Author Topic: Cant seem to find Fudge dice to buy in Evil Hat store where are they?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Attercap

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Attercap.Net
Re: Cant seem to find Fudge dice to buy in Evil Hat store where are they?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
I put in an order for Deryni Dice with Sci-Fi Genre on Thursday of last week and just received note that they're headed my way as of this evening. So, the time to get the dice on SFG's part isn't instantaneous, but it does seem like they're not completely out of stock... yet.

And I'll vouch for UltraTroll's suggestion of RPGShop, as well. I've used them in the past and, though they seem to be out of productised FUDGE dice, they do seem to have some Deryni Dice in stock still. (Same style as FUDGE dice, just fewer colors.)
Attercap.Net | New comic every M-F
Liber Attercap | An In Nomine reference
Unholy Preyer | Non-Dresdenverse RPG using the Dresden Files RPG rules

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
I put in an order for Deryni Dice with Sci-Fi Genre on Thursday of last week and just received note that they're headed my way as of this evening. So, the time to get the dice on SFG's part isn't instantaneous, but it does seem like they're not completely out of stock... yet.

And I'll vouch for UltraTroll's suggestion of RPGShop, as well. I've used them in the past and, though they seem to be out of productised FUDGE dice, they do seem to have some Deryni Dice in stock still. (Same style as FUDGE dice, just fewer colors.)

Weird.  Maybe it was the particular type of Deryni dice I ordered? 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Attercap

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Attercap.Net
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Weird.  Maybe it was the particular type of Deryni dice I ordered? 
Maybe just a case of timing? Could be they got a small line on dice after your communique. That's happened to me before with online retailers.
Attercap.Net | New comic every M-F
Liber Attercap | An In Nomine reference
Unholy Preyer | Non-Dresdenverse RPG using the Dresden Files RPG rules

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
I wonder if the Dresden Game is more popular than we thought because some of the game stores I have talked too cannot keep Fudge Dice in stock since the game came out.

And many of their distributors have major back order on the Fudge Dice which is why we are having these issues.

Offline shadowlost

• Conversationalist
  • I'm the Dark God whose mind Shades came from...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 02:49:07 AM »
I wonder if the Dresden Game is more popular than we thought because some of the game stores I have talked too cannot keep Fudge Dice in stock since the game came out.

And many of their distributors have major back order on the Fudge Dice which is why we are having these issues.

That's exactly what my Rpg store told me. I'm glad I bought mine at Origins. No store here can keep them in stock.
Instead of a denarian. I got a copper piece. Now I'm host to the fallen one known as Cheapassius.

When I read DF Spoilers Thread. It's like Occam's Razor be damned. :D

Offline djc664

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 02:53:36 AM »
I picked up my copy of the Dresden Files RPGs at GenCon this past weekend, and there were no fudge dice to be had for the entire Con. Every dice retailer in the Exhibit Hall had been asked a hundred times each whether they had any to sell. Basically only one company was making them and everyone was reselling those dice (hence why any search will bring up the same bland color sets, with the exception of Q-Workshop). Their latest restock shipment got held up in from China in customs / shipping. Combine that with the great success Spirit of the Century and Dresden Files has had...

I'm pretty sure every dice maker got the hint, though. I expect to see a ton more selection of fudge dice by Christmas. I know a ton of people used blank dice to paint and make their own fudge dice. :)  Use clear shellac over the sharpie and it works decently. Sharpie alone rubs off too quickly.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »

Fudge has been out for decades now but I do not believe any game using the dice that was released in the last 10 years has raised the demand nor caught the supply as flatfooted as the release as Dresden Files RPG.   The Deryni RPG came out circa 2005 and IIRC the manufacture of specific Deryni Dice sets (4 black 4 white) ramped up in time to meet the demand for new players (probably 25%-50% of sales or so were likely to people with no familiarity with Fudge and thus had no Fudge dice).  When dice manufactures heard about Dresden RPG being released (if they did) they would have likely ramped up to less than they did for Deryni.

So what then would explain the dice shortage?
3 things:
  • The game is probably the "hot seller" this year, AFAICT hitting the level Serenity did when it first came out
  • I would estimate that 90%+ of Dresden RPG sales are to people unfamiliar with Fudge and thus in need of the special dice
  • The current market is used to smaller sales than the market even 5-8 years ago and thus not as able to handle sudden changes (aka, manufacturers are used to producing smaller lots and have less capital to risk up front, including dice MFGs)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
The only solution that i've been able to handle thus far are one of three - standard d6s altered to look like fudge dice (my least favorite) - blank dice that have been scraped with the + and - (drimel tools rock), and a deck of 54 cards (+ - and 0 written in the corners of 18 cards each).   The last option is by FAR the cheapest, but not much like traditional RPGs.

Maybe I played too much deadlands.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
The only solution that i've been able to handle thus far are one of three - standard d6s altered to look like fudge dice (my least favorite) - blank dice that have been scraped with the + and - (drimel tools rock), and a deck of 54 cards (+ - and 0 written in the corners of 18 cards each).   The last option is by FAR the cheapest, but not much like traditional RPGs.

Maybe I played too much deadlands.

You forgot D3s.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »
You forgot D3s.

Yep, 4d3-8 works out exactly the same as Fudge dice :)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline elberon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »
You can get sets of 4 in the UK but at £3 a go I've shy'd away hoping for a GM pack to pop up somewhere...

Chris

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
You can get sets of 4 in the UK but at £3 a go I've shy'd away hoping for a GM pack to pop up somewhere...

Chris

Ha!  Good luck with that. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/