Author Topic: Fire Laser  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fire Laser
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Can someone post the passage from Dead Beat that describes Luccio doing her fire laser spell?

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Laser
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:56 PM »
A laser would be earth evocation.  Lucio just casts a concentrated fuerzar

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
A laser would be earth evocation.

Or Spirit, what with it being Light associated.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
True.   But then its more the wizards will imitating a laser.  A wizard would have to have control of em fields to produce a real laser.

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
you guys are digging way to deeply into the laser remark. It's just a faster way of saying "hey her fire blast is so concentrated that it acts like a laser and cuts things instead of just blasting things and catching them on fire".

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
Fire lashed from her left hand—not a gout of flame like I could call up, but a slender needle of fire so bright that it hurt the eyes to see. She swept it in an arc at thigh level, and every one of the zombies coming behind went tumbling to the ground amidst crackling sounds of shattering muscle and singeing meat.

Nothing spectacular there, but I think that's the quote you are looking for.
And yes, it is just having fire uber concentrated to a small point. I think it may have been at least referenced again in a later book, but the scene isn't coming to mind.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
In game terms I think it's equivalent to an extremely high discipline roll on a low(ish) power spell.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
Nothing spectacular there, but I think that's the quote you are looking for.
And yes, it is just having fire uber concentrated to a small point. I think it may have been at least referenced again in a later book, but the scene isn't coming to mind.

the one you're thinking is when harry used soul fire to cast a fire spell the width of his first two fingers
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
the one you're thinking is when harry used soul fire to cast a fire spell the width of his first two fingers

There's that, and there was one other scene in Changes where Harry
(click to show/hide)

But I mean with Luccio, actually. I'm not sure if she does so in a later book or not; I know she does it again in Dead Beat, when she fires a shot over Harry's shoulder to hit a zombie, but anything beyond that isn't clicking offhand. . .
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
But I mean with Luccio, actually. I'm not sure if she does so in a later book or not; I know she does it again in Dead Beat, when she fires a shot over Harry's shoulder to hit a zombie, but anything beyond that isn't clicking offhand. . .

Well, there's also the scene in Turncoat
(click to show/hide)

But beyond that, I can't think of any other on-screen uses of her offensive magic.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
Well, there's also the scene in Turncoat
(click to show/hide)

But beyond that, I can't think of any other on-screen uses of her offensive magic.

Thank you, Myrrdhin. You just confirmed that I'm really not as crazy as I assumed myself to be ^_^;

Offline bcillustration

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »
We have a technomancer scion of Hephaestus / caster that uses light as one of his elements, lasers are his primary offensive rotes.

fun stuff!

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
We have a technomancer scion of Hephaestus / caster that uses light as one of his elements, lasers are his primary offensive rotes.

fun stuff!

you can only do that if the verbal component of the spell is *pew pew pew*  ;D   
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »
So... and to actually help out the OP with what he asked for  ;D
here's the quote from Dead Beat:

Fire lashed from her left hand—not a gout of flame like I could call up, but a slender needle of fire so bright that it hurt the eyes to see. She swept it in an arc at thigh level, and every one of the zombies coming behind went tumbling to the ground amidst crackling sounds of shattering muscle and singeing meat.

I'd say it's a zone attack.... since it would have had to be one HECK of a spell to fit into the spray-attack mechanics and still be strong enough at each target to kill it.

EDIT: ... and to make a Fool of myself, i realize after i posted this that the quote was already there... Yay Me!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:37:24 PM by Tsunami »

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
Not a fool at all Tsunami, your italics made reading it far more dramatic, allowing me to really conjure up the image of a zombie horde being cut down by Luccio's awesome control of fire magic. Why, I can almost smell the burnt meat...
* CMEast is off for a bacon sandwich