Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242338 times)

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 07:52:20 AM »

I didn't know about the books until after the show began.  At first I wasn't that interested in the show.  The commercials didn't reveal much about the content.  They should have made the commercials more magical.  Someone started pressuring me to check it out and then finally my closest friend told me I should watch it. The first two episodes had already aired so I watched it over the computer and I got hooked.

I bought the books the other day.  I have already read Restoeration of faith over the computer, and I have read all of Storm front and Fool Moon.  And now I'm a little bit into Grave Peril.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline FenderBender

• Participant
  • Lord of the Strings
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 01:39:55 PM »
The Barnes and Noble had a big display of all the books and I picked one up scanned it and put it back cause I already had too many other books. That night I saw and ad ( this was last summer) for the Dresden Files show coming in Jan. I said "ooh, now I gotta get those books". and went out and bought them all the next day and read them in a week. I am currently on my 3rd time of reading them all the way through with my wife right behind me.

We need more chlorine in the gene pool.

Offline CCB5Dresdenfan1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 10:37:43 PM »
 :)Yes, indeed, I started reading the books because of the show, only have one more to go. I am surprised I didn't hear about them before, they are so phenomenal. I really have found a new fandom, and am excited about it. I now wish there were a few more of the characters, and all in the show that are in the books, but it would be expensive to do. I would love to see films or miniseries based on each novel, like the Harry Potters have been. I think Paul Blackthorne makes a great Harry and I only hope the show gets renewed. It sure is better then most prime time garbage these days. So, a resounding YES to the question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:39:35 PM by CCB5Dresdenfan1 »

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 03:55:28 AM »
So is Restoration of Faith supposed to be like a prelude or what?

Offline hoshijuls

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 05:23:15 AM »
I am guilty of discovering the books via the TV show. Does them mean I'm no longer cool? I am trying to compensate by buying the books as fast as humanely possible.

I ordered the first 4 books from B&N after seeing the fist few shows, and talking to fellow fans on the Sci-Fi Forums for The Dresden Files.   I'm uncool, but loving the books, and the show! :D

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 05:25:38 AM »
So is Restoration of Faith supposed to be like a prelude or what?

It's kind of a thirty page short story prequil to Storm front from what I could tell. I can't find it in book form. I had to download it.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 05:53:17 AM »
Where can I find it?

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2007, 05:56:45 AM »
Where can I find it?

I found it on a torrent.  I'll send it to you if you like.  I have it as a Microsoft reader file.  Microsoft reader is an easy to find program.  It's on the official Microsoft website.  it opens certain text files like a small book on the computer screen and can add a robot reader voice if you want (but you don't have to use that feature).

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2007, 08:44:53 AM »
Where can I find it?

It's on the jim-butcher.com website but here's the link as well.  Here is also the vignette that Jim wrote too.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »
Thirty pages, Darkling?  I think you're confusing it with "Something Borrowed," Jim's short story from "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding." :D 

As Zygoptera said, the best place to find it and "Vignette" is on Jim-Butcher.com, at the links she provided.

Offline gknee

• Participant
  • My feet are wet and I can see the pyramids
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the links Zygoptera, I loved them.  :) Restoration of Faith is wonderful.
- "You are, I take it, Harry Dresden?" "If I'm not, he's going to be upset with me when he catches me running around in his underpants".

- "I'd hate to find out that the universe really wasn't conspiring against me. It would jerk the rug out from under my persecution complex".

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 10:55:07 PM »
Thirty pages, Darkling?  I think you're confusing it with "Something Borrowed," Jim's short story from "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding." :D 

As Zygoptera said, the best place to find it and "Vignette" is on Jim-Butcher.com, at the links she provided.

I forgot how long it was.

Offline AndrewRK

• Participant
  • How come Harry gets to use real magic and I don't?
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 01:25:03 AM »
I had never heard of the books, or even Jim Butcher, before the show came on. I hunted them down soon after. Also, man am I glad to see those links. I read all the books and found myself seriously missing them.

Offline Vendrin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 07:38:14 AM »
Saw the first two shows, looked on sci-fi.com to look at some previews, noticed the based on books thing, and picked up the books and very satisfied I did.

Offline Sidara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 02:36:54 AM »
(de-lurks)

I'd heard of the books, mostly because I was in Buffy fandom at the time and people mentioned that James Marsters was doing the voice-overs (ironically this put me off because I was terribly terribly sick of Spike).

Didn't really think anything else of it until I was in the States a few weeks ago and channel surfing, and the lovely Mr Blackthorne appeared on my screen.  After I'd picked my jaw up off the floor and mopped up the drool, I watched the rest of the episode (it was Hair of the Dog).  Went straight to the bookstore and bought Dead Beat and Proven Guilty as the others were out of stock.  Read em, and now I'm addicted, and busily trying to get friends into the show/books.  Currently I've read everything up to about a quarter of the way through Blood Rites, which is leaving me in something of a panic as it's the last unread book I have!