Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242261 times)

Offline Sil76

• Participant
  • Self-Confessed Book Devourer
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
Sure did, and boy am I *happy*!!

In fact, I just finished my first read of Storm Front, and dang it if it didn't take far too little time to read!!!  I couldn't put it down - amused a few of my customers to no end when surprised into a chuckle - and was most sad to turn the last page... and immediately went riffling through it again ;D

*happily scurries off to the library to snag the next 2*

Sil
Darned tired.  Darn me unto heck.

Offline Courser

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 08:57:43 PM »
I'd actually heard some buzz about Dresden around some sci-fi circles before I knew the television show was coming out.

I immediately put The Dresden Files on a Season Pass on Tivo. Loved what I saw in the first couple of eps, so took myself off to Borders to buy a couple of books.

I read Storm Front in a day. Couldn't put it down. I've begun Grave Peril (Borders didn't have #2) but work, etc., have kept me from devoting endless time to it. All the better to savor it, I guess.

Plan on buying more of the book series as time permits. This is exactly my cup of tea!

Offline Lady Geektastic

• Conversationalist
  • Me. In make-up and sepia.
    • View Profile
    • Random Acts of Cod
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »
You just get to hang back and be the cool kids on the block. ;)

Sweet.  *sits back and waves at the newbies*

Aha! VIP Privilages all the way. ;D We get real hand-craved staffs instead of hockey sticks, free paint-by-numbers mini B-Bug and first-call on silver denarians (your choice of symbols). If you come to the ButcherCon!!! in a gloved left hand, you get discounts on a skull that throws the best DF quotes! ;)

Btw, what about those who discovered the TV shows but haven't read the books yet?

Do you realize what you've done!! You have elevated the geeks to the level of "Cool Kid"! Do you realize what this means??? The very fabric of reality is becoming unravelled! The concepts of time and space will be reversed! LARPing will become more popular than Football!!! (Both versions, since I'm sure the European cool kids play soccer/football.) The magnetic poles will reverse! The universe will be turned inside out! THEY'LL BRING BACK MST3K TO NETWORK TELEVISION!!!

Plus, now I get to wear a leather jacket and carry a skull around in public. A skull with orange LED's in the eye sockets. Sweeeeet!
Some people are like slinkies. They're basically useless, yet you still can't help but smile as you shove them down the stairs.

Offline Elizabeth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:54:39 AM »
My husband and I started watching the series and noticed they were from books.  We both LOVE to read, so off to the book store.  First three books read in one week.  We didn't even have to fight over who started first.  He's such a gentleman!.  Today we bought the next four.  He is one book behind me, so no fighting this time either.  We love that they are written in first person.  Perfect for a private eye!  Some one please tell me, how old is Harry? (I think I missed it)  Thanks!

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 04:03:32 AM »
Late 20s early 30s I think.  Not sure if it was ever pegged down for sure though.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 04:06:16 AM »
I heard about the series and that it was based off a novel series. I was intrigued by the concept and picked up the books just after christmas (I love it when relatives give me cash, it's always my color and the perfect size). I plowed through all 8 books and Restoration of Faith in just under a month. Now I've also purchased the audiobooks and listened to the first 3 (waiting for Summer Knight to be released).

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 05:58:49 AM »
Some one please tell me, how old is Harry? (I think I missed it)  Thanks!

The elite detectoring skills of our board members have revealed that Harry is 27 or 28 in the book "Storm Front."  You can check out the full series timeline here, but BEWARE OF SPOILERS FOR ALL EIGHT BOOKS!

Offline df2506

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 06:11:34 AM »

I heard about the books because of the TV Show.

When Sci-Fi announced the series and what it about, I thought that sounded cool. I also thought I might check out the books. But I didn't. Later, when the series was about to start on Sci-Fi, I decided I'd check out the books. So I got to read Storm Front and maybe the second book (not sure) before the series started. I really like the books and they definitly got me excited for the series! So I continued to read the books!

I'm on 'Death Masks' now and I'm enjoying the books alot. The TV Show is good, but the books are GREAT. I really like how Harry's world continues to change through out the books and the situations that Harry is put in are cool! My favorite book so far is Summer Knight (wow that was great), but 'Death Masks' is really cool so far. It may even replace Summer Knight. Gotta finish the book before I'm sure! :)

Anyway, I'm definitly a Dresden fan!  ;D

DF2506

Offline Darth KTrava

• Conversationalist
  • Harry Dresden vs. Harry Potter Who would win?
    • View Profile
    • Stellarcon 31
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
I don't think geeks can handle being "cool".... Might unnerve a few of them....

Read the books starting last June.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:20:36 AM by Darth KTrava »

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 04:01:26 AM »
Read the books before the show, and in a way I feel a little sorry for those who are approaching from the other direction. I mean, it kinda sucks for me when I try to watch the show and it barely resembles the books in anything more than character names. The myriad changes to just about every detail, great and small, become a constant nagging distraction even when I try to look at the show as an entirely different universe. It's not much of a loss for 45 mins of TV, but if something similar affects those that knew the show first...  :(

Well, at least the stories and characters in the books are much stronger and more complete, so the dissonance would probably wear off during Storm Front, and it wouldn't bother them for the rest.

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 05:10:01 AM »
As I stated in a post on a different topic, I saw the preview then read all 8 books in 3 days (gotta love 12 hour shifts).  I enjoy both the books and the show and find it interesting how the producers of the series use their creative license.  I'm now doing missionary work to spread the Gospel of Dresden.

I bet the rpg might help gain more converts when it is released.
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob

Offline CCB5Dresdenfan1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 05:32:45 AM »
I did. And I searched them out on Amazon, and have them all or am going to be receiving them. And I saw Paul and Jim at Comic Con too, which is really neat.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:45 PM »
Read the books before the show, and in a way I feel a little sorry for those who are approaching from the other direction.

In certain cases, I kind of prefer "approaching from the other direction." As we've seen in this case, reading the book(s) first and then seeing a movie/TV adaptation of that world almost always leads to some level of disappointment. It's the nature of the beast.

However, if you're exposed to the video version first and - like me - are intrigued enough to check out the source material, you are given the key to unlock a door that opens onto a richer, more detailed world that fleshes out what you've already been enjoying onscreen. (And, when I've skimmed bits of SF, I tend to visualize Paul and hear his voice; which tells me that, for me at least, Paul is going a good job of maintaining the spirit of Harry.)

I'm in the middle of another book, so I haven't had a chance to read my copy of Storm Front, but I went to Borders last night while running errands and picked up a copy of Fool Moon anyway, because I've been that impressed with the show and what I've skimmed of SF. I couldn't resist - I started reading FM in the car before I drove away, and I got sucked in, reading the first 12 pages in one whoosh before I realized I'd done it. :) I'm beginning to understand the wicked fast reading times I've seen quoted on this board.
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline MsDaywalker

• Lurker
  • New fan- dont hert me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 05:57:58 AM »
*other* i had heard good things about Jim from other forums and amazon reviews long ago but just got round to reading the book even tho the first 2 where in my TBR pile. then i heard there would be a tv show and i knew i wouldnt be able to NOT watch a new scifi, mystery show about a wizard. so i quickly read the first 2 before the show started so i would know the chracters before. but then i watched the show and  wondered.... is this the same show ?...mostly why Murphy was a brunette ?
i really like the books alot iam finishing the 3rd book now, so i went to my Barnes&noble(b/c i had a gift card) to pick up 4 and 5 they where all out of the books except 7 and 8 ! i was shocked! i hope this means the show is doing good.
A lost GOTH living in tha LAND of the SideShow!
my fav is BOB!!

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 06:59:38 AM »
I one hundred percent did.  I've only finished Storm Front so far though.  I still have all the others to read.