Author Topic: Historic Dresden Files  (Read 5318 times)

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Dresden Files
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
I am planning my game to be a "Roaring 20's meets Sky Captain" with gang warfare in full swing, dirigibles in the air along side older planes (fewer jets as larger percent of population & many captains of industry prefers boats, trains and dirigibles for some odd reason), steam powered cars, and so on, yet set closer to the "modern day" in many ways.

In other words, since Dresden is written in the style of Mike Hammer, etc, it feels more right in a similar era, at least when I am running it.  :)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 06:59:11 AM »
I'll second all of UltraTrolls movie suggestions especially if you can find them all. Grim Prairie Tales might be pretty tough to track down, but worth it.

You might also give Ravenous (1999) a try as well, it's a little earlier then the time period you were looking for, but an interesting take on a horror/supernatural western story.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
I'll second all of UltraTrolls movie suggestions especially if you can find them all. Grim Prairie Tales might be pretty tough to track down, but worth it.

You might also give Ravenous (1999) a try as well, it's a little earlier then the time period you were looking for, but an interesting take on a horror/supernatural western story.

Yes, Ravenous (1999), I was racking my brain trying to think of the title of that one. Sadly Grim Prairie Tales is not on DVD.

Offline Stormtower

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
I'm not sure what folks should be around as NPCs, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the topic was:

1.  A "supernaturally" fast gunslinger that spends many nights at the local brothel...
2.  A rumor of a phantom train that runs on certain nights.  Legend says if you see it, that you are doomed to death in 1 weeks time.
3.  An old copper mine in the hills that on some nights has strange noises coming from it that sound like men working with pick axes...problem is, the mine has been out of comission for many years.

I know it has nothing to do with historical figures for npcs, but maybe some plot ideas?

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 05:02:37 AM »
"Look who's coming.  Breakfast, lunch, and reinforcements."

*shiver*
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:28 AM »
I'm kinda thinking Injun Joe might be busy. Based on some comments made about his past and since the time you picked is between the Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee, it would make sense for him to be dealing with complications somewhere around then.

For a fun little romp on the web that might give you some ideas go read Scryer's Gulch at http://www.meilinmiranda.com/scryers-gulch-toc. It has a western setting with some supernatural background. I think you could use a lot of the elements in it as-is too. Although the White Council would want to crucify Annabelle (the main character) on general principle for binding a demon.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 02:43:28 AM »
I've been thinking about how to add some color to a historical game.

I'm thinking about adding these stunts (these are very rough, at the moment):

Gunslinger. Either add +1 to Alertness at the very start of a conflict wherein you intend to use a pistol, or roll against everyone else with Gunslinger to determine initiative. This is a Guns stunt.

Ropin' the Wind. With a successful roll you can lasso a target one area away. With the right equipment, you can stop/trip a target your ize or smaller. The right equipment means a western saddle and a trained horse [effective against creatures up to the same size as the horse.] This can also be used with specially rigged vehicles, like a catch truck in Africa. This is a Weapons stunt.

Teamster. Similar to Driving, this applies to animal drawn vehicles, controlling and basic care. This is a Survival Trapping.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:24 AM »
Does Animal Handling already cover "Teamster"?

Animal Handling is a catchall for social interaction with animals, but isn't driving them tantamount to convincing them to walk?
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »
Does Animal Handling already cover "Teamster"?

Animal Handling is a catchall for social interaction with animals, but isn't driving them tantamount to convincing them to walk?

I think using them with a wagon/cart is different than plain Animal Handling because you need to make sure that the animal(s) are properly harnessed - both for their safety and for maximum effectiveness - as well as knowing just what your wagon can be called upon to carry out. I know that backing a horsedrawn wagon is far more complicated than a car - some horses just will not back up, too.

I'm also trying to cover what I've faced in the past thirty years of gaming & GMing.

I've experienced PCs driving a stagecoach trying to outmaneuver a gang on horseback (*I* was simply trying to shoot at the bad guys ;D) & I did have a PC try to lasso a stegosaurus at one time. :o

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:42:28 AM »
I am planning my game to be a "Roaring 20's meets Sky Captain" with gang warfare in full swing, dirigibles in the air along side older planes (fewer jets as larger percent of population & many captains of industry prefers boats, trains and dirigibles for some odd reason), steam powered cars, and so on, yet set closer to the "modern day" in many ways.

In other words, since Dresden is written in the style of Mike Hammer, etc, it feels more right in a similar era, at least when I am running it.  :)

Sounds like you should try a different Fate game, Spirit of the Century.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »
For Westerns with a supernatural twist, I'd also suggest "The Missing" with Tommy Lee Jones. The supernatural element is left vague enough for it all to be explicable in other ways, which is quite nice.