Author Topic: Chronomancer  (Read 2579 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Chronomancer
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
Name: Stephen "Squeeky" Wulmach

Role:  Focused Practitioner (time)

High Concept:  ML Baseball Playing Chronomancer.  Kinda.
Troubles:  
    Wronged by Media.  
    Paranoid Wardens.
Aspects:
    15 minutes of (in)famous.  
    Fastest arm alive.
    Vampires killed my mother.

Great:   Conviction, Baseball(thrown weapons)
Good:      Athletics, Endurance
Fair:    Alertness, Lore
Average: Presence, Resources

Powers:
0 Wizard's Constitution
-2 Channeling (time)
-1 Baseball Pitcher.  Can throw projectiles two zones.

Magic:
Speed Up:  
By slowing time around him, Stephen can move and act faster.  While he gets better reflexes, the rote version of the spell will not make him vampire-fast.
The main use for this is to throw 120mph projectiles.  Deadly, with the aim of a world-class pitcher behind them.  

Note that the rote version of the spell is about 50% speedup for two exchanges.  It gets progressively harder to speed things up more/longer.

Snel Shield:  
You know how a spoon looks bent when you put it in a glass of water?  Snel's law.  This shield is an inverted V of slow time.  As a projectile passes through the shield, parts of it will move faster than the rest (time passes slower inside the shield).  This causes the projectile to veer of course and miss.  Note that this only really works for aimed projectiles.  Spray bullets, and something will hit.

The rote version of the spell is a defensive shield that deflects incoming projectiles for 2 Exchanges.

Foci:
Mother's watch:  +1 to control (he has played with changing the ticking speed for years).

Baseball cap:  +1 to throwing (it "feels right").

Background:

Even without magic, Stephen would have been at the top of the list of Minor League Pitchers.  At a young age however, Stephen noticed that
he could speed up or slow down his mother's watch simply by concentrating.  More experimentation showed him the possibilities of throwing a projectile while slowing time around him.  When time "goes back to normal", that object is suddenly moving much faster.

Armed with this secret, Stephen gained instant recognition with his 120mph fastball.  Unfortunately, this recognition also earned him the suspicion of the Wardens.

First adventure:

After playing in two major-league games and making headlines, Stephen ran into a Red Court Vampire operation (fixing the games?).  Rushing in head-first (hatred for monsters), he nearly got killed.  Luckily, the Vampires didn't want the attention they would gain from killing a minor celebrity.  Instead, they uses the Kiss on him, leaving him drugged for the authorities to find.  Allegations of drug-use followed, and Stephen was forced out of professional baseball playing.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:29:51 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Chronomancer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »
I'd just call the Baseball skill Weapons, or Fists with Armed Arts for a stunt. Also, you could give him a baseball bat to go with his balls, as a melee weapon. Also, I'd make time go faster inside the shield. If it goes slower, then the bullet would turn inward. Very bad.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
I'd just call the Baseball skill Weapons, or Fists with Armed Arts for a stunt.

Not a bad idea.  It also makes him a bit more versatile.

Also, I'd make time go faster inside the shield. If it goes slower, then the bullet would turn inward. Very bad.

That's why the shield is shaped like an inverted wedge.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
i totally need to make a character like this one for my game
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
Great:   Conviction, Baseball(thrown weapons)
Good:      Athletics, Endurance
Fair:    Alertness, Lore
Average: Presence, Resources

Powers:
0 Wizard's Constitution
-2 Channeling (time)
-1 Baseball Pitcher.  Can throw projectiles two zones.

I'd just create a Stunt that adds the Distance Weaponry trapping to the Athletics skill instead of taking the Weapons skill itself.  Unless, of course, you want him to also be a Great swordsman...
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
Only one baseball stunt?

Not something that let's you assess a batter's stance to better determine get a pitch past them?

I just thought of an awesome baseball action though... "Wild Pitch" use a thrown weapon for a block, could also be a maneuver.

I think I'm going to have to make Fate Baseball rules now...

FYI: I noticed you don't have Discipline...  That is going to make spellcasting very difficult.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Kragshot

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
That's cool; I like the concept of a former ballplayer with magic and an axe to grind against the Red Court.

I have a wizard who uses "time" as one of his elements, and a fob watch as his focus.
"Ignorance is bliss, my friend. Don't burden yourself with the secrets of scary people."

Carmine Falcone

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
Only one baseball stunt?

Actually, I like that there's only one baseball stunt.  This shows that he isn't the world's best player when it comes to talent or skill and that he used magic to be good.  Take away his magical ability and he wouldn't make it as pro player.

Richard

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Actually, I like that there's only one baseball stunt.  This shows that he isn't the world's best player when it comes to talent or skill and that he used magic to be good.  Take away his magical ability and he wouldn't make it as pro player.

Richard

Exactly.

This guy is on the lower end of the power spectrum, both mortal and magical.  He's an athletic guy with an above average talent for baseball, but without his time-control he wouldn't have made it past the minor leagues.

If you wanted to go full-bore "submerged", you could give him a few more baseball-related abilities, as well as a permanent inhuman speed (-2) or better to reflect his ability to constantly change time without an effort.

DV Geek code:

Offline Pirogath

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »
Ha ha, I really like your take on "chronomancy" rather than a very broad look its really narrow and in the here and now (ironic). I find the ball player thing hilarious since my buddy is doing something similar. A minor league ball player, an "aeromance" he uses wind to propel his landing hits clear out of the park. he decided to keep the player a minor league player by giving him a horrible batting average (and making him older and thus less likely to be upped to the majors)

Great character btw.. id say great minds think a like but i dont want to insult you (knowing my friend  ;D)

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
Ha ha, I really like your take on "chronomancy" rather than a very broad look its really narrow and in the here and now (ironic). I find the ball player thing hilarious since my buddy is doing something similar. A minor league ball player, an "aeromance" he uses wind to propel his landing hits clear out of the park. he decided to keep the player a minor league player by giving him a horrible batting average (and making him older and thus less likely to be upped to the majors)

Great character btw.. id say great minds think a like but i dont want to insult you (knowing my friend  ;D)

How do you know I'm not this same friend you're talking about, Ed?   ;D
DV Geek code: