Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242720 times)

Offline vampytasha

• Lurker
  • vampytasha
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
 I am a big fan of James and a friend from the usa send me three chapters of storm front and that was it i was hooked. i now have the 5 audio books for i was able to get them before i could get the books for my usa friend sent them to me.
     but the books she was keeping. lol. But hoping to get the books soon but its easyer to get them on line then to pick them up off the shelf in england. Which is a pity for if you want them you have to order it.
    And now i am hook on Harry and i would love to see Jim more in the book self over here for its a great set of books. I ve now got my nephew, mum, two daughters aswell as two of my friends and even a young lad that was asking what i was listing to on the bus.lol. So i am doing my bit.
    You see i dont sleep good and found out audio books help me to stay in bed and rest instead of up and woundering around and becoming too tried. As well they help me relax too for having 5 kids dont help lol but i can sit on a night and chill with my head phones on.
    But never seen the tv thing. wish i had in away for i would of found the books faster.

Darkness is where i lay my head.
I keep my tresure in my chest
it cold for now and has no beat.
Untill my love kisses my lips.
and light glow thought me.

Offline Taraza

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
I discovered the books first.  Actually a young woman in a dark red dress and pentacle appeared in the SFF part of the library where I was browsing and said, "These are good...you'll like them," as she pressed FM into my hand.  (SF wasn't in at that time.) And I've never seen a TV episode yet due to issues of having no cable.  But I explored the SciFi site tonight, and what the--Bob is played as an actual person? What?
Taraza
You want me to help save the girl, overthrow the dark lord, and defend the innocents terrorized by dark magic. And you want me to do it because you're my long-lost half brother who needs someone noble to stand beside him in desperate battle for what is right. BR p166

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »
I watched the show and liked it due to the quirky humour, Harry's voice overs and interesting caricatures.Then about six mounths later on a RPG site I read that the show had been droped.
I knew it was based on a book series, so after a short search I found they are written by a Jim Buttcher.
So I orderd the books at a local book store and after reading the first three I was hooked on the Dresden files.

I like ghost Bob better over Spirt Bob but only just and when I read the books I cant help but see the actors in my minds eye.

Good show.

Great books.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:25:21 AM by T.R.C.C. »
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.

Offline Freya MacRieve

• Participant
  • It's Hockey Night in Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 30, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »
I accidently found the books first.

Wandering around the book store like I so love to do :) They looked neat and so I bought the first book. While I was reading the first book I looked up more on the internet and found there had been a show on the Sci-Fi channel and then got that cause I loved the books so much...

After Fool Moon I was hooked and couldn't read them fast enough :)
C.I.A. - Certified Idiots Association

Offline IEatChibi

• Conversationalist
  • April 23rd, April 23rd!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2008, 03:57:32 AM »
I saw the promos for the SciFi show, read the reviews that came out before the show was released, and... went out and bought the first 5 books at once a week before the show started ^^ (what, they were having a sale :D)
i liked the show a lot, but the books...hmmm...lets see...amazing? astounding? nirvana? pinacle of fantasy/SF literature? jim really created something amazing here- he should be proud. ;D Thanks from the rabid fan base!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."   -Groucho Marx

“It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living."   -Terry Pratchett

Offline Venexea

• Lurker
  • The Women In Dresden's World are All Hotties!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »
I'm rather a hard ass about my CG, shows and especailly supernatural & fantasy type shows as this was. I had been meaning to see if the library had them (was pretty sure they wouldn't since the library here in Niagara Falls bites more then a vampire at a blood bank) and it wasn't till my spouse was driving his father about to fix the 'Gremline's Touch' I did with his computer that I wandered over to check it out. Hubby had been ribbing me to just go since he's the ubber reader in our family since I was nit-picking the show pretty bad and knowing the marvels of books...

I ended up falling hard for The Dresden Files Series, absorbing them in 3 days, where any other book I might finish it in 10yrs if ever. Believe me - I've pretty much go on a tingget about the series and how obsessed I am about the world. It's made a HUGE deal for me to finally find series, a genre that I so enjoy ... even though I kick myself not finding them in school years for book reports. If I had I might be a better (and published) writer now if I had found the books earlier then my early 30s.

Offline Filo3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • iWoodWonder
« Reply #261 on: November 19, 2008, 04:11:15 AM »
I was intrigued by the commercials for the Dresden Files that they pushed on us watching the SciFi ch leading up top the series but it was not a calling for me. I finally saw it one night and was not blown away, sadly. I just lacked... something. I did love Murphy's hair though... yowza! My lord, that woman is lovely.
A year or so later, I was in the library nearby and I saw a dresden files book on the new releases shelf called, "Proven Guilty."
I piked it up and made my way through it but, as you can imagine, with no back-story, parts of it were very hard to follow but... I'll be damned if I was not hooked like a pickerel from the start. I slowly made my way through all the books at one point plunking down money for five or the novels in the series at one time at a local borders. My girlfriend though I was nuts but I laughed and told her that Butcher was simply that damned good.

After me raving about it all she finally picked up Storm Front... then Fool Moon.... then, over a long weekend, she killed all the boos in the series. I could not get her away from them. My 11 year old son has read them and he loves it all. I even went out and he and I have bought and read the Codex Alera series which is terrific on its own though my Lady could not adapt to it.

All in all, while the TV show seemed doomed to failure from the start for a lot of reasons from casting to bland scripting... I am grateful for it as it proved to be the bait that hooked my shaggy ass into the Dresden world. Butcher is one of the most incredible authors I can thin of and he has my respect and love. I hope I get to share a lot more time with HArry unraveling the mysteries of his universe.
"I never drive faster than I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

Offline Flinx

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Follies
« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
I was wandering the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section in  a book store, when I noticed a book that said "Book 1 of the Dresden Files" Hmm...I read the rear cover, and that was it. I checked the stores every 6 months for the next book in this amazing series. When the show came out, I did not have SciFi Channel  >:(  so I missed out. I recently grabbed the DVDs, and was a bit saddened by the many and varied differences.
"Great joy in camp we are in View of the Ocian, this great Pacific Octean which we been So long anxious to See. and the roreing or noise made by the waves brakeing on the rockey Shores (as I Suppose) may be heard distictly"
- William Clark
November 7, 1805

Offline Mikolicious

• Lurker
  • If idiots could fly, this place'd be an airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2008, 02:39:59 AM »
no, I was browsing my library and they were small, black, and there were lots of them, so I read the little bio thingy and checked one out and bacame addicted. only problem is i started with Dead Beat and didn't understand some of it...lol!
The work of a writer is never done,
One story finished,
Another begun.
   - by moi

Offline Desden

• Conversationalist
  • Dead Beat is thus far my favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2008, 01:07:03 AM »
i knew of the tv show, but never watched it, what happened is i was reading a harry potter fanfiction that was a cross over with the dresden verse. pretty much based on little harry finding one of the denarian coins. so after after a quick wikipedia search and one torrent later i was reading stormfront and the rest is history, i bought all the books at once at my local bookstore and havent turned back since. im thinking of getting the tv series, worth it?
"Took cover," I provided. "In the action business, when you don't want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it 'taking cover.' It's alot more heroic."

"Right," Butters said, flushing. "I took cover."

"It's fun, taking cover," I said. "I take cover all the time." - Dead Beat

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »
It was a good show, but it might as well be a whole different universe from the Dresden books; so much book canon is ignored, shifted, modified, etc., that it doesn't match the books in any significant way. That being said... again, fun show. Gone for good now, though, and the rights don't devolve back to Jim for some time, so any chances of a reboot are slim and in the medium-distance future.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Casterbridge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
Probably as good a place as any to say hello.

First heard about the show on another forum (after it was cancelled) and watched it on Hulu.com.  Enjoyed it enough to grab Storm Front from the local B&N next time I went in.

Now I own all the books to the Dresden Files (and the Codex for that matter) and decided start re-reading the books again after just finishing a Small Favor, and impatiently waiting for April to roll around.

Chianacat

« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
No, I found the books witout knowing there had been a show.  I later got the show on DVD but it just was not the same and I didn't care for the show too much.

Offline Ruairidh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
I started off watching the show and due to my work i am away from home a fair bit so i bought all the books to read while i am at sea and they are one of the only things keeping me sane at the moment thanks jim

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
Yup.  Watched the show and took an entire year of gobbledy gook in my life before I picked up the books.  Now I've read all the books in a month and a half. 
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!