Author Topic: Rules question  (Read 1449 times)

Tbora

Rules question
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
Okay in the books it says rotes cannot change in anyway or they are not rotes, so here is my question, can a rote (Like Harry's Fuego for example) be made zone wide, all your doing is doing a less controlled version of the same spell?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Rules question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:58:08 PM »
Not as the same Rote, no.

A 'less controlled version' would be just casting it as a non-Rote spell, after all.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:53 AM »
   I concur with the above. If the character wanted to alter the effect of one of his Rote spells in that manner, that would require a roll. Basically he's stepping out of his "Tried and true comfort zone", and that comes with some complications (here represented by the need to roll).

That being said, I have been rolling around the idea of allowing players to "Alter" their existing rote spells for free at a major milestone. Provided that the Spell effect remains basically the same (In effect allowing them to "power boost" their standard tricks, to scale to their increase in power level).

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »
i am also going for the idea, letting players change their rotes as their characters mature (significant milestones). when they gain experience they will have new ideas and will abandon some tried-and-true effects for newer ones.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
If you are feeling generous, you can say/rule that since he is using mostly the same spell, he can just change 1 aspect of his spell on the fly (same total power applied to zone resulting in lesser heat or such) and get a +1 or +2 to his controll roll.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
I, too, would go with the notion of altering rites as you "mature", but would broke zero modification of a rote, and keeping it as a rote, in the middle of a session (barring a mid-session milestone, of course).