Author Topic: Chloromancy (you know... plant spells)  (Read 7643 times)

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Chloromancy (you know... plant spells)
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
"Oh, and fungus and mold is technically not plant, but a category of its own. Difference between botany and mycology."

Bah I say. After all, chlorophyll is found "in almost all plants, algae, and cyanobacteria." Which implies that some actual plants don't have it and some non-plants do. But really that's not the point. I'm just liking the idea of magic based in/of plant-y type things, and I'll include fungus & lichens in there because in my head they are all in "a group" - and how I think is how my character's magic would play out.

Dian

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
"Oh, and fungus and mold is technically not plant, but a category of its own. Difference between botany and mycology."

Bah I say. After all, chlorophyll is found "in almost all plants, algae, and cyanobacteria." Which implies that some actual plants don't have it and some non-plants do. But really that's not the point. I'm just liking the idea of magic based in/of plant-y type things, and I'll include fungus & lichens in there because in my head they are all in "a group" - and how I think is how my character's magic would play out.

Dian

Just be sure to give your character a low Scholarship ;)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
The thread lives!!!

ahm anyways...

Not really, but he grows on you.
nice one  ;D

I like the Mycomancer idea, would fit perfectly as the evil twin version to the chloromancer, I think. I tend to create evil versions of the characters for them to fight during a game, if I happen to be the GM. It tends to give each player a time to shine, when "their" villain is up. Plus less need to pull up lots of nameless NPCs to keep 'em busy.

I've been thinking about a stunt for the chloromancer, maybe you can help me out there.
She is going to have an aspect like "at natures pace", which basically describes her use of the art: slow but powerful and in line with the seasons.
To reflect that even better I thought about giving her a stunt that would give her a bonus of +1 to the power of spells to let plants grow in spring and summer and +1 to the power of spells to let any vegetation wither in fall and winter and have a -1 on the adverse type of spells.
Then I thought, that this could also be done by the aspect described above, collecting compels anytime you try casting a spell that does not fit the season and in return using those to boost the spells that do fit.

First, you need to allocate power for the base effect (usually around 3).  Then, you want time.  As your base time will be '1 day', going up 13 steps on the time chart (assuming I've counted right) to 'several mortal lifetimes' adds another 13 complexity.  Then at least 2 complexity to effect a single zone.  So you are only looking at complexity 18, +2 for every zone after the first.

Well that would be a spell to have a zone grow in a day, I wanted it to grow in a matter of minutes. You could prepare stuff like special seeds etc. to get the complexity and once you need it to go it would only take you like 15 minutes to pull it of.

Channeling/Ritual would keep the refresh down.  Typically, catches are reserved for sponsored magic (like Fae), so rely on compels to make situations interesting.
The idea was for this character to be a focused practitioner, so it definitely is channeling and ritual. I don't think updating at any time would fit the characters theme, so she would probably just get refinement for more focus and enchanted item slots.
I think I like focused practitioners better for that particular reason. They are only good at a single type of spells, but those they do with a lot more style than your average White Council Wizard, I think. Also got a sartoryomncer in the stables, sort of an assassin with a knack for spells involving clothes (sort of a Binder type, walking the line of the lawbreaker, never crossing it). You can't do much if your clothes block your movement. Of course you can easily get around this if you know what you're up against, but... how do you explain that one to the cops?  ;D

should stop babbling on now. need sleep...
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 07:12:51 AM »
"I like the Mycomancer idea, would fit perfectly as the evil twin version to the chloromancer, I think. I tend to create evil versions of the characters for them to fight during a game, if I happen to be the GM. It tends to give each player a time to shine, when "their" villain is up. Plus less need to pull up lots of nameless NPCs to keep 'em busy."

That is totally cool! I have (well had) a habit of keeping all my old NPCs and such from various campaigns and re-using them in new places. Depending on which Players were present, sometimes I didn't even have to rename them.

On the "rapid growth" idea, maybe it could be stored in a potion, and sprinkled from a watering can.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »
Four words: Giant Venus Fly Trap.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Okay, how about this: Intelligent Giant Slime Mold

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/jan/071

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
"I like the Mycomancer idea, would fit perfectly as the evil twin version to the chloromancer, I think. I tend to create evil versions of the characters for them to fight during a game, if I happen to be the GM. It tends to give each player a time to shine, when "their" villain is up. Plus less need to pull up lots of nameless NPCs to keep 'em busy."

I love this. it's just the kind of warped, evil and totally time saving device that I want as a DM.