Author Topic: Wizard careers?  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Leatherneck

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard careers?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
The wizard being made for my game is an Arson Investigator.  His specialized element is of course fire.

Offline ironchicken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
Use a .50 BMG round. Or a shotgun loaded with steel shot, if you are hunting Fae.

Running a business of taking hunters into never Never to hunt big game with iron shot! And I wonder just how long that will last before one of the queens comes down on him like a ton of bricks!

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »
Running a business of taking hunters into never Never to hunt big game with iron shot! And I wonder just how long that will last before one of the queens comes down on him like a ton of bricks!

That could be a problem. Just stick to hunting trolls and various creatures that roam the world then. Get a swarm of pixies with birdshot, and mount them in your chandeliers.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:25 AM »
Considering how adamant Harry was at the end of Proven Guilty about not leaving any iron behind because it'd be rude to leave something so toxic just lying around I'd say that the NeverNever Safari trips wouldn't last long. Unless you were in Wildfae.

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 04:12:17 AM »
Considering how adamant Harry was at the end of Proven Guilty about not leaving any iron behind because it'd be rude to leave something so toxic just lying around I'd say that the NeverNever Safari trips wouldn't last long. Unless you were in Wildfae.

One or more of the queens might intervene even then, just on general principle. A bunch of rifle-toting yahoos peppering Faerie with iron or steel ammunition smacks of deliberate provocation any way you slice it.
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 04:28:36 AM »
I concur.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
in my group we have a mercernary wizard - you can hire him for all legal stuff you like - as a consultant, farmers hire him to do their weather, a mother hired him to help with her sons sleeping problems (her words were that "the charlatan is cheaper than the psycho therapist), another wanted to know why his house is always burning down, a sheik hired him as bodyguard for his son, because a business partner may have set a djinn on his trail. a little bit like paladin in "have gun will travel".

his teacher who is an npc in the game, is a goldsmith.

i like the idea with the curio shop.

tonight i start another game with another group, maybe there are more wizard carreers :)

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
You just gave me a potential idea for a Most Dangerous Game storyline.

Poor players.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
The wizard I have planned out, yet have not played up to this point is actually a scholar. I got inspired by the case files where Harry points out, that many of the older council members have literally dozens of higher degrees. I guess I have always appreciated the idea that with long life at some point there might come big boredom and the idea that you could go back and learn some interesting new stuff...

But I digress. My Wizard has an Islamic background and is stated out to be a pretty famous Koran translator / islamic scholar, who gets by on teaching at a college and doing lots of translations as a side job. Compared to other wizards he isn't stated out to be super strong but he has a pretty decent discipline skill and obviously high values in both lore and scholarship.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
In the game I am running:
  • A young Wizard runs a Rare Occult Book Store and Coffee Shop
  • The Sorcerer is a burglar of rare magical antiquités, who works on the side as a locksmith

Offline Brimstar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
NPC Wizard I'm cooking up is a professor at a university studying the bio-mechanics of extinct species.  He spends a lot of time hiding the fact he plays with Necromancy to do it. 

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
We have a Sorcerer & Wizard in our game working as Bounty Hunters, along with most of the party although we also have a Focused Practitioner (Biomancy) who is a Massage Therapist.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:50 AM »
in yesterday's group somebody started a gothic hairdresser stylist witch who also sells goth apparel. her room mate claims he is gay, but she's not sure about that.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
So far we have (in 2 local groups) spell-casting:

• Reporter (Arcane Photographer ... but has camera problems)
  • Apothecary / Pharmacist
  • (2) Booksellers
  • Changeling Lord
  • Detective (FP:Thaumaturgist - Ballistomancer Detective technically)

That is so far ... still waiting on 3 players to finish their concepts.  One was looking at doing an Alderman but scrapped that idea.
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »
My character uses sponsored magic instead of mortal, but he makes his money as a bike messenger.  Which is part of the reason that he got sponsored by Hermes. Great athletics + supernatural speed = get anywhere in New York City in the least possible time, assuming normal traffic conditions.  You'd think he could make good money from that, but his resource skill is score is mediocre, so I figure he usually can't hang on to the money, in a Peter Parker kind of way.