Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242717 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »

Signed even!

I really haven't understood the point of signed copies.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline IEatChibi

• Conversationalist
  • April 23rd, April 23rd!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
I've always thought of a signed books as a kind of memento and proof of getting to meet the author in the flesh. I don't think that the virtually signed books would carry the same kind of oomph as a signed book that you had handed to the author, watch him sign, and then had handed back to you.  At least, its that way for me; the signed book is all about the attached memory, not the literal signature :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."   -Groucho Marx

“It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living."   -Terry Pratchett

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:53 PM »
I've always thought of a signed books as a kind of memento and proof of getting to meet the author in the flesh. I don't think that the virtually signed books would carry the same kind of oomph as a signed book that you had handed to the author, watch him sign, and then had handed back to you.  At least, its that way for me; the signed book is all about the attached memory, not the literal signature :)

There is a very cold reason to want a signed book without having gotten it signed in front of you.  Money.  Simple fact that I have Anne Rice's The vampire Lestat in graphic novel form.  Now if it was signed by her (Me there or not) I know it's worth would leap about fifty dollars.

And to pull the thread back on it's old topic, I love the show and books.   I view them as separate entities but I love them both and there are certain factors that exist in both and it's a wonderful union.  A very recent example of this is Welcome to the Jungle, which was inspired by a quote from the TV show yet it's set in the bookverse.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:15:41 PM by Darkling »
'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »

All of my signed books are personalized, I would never sell them, has nothing to do with money for me.  My two favorite personalizations are from Bruce Campbell, who wrote "Thanks for the Gay Scene!" (I had asked him about a love scene he did on the TV show Beggars and Choosers), and China Mieville who wrote "Read M John Harrison NOW, stop what you're doing and read him NOW!" 

Great stuff.
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline CountieLt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
I watched and loved the show, but I never realized that it was based on a book series until I was searching for books to download to my e-reader.  At first I ass*u*me*d that the books were based on the show...imagine my delight when I finally figured out the truth!  I downloaded Blood Rites on January 29th, read it, loved it and promptly downloaded (and, metaphorically, devoured) all of the rest (including two of the anthologies containing short stories).  I'm now anxiously awaiting the release of Turn Coat!  My only complaint is with Mr. Butcher is his ignorance of firearms...but he appears to be learning (though he still insists on calling a magazine a clip...but many people make that mistake :'( ).
"Justitia fiat, ruat coelum."  "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

Offline SmilingFellow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
 I saw the series on Scifi, saw it advertised and thought it was cool.
 I caught it the week it aired and got hooked, every Friday I was there, until I had work.
 Then, once work picked up I started missing episodes and more or less forgot about it.

After it was canceled, I was at Walls smart and saw Grave Peril, didn't know at that point the series was based on a book series. The differences between the books and series sat fine with me, I enjoyed the series, but books were better.

Need a "Watched series, then got insanely addicted to the books." option.

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
In my case.. I kinda avoided the books because of the show.
Now, now don't be like that :).  I totally enjoyed the show, still irks me somewhat that it wasn't brought into a second season (no surprises I don't bother with SciFi channel anymore, after Firefly and Dresden got cut down for no logical reason). 
I just don't like reading the books after seeing the movie/shows.  Dumb thinking, but there it is  ;)

I think it was just a co-incidence really.  I knew there were roughly the same amount of shows as there were books - and looking over some titles, it looked from the surface that the show was the book, or at the very least heavily based on it.

'Till my brother loaned me one of his (Fool Moon) a few weeks back.  Couldn't put it down, went over to the bookstore and bought all the others the next day.  Now I'm waiting for Turn Coat to be available here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:11:06 PM by uncanny »

Offline TwistedWillow1912

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
actually, My boyfriend got me totally into them, but I have no clue where he found them.
That's right! I'm a knife-weilding, Ninja Poptart who hates Twilight...what'cha gonna do?!

~compliments of: My Twisted Imagination~

Offline eshadow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2009, 12:00:26 AM »
I was bummed when the show ended, so decided to check out the books.
Now, I'm completely addicted, but rewatching the show throws me a bit
because of the differences :)

Offline zengal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »
Welcome. I'm just curious as to the numbers of board members who "found Jim" because of the TV show.

OK! I found out about Jim Butcher a while back, but didn't pick him up, as I was obsessed with Terry Goodkind. After I finished that series, I was desperate and thirsting for some more fantasy. I picked up the Furies of Calderon, right before The Dresden Files came on TV. I put the book down (sorry!). I bought ALL the Dresden books available to me. When I finished those, I went back to the calderon series, and ate those up. I read Turn Coat in 3 days! DANGIT! WRITE FASTER! I'm all out! I NEEEED more! does anyone know any other authors I can read to satiate and placate my addiction? and FYI I own every book Jim Butcher has published except for the short stories. (I'll be buying those soon)

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2009, 04:38:22 AM »
I found about him by the television show.  And I am quite happy to find that there are books and they are great.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Derek Ruiz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Sea Lion Books
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2009, 12:58:12 AM »
I saw the Ads for the TV series on things all over NYC before the series premiered ....then I met Jim at NY Comic Con....then we got Welcome to the Jungle going.

I didn't see the show until after I met Jim.

So kinda!
Derek Ruiz
Executive Vice President/ Publisher
Sea Lion Books

Offline MBH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
I read about the tv show coming to Sci-Fi.
It sounded interesting.
In the article it said that there were a bunch of books and an underground fan base of sorts who may not like the changes.
At that point I decided to watch the show and see what I thought.
I loved the show right away and decided to check out the books.
I looked on-line saw there were a bunch of books and decided to put it on my list of books I want.
It wasn't until a month ago, I was able ot get them.
"Life is loneliness, broken only by the gods taunting us with friendship and the odd bonk." ~ FOOL, Christopher Moore

~Amanda~

Offline xerephim

• Participant
  • Come over to the Dork side. Dont make me destory u
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2009, 02:42:34 AM »
I found JB in 2008 and didnt even know there was a show. Im not into Sci Fi network, they went kinda downhill to me. Im just into urban fantasy and found him when white knight came out on paperback. Now his my favorite writer and Im glad I read the series b4 I saw the show.

I may not look like much, but Im a pro at pretending to be a Ninja.

Offline haroos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I don't want to sound harsh, but I count myself lucky I read the books first
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
because I would never have picked them up if I had seen the tv show first.