Author Topic: On Baltimore  (Read 11124 times)

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
On Baltimore
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:30:36 AM »
It has all ready been announced that the Dresden RPG will be set in Baltimore.

So my question is, how detailed will the information on Baltimore be in the book?

Will we get information on Baltimore's supernatural community? Details on organizations (The local Courts, the Crime Bosses, the Warden preciding over that part of the country), the individual Who's Who, and sites of interest (like does Baltimore have its own MacAlly's?).

And on a different note, will we get tips on how to handle such organizations like the White Council, the Vampire Courts or the Fey Courts? For instance, discussion on what exactly is in the treaties the White Council puts down? More concrete discussion of what's IN the Nevernever?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:38:00 AM by Rechan »

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
Re: On Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:32:41 AM »
That's what it sounds like from the research Fred has described doing.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
I'm not sure it's possible to have a concrete discussion of what's in the Nevernever.  Just by its very nature, it defies the concrete.  Also, it's an excellent source for the GM to just go wild with anything he needs.  IMHO, too much definition here would be much worse than too little.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
The answers to a number of these questions remain up in the air.  Rob Donoghue's the one working on the Baltimore chapter, and at the moment, we're still focusing on the guidelines for "Take City (fill in the blank here) and go through (this process) to turn it into a Dresden Files city".
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Wolfhowls

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Why Baltimore??  ???

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
Check out the Designing Dresden article here:  http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/news/archives/2006/06/designing_dresd.php

Goes over all the options that they considered

Offline bisclavret

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
Baltimore would be a good setting, lots of spooky stuff. I remember an office I was in on Water Street- it was a stop on the Underground Railroad during the civil war. Very creepy and unsettling place.

Besides, what other city could have given us Poe?

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I was pulling for San Francisco...but that's just cause it would save me a lot of work for my game

Wolfhowls

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
Good point on Baltimore...But I was hoping for Austin ..well because I am from Texas...Houston could have been a alright choice since it has the most hauntings in Texas. Tons of spooky stuff because of the smaller out lining cities. Galveston and Kemah have a ton of spooky history.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »
I just keep picturing Haight and Ashburry (in SF) as the center for Occult community with maybe a big Channgleing population. All those god damn hippies so close to the park, you know they probably hooked up with some Fey back in the day. That and we have a freeking ghost ship in the bay!

Offline bisclavret

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »
Hey, they just refurbished the Basilica in Baltimore, including the catacombs. I wonder what kind of things they would have stirred up in a Dresden universe.... hmmmm....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:26:52 PM by bisclavret »

Wolfhowls

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
~shudders at the thought of catacombs~ Yeah Baltimore..is a good choice...heck almost any city in the US would work. The DM would just have to get off his butt and do his/her own research.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:26:05 PM »
The better you know a city the easier it'll be to write for it. If we do see a TDF RPG supplement in the future I'd like it to be a collection of cities and NPCs to run with. I don't really want a whole bunch of supplemental rules, but more RPG source material would be great. The core book is supposed to have a guide for turning other cities into a Dresdenverse city, which should be helpful, and I'm sure there'll be fan-based resources out there eventually. Ya gotta love the internet for that.

Offline bisclavret

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »
Well, when I read Jim's descriptions of places in Chicago a lot of places I've been to in Baltimore come to mind.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:46:33 AM »
The better you know a city the easier it'll be to write for it. If we do see a TDF RPG supplement in the future I'd like it to be a collection of cities and NPCs to run with. I don't really want a whole bunch of supplemental rules, but more RPG source material would be great. The core book is supposed to have a guide for turning other cities into a Dresdenverse city, which should be helpful, and I'm sure there'll be fan-based resources out there eventually. Ya gotta love the internet for that.

For some reason I remember Changeling: the Dreaming being set in Chicago...could be wrong because I can't lay my hands on the rulebook (whether it got borrowed or sold, I forget).  Closest sourcebook I can locate for CA was White Wolf's citybook for LA.