Author Topic: Mood Ring of Supernatural Detection  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Mood Ring of Supernatural Detection
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »
My Monday deadlands game I had stopped by the art supply store to pick up a pen and pencil and saw mood rings. and just like that the idea hit me.

Red court vampires nearby? Ring turns red. White court? White? Black Court? Black. Obvious it'd be fairly limited in what it could detect, prolly wear a couple: Vamp one, maybe a Fae one. Perhaps another somethin or other.

The real question i'm wondering is how many enchanted item slots you'd think for somethin like that? Mechanically would it be a "lore roll to detect and identify supernatural presence?" (similar to how the Gatekeeper's Ointment grants a bonus to alertness to pierce illusions.)

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Mood Ring of Supernatural Detection
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
Enchanted item that performs a maneuver (opposed by stealth or discipline, whichever is higher) to place an aspect "Something Red Court This Way Comes" that you can tag for effect of "I know a Red Court is nearby"?

Basically it helps avoid being ambushed.

The problem is it would probably be used up in the first ambush you evade (if you have 3 charges and four ghouls try to jump you?).

It could just be an Supernatural Sense, similar to the tremor in the Highlander series.  Maybe make it an item of power [+1] that grants supernatural sense [-2] for three senses (1) White Court Vampires, (2) Red Court Vampires, and (3) Black Court Vampires.  The Item of Power version would allow you to make an Alertness check to notice your mood ring when you would otherwise denied the check.

But if it just says "monsters are nearby" it might never turn off.  "Yes, I know there are monsters in a monster bar."
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
Thank you Jospeh, Some good points and considerations. I appreciate the quick input.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
FYI: I am ripping this idea off for an Oathbreaker's Ring [-2] item that alerts to the presence of nasty supernaturals and allows a person to use the Worldwalker power.  Basically you aren't just warned when nasties are around, you can also perceive (and traverse) weaknesses in the veil (where nasties may leap out of).

The catch is that the ring doesn't just warn of nasties that are after you.  So it can easily lead to paranoid characters.

I'll post it when I am finished.

Oathbreaker's Ring [-2]
Description: Folktales claim some mortal practitioner made a deal with a fae broke a deal and to evade punishment made this ring to always have a warning when debt collectors may be on the way. For years--some say until he died of old age--the creator was believed to have evaded all attempts to settle up accounts. Despite the name, the ring functions for any wearer, not just Oathbreakers. Over the generations various wearers have used the ring for very different purposes and the ring has developed into quite the tool for traveling the Nevernever.

Musts: An aspect directly referring to the Oathbreaker's Ring (doesn't have to relate to Oathbreaking).

Skills Effected: Alertness, Investigation, Lore, Survival
Effects:
It Is What It Is. The Oathbreaker's Ring is a ring has a large polished black opal set in it.
Supernatural Sense. You may roll Alertness to notice the ring has shifted colors (only the wearer can perceive this change, to everyone else it remains solid black) when in the presence of supernatural beings much the same as how Lore can be used for mystic perception. You are allowed this Alertness roll even in situations where you would normally be denied one.
Rift Sense. *cut for space*
Rift Maker. *cut for space*
Strange Worlds. *cut for space*
Discount Is Already Applied. The +1 refresh discount for being an item of power has already been applied.

It is sort of like Death's Cloak of Invisibility.  But instead of hiding, it warns and allows for potential escape.  The Lore skill isn't even necessary for the Oathbreaker's ring.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:21:01 PM by JosephKell »
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:56:11 AM »
the first thing that popped into my head when i thought about the ring never turning off Fae near by. Fae near by. Fae near by. the door is ajar. the door is ajar. the door is ajar.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
The real question i'm wondering is how many enchanted item slots you'd think for somethin like that? Mechanically would it be a "lore roll to detect and identify supernatural presence?" (similar to how the Gatekeeper's Ointment grants a bonus to alertness to pierce illusions.)
I totally missed this part.

For this you could make it like +2 on Alertness/Lore for seeing through veils and glamours.  But thought would require another refresh point of cost.