Author Topic: How Do I Handle Equipment?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: How Do I Handle Equipment?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »
The general way I handle equipment is pretty much how YS sets it out and so far it has not been much of a problem.

A character has pretty much automatic access to items/gear according to the chart of page # 322 of YS.  Under the trapping 'Buying Things' located beneath the chart...

a player can almost always declare that his character has or can reasonably afford anything that’s 2 levels or more below the character’s Resources.

That is direct from YS (and mods/admin feel free to delete text quote if it is an Intellectual Property issue).

If a character has the Resources Stunt: Lush Lifestyle (YS155) then they can have automatic access to items equal to their Resources skill.  Keep in mind though, this access is limited to items that are 'reasonable' for someone to have.  Skill tests are still needed to get access to rare or restricted items.  In the book, the example of a regular person purchasing an assault rifle was used.  Now the Resources cost of an assault rifle is Good, but for a regular, non-military/police purchase, the restriction makes the item cost Superb.  Which is actually fairly accurate, since a legally papered fully automatic ex-military M16 assault rifle is ~$16,000 last time I checked, which is over the Great range of Under $10,000.

One of the things which is important with the declarations players are able to make about equipment, is that the declaration has to pass the reasonable 'smell test'.  For example, a player with Resources of Average (+1) can normally make an automatic declaration that they have with them a common hand weapon, like a knife, baton or baseball bat (again from YS322).  However, unless one is involved in security and/or law enforcement, making a declaration that a character has a knife with them in a courthouse, or an airport terminal ceases to be reasonable.

In the specific example of a character 'always' wearing body armor...  The question which immediately springs to mind is, what kind?  There are six different basic body armor classifications as set out by the NIJ here http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/183651.pdf.  If someone looks at a source for police body armor like Galls here http://www.galls.com/easearchresult.html?question=Body%20Armor&searchaction=1&path=All%20Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3DAll%20Products%20%3B%3B%20Venture%5Fid%3D503185%2F%2F%2F%2FGear%20%26%20Equipment&resultsperpage=20 then except for the lowest levels of protection which also might only cover the torso, body armor is not exactly covert/concealable.  Now if your player has a character that is an FBI agent, then the normal clothing for them would usually be something business appropriate, a suit or business casual clothing.  The idea being that an agent (or a detective/plainclothes officer for that matter) should blend in, not be garbed in a fashion which screams "COPS!"

If your player insists on having his character go around all the time in Level IV tactical body armor (which would likely have been issued by the FBI), have the character's SAC (Special Agent-in-Charge) call the character into a meeting about appropriate behavior for an agent.  If the player doesn't get the hint, then perhaps have them professionally assigned to a desk and/or sent off for 'psychiatric evaluation'

Now if a character wants to make a declaration about an item that would make sense to have, but not necessarily be sensible for them to have gotten it in time, etc that declaration is ripe for using an Aspect.  I even have one made up that I'm waiting to use, "Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout" which plays up the nature of an Eagle Scout following the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:12:05 AM by Todjaeger »
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
Just remember, we are talking supernatural creatures doing highly illegal stuff lots of the time. If you want to go around wearing full platemail with kevlar inner coating or a heavy tactical suit, at least ask your wizard buddy to put a 8-shift thaumaturgy illusion on the thing so it looks like normal clothing all day long.

Offline Jedrak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
I can say, personally, having worn a vest in the heat for extended periods of time... you do tend to adjust to it within a week or two... you still notice it, but it only has a very mild discomfort...

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »
If their high concept is not something that would likely have a vest, I'd call for a resources test. The same goes for any equipment really.

Could even be Invoking an Aspect  (such as Murphy wearing a vest).  Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but using it when off duty would likely be Aspect rather than Resources.

Now Marcone, for him it would more likely be Resources as his occupation does not seem to cover bullet-proof vest as a default.

Is it fair to just say I have a vest? Sure, as long as everyone has the option. Besides, that guy with the stunt can wear shorts and a t-shirt at the beach and still have his +1. The guy with the vest can't without looking ridiculous.

To me that is where a compel would me more likely ... BPVs tend to be fairly obvious.  A SWAT team is an example of police going in "loaded for bear" so to speak.  Unless BPVs are default for the cops they are going to get noticed and cause reactions.  Same with civilians unless they are disguised well enough.  Harry's duster would not trigger the "OMG! He's armed for bear!" reaction wearing a BPV and carrying a large rifle would typically trigger, but then again Harry has a different vibe altogether that often seems to trigger other reactions.   ;)  (Like, "Who is that creep in the duster?" or "... looney carrying a staff?")
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician