Author Topic: [Rules Clarification] Throwing Distance  (Read 1625 times)

Offline dindenver

• Participant
    • View Profile
[Rules Clarification] Throwing Distance
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
Iago, et al.
  The only reference to throwing distance is in the description of the Good Arm Stunt (YWp156).
  And this seems perfectly reasonable to Mortals.

But, I think Supernatural Strength thould affect throwing Distance as well. But it is not stated. So in this scenario, even a character with Mythic Strength can't throw ANYTHING as far as a Mortal with the Good Arm Stunt?

I dunno, it seems confusing to me. Is that right?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: [Rules Clarification] Throwing Distance
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
Look at it this way.  The character with supernatural strength might be able to throw things farther than a pure mortal with a "Good Arm" but he won't be able to make an effective weapon out of the object when throwing it farther than one zone for whatever reason seems appropriate.  Remember, zones are fairly abstract, so they can be defined in a such a way that it doesn't make sense for throwing weapons to go more than 1 or 2 zones.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
I guess you have a good point there. If it was only down to strength, then supernatural strength should give a benefit to the throwing distance. Yet you have to take other things into account.

First of all accurately throwing something is really difficult. Ever played darts? Two meters doesn't really seam that far, yet hitting the bulls eye is pretty hard. So the Good Arm stunt might not only reflect that the PC/NPC has considerable power behind his throw but also knows the techniques for throwing an object accurately across two zones.

Secondly the Strength Powers already give benefits to the Weapons skill that are pretty awesome. Adding on top of them would make them a little bit overpowered in my opinion. Sure. You probably could throw that knife two a couple of hundred yards with your supernatural strength, but would you hit something? I don't know...

It comes down to balance and what you and your group decide on. If it is OK with your GM if the stunt is integrated into the supernatural strength than everything is cool. If not, then you might have to pick up the stunt. It is only -1 refresh anyhow and gives a pretty nice bonus if you character is build towards a knife maniac or something like that.

EDIT: got to make a shirt: "luminos was faster then me"
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline dindenver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:52:40 AM »
Well,
  My idea was to take Might+Strength bonus, subtract the Weight required to lift the item and use that number as the max range.
  I mean, you don't have to have eagle eye reflexes to peg someone with an engine block. and with Mythic Strength, the engine Block should be able to travel at least as far as a mere mortal can throw a baseball, no?
  The reason I bring this up is Super Strength is apparently not balanced against a speedster with a pistol...
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20635.msg905167.html#msg905167

I dunno, in one since it feel like me adding too much complication to a steamlined game. But there is a lot of math in there already...

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
Ultimately if it bugs you, house rule it. The only real caveat at that point is you'll have to do your own balancing.

Oh and for what it's worth, in the real world a speedster with a pistol is dangerous sure, but not every fight is going to take place on some featureless, endless expanse. The first time Mr. Speedo charges through a doorway to get you, you have him cold and he's not getting away. Voila, game balance. :)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43:43 AM »
The problem with using math for throwing things is, well, the math can get complex.  How aerodynamic is the object? Air resistance can really rob something of forward motion.  Throwing something like a car could crush someone, but cars aren't designed to be thrown.

I can see someone with super human strength tossing a javelin or shot put far farther than any human could, but I can't see them throwing something bulky beyond a zone - at least not well enough to hit a moving target.

Richard