Author Topic: Catches for non-Toughness powers  (Read 3099 times)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catches for non-Toughness powers
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
I don't see a problem as such with power limitations (or catches) as long as they are limitations. It is a fairly common approach to most points based RPGs.

For example the full shapechange ability cost -4 and the single change form costs -1. Someone wants any natural non-extinct animal and disguise (human form) that is probably worth -3 or -4 with a +1 limitation.

Human form is +1 and affects all supernatural powers.  It kind of refutes your whole argument. 

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catches for non-Toughness powers
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
what does it mean to have a catch on a non-toughness power, from a game system standpoint?  What does it mean that the catch for his strength powers are reeds?

In this particular case, it would mean that he couldn't break reed bindings (and possibly hemp rope) because they would actively weaken him, sapping all his strength (mechanically speaking, his Might would be reduced to Terrible (-2)).  I wasn't quite satisfied with this method, though.

OTOH, I hadn't considered just making it a part of his High Concept, which seems like it would be a better solution.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire