Author Topic: DarkHallow Question  (Read 4185 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DarkHallow Question
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
I find most "evil" is just pragmatic.

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 03:02:22 AM »
And another almost signature-worthy line.  Today has had two.

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »
I can't remember the book, but a long time ago I remember reading one where an Evil Turk was besieging a city. He had a force of 1000+ Jannisaries, I think. They were Christian soldiers kidnapped or captured as children, and raised to be unquestioning soldiers. They were not converted to islam. The bad guy was going to send them in a suicide charge against the city walls. He had a ritual that required the sacrifice of 1000 Christian lives.

But yeah, your post makes me think of terrorists with satchel nukes, who are also empowering some ritual. Or a vampire nation, like the Red Court, who uses suicide bombers and has magical teams nearby to "harvest" the released energy. Or some such.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
Ascension Rituals and Darkhallows and the like are just Plot-Device powerful things. If a player actually used one, it would be almost always in the backstory off-stage. I've been meaning to make a character with the Aspect Failed Ascension Rite (Though I have no idea where to go with him after that).

In game.....PC's shouldn't be doing this anyway.

Bad guys....after the ritual give him whatever. He'd probably end up becoming a Heavyweight without real stats.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
Not a PC that's going to be doing it... actually it's a "Grey Area" NPC - who's going Very Dark after the ritual.  The point is that they will have four weeks in which to find and defeat him before the whole ritual finishes or becomes solid.  At which point he's a total plot device, but before which he could (in theory) be defeated.  I'm going to start increasing his stats, adding stunts, and refresh every week.  So if they can find him quickly it will be easier to defeat him, but if they wait around for 'help' - well it's going to be tougher.

The ritual finishes and instant increase:
Like +1 to his stats, +1 Stunt, +2 refresh (in addition to toughness)

End of week 1 through week 2
Another +1 to stats, +1 Stunt, +4 refresh (in addition to speed and recovery)

End of week 2 through week 3
Another +1 to stats, +1 Stunt, +6 refresh (the toughness and recovery each go up a category)

End of week 3 through week 4
Another +1 to stats, +1 Stunt, +8 refresh (recovery goes to Mythic with a catch)

End of week 4 = total plot device....

thoughts on the progression?   Any alternate advancement would be appreciated.