good luck is. You could also introduce a sort of balanced luck concept in that explains away the game effects if your group likes the idea (probably best to check it doesn't muck up anyone's suspension of disbelief before you chat about it in character though).

All in all it would probably make the character more interesting as well. Being lucky is great and all but if you think about it almost every hero has great luck. I mean, they generally live through the messes they find themselves in. That's often pretty exceptional luck all on it's own. The ones that stand out as lucky to us are the ones who repeatedly trip up and end up in the worst of it before things get better for them. And the best way to make that happen in this system is to have a decent amount of fate points available to start and aspects that just beg the GM to be evil and mess with you. Should be a lot of fun to roleplay within the group too, especially if they know what you are.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
Oh, I'm not really thinking of a character that has astounding good luck or anything.  This dude is going to be granting luck (good or bad) to others.  And yeah, he'll be using some of his stuff to benefit himself too, but all the other Emissaries seem to do that too.  What I'm envisioning is something like this:

Fighting on soil during a rainstorm?  He uses his Sponsored Magic to throw down a low-grade entropy curse to apply the maneuver SLIPPERY WHEN WET to the scene, which he can then tag to trip his enemy up.  Or if they're fighting close to a cliff?  Hope the enemy's ONE LITTLE MISSTEP doesn't send them plummeting to their doom...

Alternately...

You've got his buddy dead to rights and are about to fill him full of lead?  Hope he doesn't have a LUCKY BREAK and manage to dodge everything.  Or perhaps another buddy had to do a little B&E to get some information on the powerful mystical artifact the group is trying to find before the bad guys, and he just broke the last pick he had in the kit he grabbed and is desperately searching for some way out while the footsteps of the night watchman grow closer.  It'd really be LUCKY YOU'VE GOT THAT SPARE in that situation, wouldn't it?

And sure, maybe sometimes it's him that needs that lucky break or that lucky spare.  Those can still be double-edged swords.  Maybe the enemy goes down in the mud, but spends a fate point to tag the aspect to drag him down too.  Maybe the one falling off the cliff grapples my dude and tries to pull him down.  Maybe the ally that dodges the bullets ends up captured by the enemy and interrogated into giving away vital info on the good guys.  Etc. etc.  Plus, there'll be all the compels from the fickle lady to deal with.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
Also, the Sponsored Magic fate point debt system works especially well thematically with Lady Luck; after all, if you roll the dice enough times, eventually they come up snake eyes.

Also, LL could easily compel the character to get involved with people who "fix the odds" in their favor in any number of ways: politicians who rig elections, lawyers or crime bosses who rig juries or judges who do the same, gambling houses who fix the slots or cards, or roulette wheel. She might compel him to assist those who rely on her good graces regularly: extreme sports folks, thieves and rogues of any stripe, even the down-and-out who need LL to look their way *just once*... all those are great scenario opportunities.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Kragshot

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 02:10:43 AM »
I have a simple -2 refresh power for one of my players. "Minor Fey Luck;" which gives a character a free re-roll twice a game session. The only limitations are that they have to keep the second roll and that it can't be used on the same skill attempt or in the same scenario more than once.
"Ignorance is bliss, my friend. Don't burden yourself with the secrets of scary people."

Carmine Falcone

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 02:44:59 AM »
IMO, that power is overpriced at -2 Refresh, especially since it isn't much more powerful than using a Fate point to invoke an aspect for  a reroll. It would definitely be -1 refresh in a game I ran.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel