Author Topic: Biomancy Question  (Read 4879 times)

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Biomancy Question
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
The origional poster was talking about a Physical Adept - from the ShadowRun Setting.  So I was just wondering - if a biomancy type enhanced character would be able to stand against a vamp or another supernatural?  It seems that there is some disagreement, and perhaps the best answer is why?  Why not just lightning bolt them?  Good question, and perhaps only the first poster could answer it.  Maybe that's just how he sees his character?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
Perhaps you could model this idea with a feeding dependency variant.  Give the character the various physical powers they want, under a biomantically themed feeding dependency to represent the fact they have to recharge the enhancements if they overclock them.  And the fact that feeding dependency checks are only made if you used the powers in a scene, it flavors well with the idea that activating the powers only last a scene.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
If one were to approve of the concept of a Shadowrun-esque physical adept (and I, personally, can't see why the concept couldn't be worked into a Dresden game), then going with their notion of lethal unarmed strikes, superhuman speed, strength, and durability, I can't see any reason why said character couldn't kick the bejeebus out of a vampire, red, white, black, blue, pink, or green (power ranger vampires, go!).  If Kincaid and Murphy can shoot them and Michael can slice them, what's wrong with some mystically-powered wuxia do some butt kicking?  I'd be all for it...heck, might even throw some bystander in there to shout out "FINISH THEM!" at the right moment.

That isn't to say it'd be an easy task, vampires are hardly pushovers, particularly in the brawling/melee department (as has been aptly demonstrated several times in the novels), but I can't see a reason why they couldn't try, and possibly succeed.  

Offline ashern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
If Kincaid and Murphy can shoot them and Michael can slice them, what's wrong with some mystically-powered wuxia do some butt kicking?  I'd be all for it...heck, might even throw some bystander in there to shout out "FINISH THEM!" at the right moment.

This is my personal opinion.  If you want to have super kung fu, and you want to be human, go find a different system.  It doesn't fit the spell slinging, modern urban pulpy feel that is dresden to me.

Now, on the other hand, if you were to be a ghoul ninja...  ;D

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
Personally, I don't see much difference in the way the book characters have been presented in their melee mayhem and a supernaturally-powered martial artist.  Now, the over-the-top full on wuxia might take it too  far and it might need to be toned down, but some of the combat sequences in the more recent novels certainly seem to be eyeing "epic" in both concept and proportion. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »
I think I would allow an extremely well trained martial artist, someone who has devoted their entire life to the martial arts, to be basically the equivalent of a Minor Talent and take up to -2 Refresh in Powers.  Obviously I wouldn't allow the more magical of powers, but the first level of the Speed, Strength, or Toughness powers might be possible, though the Toughness might better be represented by Mortal Stunts.  Maybe Cloak of Shadows.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 02:58:25 AM »
He could just use the scion "build your own character" template - he's a reincarnated arhat or a very focused practitioner that can only manifest his powers in "always-on rotes".
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »
(and I, personally, can't see why the concept couldn't be worked into a Dresden game)

well, i do not really see the need for it either, but if the heart of one of my player were attached to it... maybe there's a secret ninja sect dedicated to fighting vampires, demons and the forces of darkness.

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
Even in the rpg books it mentions that wizards from around the world would view things differently than Harry does.  He's pretty much a typcial western wizard - even his choice of items (wand, staff, ring, etc...).  They use ancient mai as an example who would be very different in her approach to magic.

My understanding of the PC is that his character grew up with the martial arts, spent time in the military, got out and discovered a larger world (which in character development explained things that happened to him in the past).  His mentor is a wizard of the white council and he's "classically" trained, so very versitle, but he still relies on old habits.

I think he's going for the "spirit/force" effects to manifest through his punching and kicking, plus having the ability to lay down a zone wide effect when mulitple  bad guys show up.