Linked Events

• Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN: April 09, 2007

Author Topic: Jim in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN  (Read 15640 times)

Offline Shannon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Jim in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
« on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »
Jim will be signing books at the following location:
Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore
2864 Chicago Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
5:00 PM to 6:00 PM

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Jim in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »
Um...When is this happening?  I need a date so I can request off work and get friends together to go. :D

Offline jeanninew2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
April 9, 2007 you can go on the website at www.unclehugo.com

Will Jim sign more than 1 book for a person if so is there a limit to how many? I know he will only be there an hour so theres probaby some kind of rules.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 10:25:57 PM by jeanninew2 »
The movie of my life must be really low-budget.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:47:46 PM »
Take all your books, the first time you go through the line, have him sign your favourite, then get in the back of the line so everyone has had a chance to get theirs signed.  At least that's what I did when I saw him in Ill. in June.  This time I'll only have 2 or 3 to get signed.

And thanks for the date. :)

Offline jeanninew2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 05:08:49 AM »
thanks for the info.

Offline Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »
I'm so glad Uncle Hugo's is getting the signing.  Nothing against Barnes and Noble, worked for them for several years, but I love Uncle Hugo's (and it's counterpart Uncle Edgar's :)) 

Offline stpaulbrowncoat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 02:06:29 AM »
The link for Uncle Hugo's isn't working for me, but then again I have a dial-up connection.

Something I learned from Jayne:
Things look bigger when you can't see 'em.
www.mnfirefly.com

Offline stpaulbrowncoat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:08:20 AM »
I have the day off and am bringing along my copy of White Night to be signed.  If there are any other Dresden fans or Browncoats there, I would be happy to meet them.  I hope to meet some other Dresden fans. 
Kinda feel like I'm the only one in Minnesota, though I know that can't be true.
;)
www.mnfirefly.com

Offline Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 11:13:13 PM »
HAVE FUN!!!  I'm jealous, I have to work plus I'm already taking Thurs and Fri off, and it's to far to drive for just the signing.  I'm getting old, can't pull off roadtrips like I used too.

Offline Darkson

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
Hope to see a lot of you at Uncle Hugo's on Monday. How many books you can get signed will depend on the turnout for the event. Going through the line again is always fine. You can park in the dentist's lot next door after 5:00. Street parking by the store is limited, so allow some time to find a spot if you're getting there early. Don's got a huge selection of used books, so come by early and browse.  8)

Offline Lelenia

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this tonight.  Makes getting through the Monday workday a bit more bearable :)
I used to have superhuman powers, but my therapist took them away.

Offline jeanninew2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
I'm going to miss it :'( my car broke down. Maybe next year. :-\.

Offline stpaulbrowncoat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 03:26:23 AM »
I had a great time at the signing this evening.  Mr. Butcher was super cool to everyone there, taking a minute or two to chat with fans (and there were lots of folks there).  Waiting in line was fun, even, because it gave me a chance to meet other Minnesota Dresden fans and trade favorite lines, scenes, etc.
When it was my turn, I told Jim (quickly) that I got into the books because of the television show (to which he said "I don't hold that against you") and that I'd bought the entire series in pretty much one fell swoop ("Thank you" he said).  I then asked when book 10 was coming out.  He smiled and told me that he just finished chapter four yesterday.  I asked him if there were any buildings on fire (yet ;)) and he said "No.  But not for lack of trying".  I shook his hand and thanked him for such wonderful characters and exciting story. 
Now, being a geeky fangirl works up an appetite and I went across the street to grab a bite to eat at the Midtown Global Market (if you're not from the area it's a big collection of different food stands and mini food markets housed in a big building.  Lots of different kinds of food from around the world.).  I settled on a gyro and noticed another person with a copy of White Night.  We said hello and I had the most enjoyable meal with a perfect stranger and Dresden fan.  We talked for an hour about the books: favorites, ideas, speculation, you know, fandom chat. (Everyone I met this evening was really nice, which says a lot about the fandom.  I'm proud :)) We parted company and I headed home.
All in all, I had a really great time at the bookstore and at dinner.
  Thank you again, Jim Butcher, for creating these characters and stories and for being so gracious and generous to us fans.
www.mnfirefly.com

Offline Mercwriter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
I too had a wonderful time!   ;D  It was great to see how many people were there.

Thanks for signing my books, Jim! 

~Merc

Offline Darkson

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »
Jim was a treat. Good sized crowd. Lots of books sold, lots of fellow fans to talk with. I hung around after the horde left and a few us us chatted with Jim as he signed stock for Hugo's. He had a lot of good stories. He just finished reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi, which I'm currently reading, and he enjoyed it as much as I am. We're sure glad Jim came to Minneapolis and we hope he comes back soon.