Author Topic: A Healer By the Power of Downbelow  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
A Healer By the Power of Downbelow
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
While talking to a friend at work about some of my family's background, I realized I had a veritable treasure trove of information to be used in making a Dresdenized version of my hometown. Which was, basically, my family's background. Heck, we know an old herbalist who more or less tramps around the mountains and hills picking what he can find and selling it to those who need his yallowroot and miscellaneous cures. I mean, does that scream focused practitioner potion master or what?

Anyway, one of the stories my mother told about the area was this real snake oil salesman of a fellow who would travel through peddling his own brand of spiritual healing. However, it wasn't specifically his brand at all - he'd tailor it to whoever he was pitching to. To the Pentecostals, it was the power of the Holy Spirit. To the New Agers, it was the energy held within them channeled for good. To the Wiccans, it was the Earth Mother moving through them to heal their fellow man. His pitch was more multicolored than Joseph's coat.

The catch? It all worked, see. My mother says she saw metal plating holding people's backs together simply evaporate as they stood up and walked, legs bent by a lifetime of poor nutrition lengthen and straighten, and a grab bag of other healing miracles. She was totally bewitched by him for the longest time until he asked her to marry him and be one of his harem of wives. She figures, now, that this fella had sold his soul to something Downbelow for the power to do what he did and lead people to buy bags and bags of his products to make tons of money.

Since there's no real healing powers listed in the game, I was wondering where people would place the refresh cost for something that could do this kind of thing ...
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: A Healer By the Power of Downbelow
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »
I would look into Biomancy (under Thaumaturgy) if I were you, probably through a Sponsored Power.  The Sponsored Power provides all the actual knowledge of how to heal and he's just going into sponsor debt to put actual magic into his healing.

While he doesn't have Sponsored Magic, Thaumaturgic Biomancy is the way Listens-to-Wind handles his magical healing, after all.  :)

I like the character concept (or the reality, I guess!) of this character, by the way.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:32:03 PM by wolff96 »

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »
It's the way Listens-to-Wind handles his magical healing, after all.  :)

Injun Joe doesn't have Sponsored Magic. He has enough doctorates in medicine that he could tell you how large your appendix is by looking at your tibia.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »
Injun Joe doesn't have Sponsored Magic. He has enough doctorates in medicine that he could tell you how large your appendix is by looking at your tibia.

You're right, I was unclear.  I was referring to the Thaumaturgical Biomancy.  I will go back and edit my post for clarity.  :)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
Sweet! Thanks! I probably would have got around to that answer when I got to actually doing him in my Dresdenverse Huntington, I just hadn't gotten quite that far yet.

Now that I'm working at a bookstore, I'm also finding out that the Necronomicon by Simon is a hot book that we can never seem to keep in stock ... which is also good fodder for all kinds of stuff.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location