Author Topic: Changling Character  (Read 5232 times)

Tbora

Changling Character
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
Here is a build I came up with, it can definitely use some tinkering, but all in all its really cool.Its meant to be a changling character built for a Submerged game whose parents is a fairly high ranking sidhe noble.Its so effective because with Greater Glamours and a high stealth rating most bad guys won't even know the character is there, and with Incite Emotion he can do major damage to there mental stress track and can take out most bad guys in a few exchanges.

[-4] Greater Glamours
[-4] Incite Emotion ( At Range, Lasting Emotion, Potent Emotion)
[-4] Supernatural Toughness
[+3] Catch: Cold Iron and the Like

Total Refresh: 1
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:51:11 PM by Tbora »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Changling Character
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
Were his or her parents from one of the Courts?  What emotion can he or she incite?

Offline greycouncilmember

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
You beat me to it.  I was just going to ask what fae in the books could incite emotions?  I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just can't think of any examples. 

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
From the Summer Court, the character can incite Euphoria.We have seen in the books with there Glamours they can incite emotion by pushing illusions, such as when Harry and Billy went down to see Maeve during SK.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
Nixie's have the incite emotion ability in the RPG book, so thats justification for giving it to other types of Fae.  Looks like a good character, although he has to be really close to making the choice to have greater glamours.  That can be perilous.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »
Indeed, for Greater Glamours it even states 'As a pure fae' in the description for it. However I'm sure that there are some GM's that would allow it. It certainly would be a nasty character in a conflict but I think the GM will compel you a lot to change to full fae, meaning that you'll rarely have any Fate to spend.

Tbora

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
@Lumi - yep, the character is atleast in my mind, as close to Fae as they can be short of making the Choice.

@CMEast - Any GM who does that is a douche imo, as that is basically like saying No Fate Points for you, kill the character roll a new one.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

@CMEast - Any GM who does that is a douche imo, as that is basically like saying No Fate Points for you, kill the character roll a new one.

If he does it constantly, and if the player has only one power left on his parent's template, then yes, its a bad move.  But a GM should still compel the changeling character every once in a while to pick up more powers, even if it means risking the Choice.  Its pretty much stated in the template that compels are supposed to be used that way, to make the struggle between free-will and nature that much more dramatic. 

Pro-tip:  Don't ever put your changeling right on the razors edge of the Choice unless you actually want it to be a constant threat looming over him.
Lawful Chaotic

Tbora

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
If he does it constantly, and if the player has only one power left on his parent's template, then yes, its a bad move.  But a GM should still compel the changeling character every once in a while to pick up more powers, even if it means risking the Choice.  Its pretty much stated in the template that compels are supposed to be used that way, to make the struggle between free-will and nature that much more dramatic. 

Pro-tip:  Don't ever put your changeling right on the razors edge of the Choice unless you actually want it to be a constant threat looming over him.

Every once in a while sure, like maybe a couple of times a session, but to do it to the point of railroading it, that is when it gets to go from dramatic roleplaying to stupidity where player feels more like quiting in the middle of a game.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »
That's the nature of the changeling tho - that choice, that razor's edge between humanity and fae. Its the overall theme of the Dresdenverse: "There's No Free Lunch."

I'm uncomfortable with the greater glamours (as per the book, its for pure fae), I'd still let it in, but boy, that certainly foreshadows to me what your final decision will ultimately be.

And why would a GM need to railroad it constantly? If it was me, I'd wait till it really, Really, REALLY hurts to make that choice.

Its the climax of the story. Chips are all on the table. The fight's going down the toilet sideways and everything is not looking good for the good guys. But oh, hi there Dad. Fancy you popping up. What? One more boost to the old toolbox so *I* can save everyone I love and.. what? The world?

Hmmmm.

HMMMM.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.....

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
Every once in a while sure, like maybe a couple of times a session, but to do it to the point of railroading it, that is when it gets to go from dramatic roleplaying to stupidity where player feels more like quiting in the middle of a game.

Oh, absolutely.  Just enough to make the possibility there, and up the tension of one or two situations.  One or two times in a session at the very most, and any more than that is being a jerk (as well as not honoring the fact that the player already bought off that compel).  
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
If I were a GM I wouldn't allow anyone to store fate points up anyway, not unless there character was a little under-powered compared to the others. With Greater Glamours sitting in your quiver, I could possibly compel you towards your fae side with every major use of your powers or every major conflict. I'd definitely speak to your GM about the character before playing it.

I think low fate points DOES make the game dramatic. It means you don't have much of a safety net when things go wrong.

Tbora

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »
If I were a GM I wouldn't allow anyone to store fate points up anyway, not unless there character was a little under-powered compared to the others. With Greater Glamours sitting in your quiver, I could possibly compel you towards your fae side with every major use of your powers or every major conflict. I'd definitely speak to your GM about the character before playing it.

I think low fate points DOES make the game dramatic. It means you don't have much of a safety net when things go wrong.

Um - The point of fate points is the ability to effect the flow of plot, by effectively limiting there ability to keep a decent amount at any one time to me is more along the lines of pushing the players onto a script then having it as a roleplay where the ending is not fixed.By doing that, it makes the GM more of an author in a book with a single forethought conclusion then a true collaborative process which to me is a major no-no as that goes against the very spirit of the FATE system.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
Why wouldn't you allow a player to store them? If they've earned them by eating compels, they get to keep'm - and how they spend them is up to them. Fate point economy is an underlying core principle of the game.

Tbora

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:37 PM »
But anyway for this character I have atleast a couple aspects in mind to generate fate points like no tommorow - A Trouble of "I cannot say what is untrue" and an aspect "Iron is my Bane".Both of which will be self compelled very often.