Author Topic: Options when a new player joins group  (Read 1600 times)

Offline craggle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Options when a new player joins group
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »
Not that it has come up yet for us, but what would be peoples options and preferences for introducing a new player to a group that has already started gaming?  From the book, it seems to suggest going for the "on-the-fly" character creation in the case of a "late comer": what are peoples thoughts on that?  Do people think deciding on the full stats for such a newcomer would be better and just leave the "guest starring" aspects open for "on-the-fly" additions, as if their first session was their guest role?

Or would people prefer to have the new player fully complete their aspects by having them as a third guest star in a story (but no one guesting in their own)?  Or better to create two NPCs for the guest stories?  Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Options when a new player joins group
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
I'd prefer to have the guest star aspects done "on-the-fly" but have much of the rest figured out beforehand (but the stuff done beforehand should still be done with the rest of the group present).  Using NPC's for guest stars does not make very much sense.  The purpose of the guest star phases is to make sure they have some prior contact with other members of the group, so that there is some kind of justification for them knowing each other and working together on stuff that happens in game.  It may work to have them guest star in the other PC's stories, and the other PC's can guest star in the newcomer's story without getting a new aspect for it.  Or you could just have the newcomer design his character so that he is connected to whats happening in the story, so that he has a reason to work with the other PC's without guest stars, and he fills in those aspects as play goes on.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
Well even in the game I am running I do not have every location and aspect of my city planned. There are still gaps that are not being used. Since the new player was not part of the first overall city and character creation. Use the areas not covered yet to help create his/her character that player might not yet have that freedom as the first day but they still can get a section of the city that is theirs.

I am planning that for some of the players I have coming in next month.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Do what works best for your group.  That sounds like a cop-out, but really it's what system works best for integrating the new player into the game.

My preference is to have it happen thematically; have the new player build their character 'off-stage', and then have them come in at an appropriate moment, either as a new source of information or charging in in the middle of a battle (depending on the character's preference).  But that's just me.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline bcillustration

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
We had this issue pop up twice in our game, ( I'm the GM) due to scheduling conflicts. We collectively ret-conned both characters, having them make their own phase one and two, adding them into phases 3 and four, which were both story arcs shared by the whole group. We are currently in game, playing out phase 5 ( I'm hoping for a more gelled, cohesive group, and it's working pretty well so far.) everyone has a temporary 5th aspect, and I'll be giving free aspect change at the end of the campaign, to reflect what folks feel their 5th aspect should be. (In addition to the end of campaign major milestone.)

It's my first time GMing, and I haven't read on here of anyone playing out the 5th phase; but we wanted to get right into the meat & potatoes of the game. Next session tomorrow night, hopefully everyone will get plenty of compels this time :)

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
Keep in mind, phases four and five do not need to be reciprocal between the players.

Player A could guest star in players B & C while player B could guest star in players C & D.

With that in mind, a new player could easily have a back story with any two players at the table with minimum fuss.  Just make that story one that doesn't step on any toes.