Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
498 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 676

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 238432 times)

Offline TheSpell

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
I found the books first because of a forum and read them. Then, I learn the show but never watch it.

Offline babsncats

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
A friend loaned me the DVD in January. Loved it, loved the characters. by episode 4 I learned there was only one series and noticed the Based On...tag for Jim Butcher...ooh, there are books! Finished the series, bought the first book and despite realising immediately the set up was pretty different the characters obviously grew tenfold with the unlimited scope of writing vs TV restrictions. Hooked totally. I have bought maybe 20 books in the last 30yrs...14 of them are Dresden Files downloaded. might have to get the hard copies for re reading old style :-)  Already bought and rewatched the DVD!

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
The show almost kept me from trying the books, it was so bad. Probably why it took me 5+ years after that to finally give the book series a try.

Though apparently my Husband liked the TV series, but isn't planning on reading the books. Could be because I Talk about them so much I give away too many spoilers. My bad.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:00:43 AM by Tami Seven »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
I found the DF books through a process that involved the TV show.  I heard Jim Butcher being interviewed on a radio show/podcast called Slice of SciFi.  (The radio show can be heard in North America on the Sirius/XM Book Radio channel.  I'm pimping the show because I am on it just about every week.)

Jim was being interviewed about both the books and the TV show.  I thought he was smart and funny and he mentioned the HBO movie "Cast a Deadly Spell" as a partial inspiration for the Dresden Files.  I saw that movie and remembered thinking that the concept of mixing a film noir detective with black magic was a great idea, even if the movie was just so so.

I started watching the TV show but was disappointed by its inconsistency.  The episodes were shown out of order and the first few episodes that aired were rather weak, to be polite.  The latter episodes started to get better, but it's not like they were getting knocked out of the park.  I was just intrigued enough with the show to visit the SciFi (now SyFy) channel's website and I started to read fan criticism of the show.  Some of the comments were rather shallow; "I hate this show, Murphy should be a blond," but some were really well thought out and well written, and more importantly they demonstrated a passion for the Dresden Files books that you just don't come across every day.  It was those fans who tipped the balance for me.

I decided not to make the mistake of the TV show and started with Storm Front and went from there.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline MengDie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 25, 2013, 12:02:30 AM »
I hadn't heard of the Dresden Files before I saw the show advertised but that isn't when I started reading them.  I actually didn't pick them until a friend I trust to recommended books suggest them.

Offline EvilDan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
I honestly never read Jim Butcher or sadly heard of him before approximately 3 months ago. WHen I read the snippet explaining a detective in Chicago.. who is also a wizard, I was determined to read them. Sadly, I'm done what is currently published in the series at this point, but 14 books in 3 months isn't too bad at all.

I can easily say it was the most compelling, most addictive book series I have ever read. I'm a big fan of Jim Butcher now and will forever look out for all releases. Now I'm reading all of his other works starting with the Furies of Calderon.

I've never met Jim, and I'm sure he is extremely busy and super well received at this point, but I wish he could somehow produce at least one Dresden Files book a year. :)

Talking about the show, I watched the first episode or two on Netflix, but sadly could not get into it since so much seemed to differ from the books. Sadly, it just wasn't the same. I'm hoping for a proper reboot that stays true to the books. :)
You may be a king, or a little street-sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 31, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »
Hi EvilDan- He used to publish a DF book a year. He is now taking more time, which I guess is normal. I can only think that after a time you need to do other things or you got burned out of the characters.
Also, he is now writing a new series, a steampunk one.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline EvilDan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 31, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Hi EvilDan- He used to publish a DF book a year. He is now taking more time, which I guess is normal. I can only think that after a time you need to do other things or you got burned out of the characters.
Also, he is now writing a new series, a steampunk one.

Yes, I did read that elsewhere in the forums. I realize the books are quite in depth and that maintaing his level of quality takes quite a bit of time, that and a good writing needs to expand beyond one idea.

Either way its all good. I'm just really addicted. :)
You may be a king, or a little street-sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
Another factor is that he is now writing the Cinder Spires books.

For the last couple/few books he wasn't working on any others, and he's even said that he gets tired of Harry after awhile.

So, with him working on something else, it may actually speed up his writing of TDF.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2013, 01:00:37 AM »
None of the above selections.  I heard about the books and read them first. Learned about the tv series about the same time it was cancelled. I could not imagine how they could succeed in turning this series into a tv show...there is just too much there.

I heard about the books from a hardboiled detective novel bookworm that I encountered on a different tv show chat forum. When that series ended those fans remaining talked mostly about books.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:40:11 PM by lilylis »
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline NeeCD

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »
Short answer: yep.

Longer answer is that I discovered the books in a round-about way through the TV show Arrow.  After the end of the season, I was looking for more info on it and was watching some interviews with the actors.  Hearing Paul Blackthorne's interview really intrigued me (I hadn't heard of him before) - he seemed personable and funny (and not really anything like his character on Arrow).  So I started looking around for other things he'd done and found Dresden Files on Netflix.  I really enjoyed the feel of it and so I looked into the books.  All this happened in June, and I'm now caught up to Cold Days and starting over from the beginning to find the things I missed the first time through.

I'm really glad I saw the show first - it doesn't hold up to the expectations raised by the books (not nearly gritty or dark enough for starters), but because I did see it before I had any preconceived notions, I still enjoy catching an episode now and then when I find myself jonesing for the next installment.  It's Dresden-lite.  Not as good as the real thing, but it serves to take the edge off.  If I'd read the books first, I'd be one of the frothy-mouthed "it just isn't right" people, for sure.

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 17, 2013, 02:33:54 AM »
Sure thing. I saw an advertisement for the show while I was watching Monk. As soon as
I saw the "based on ...." I went to the bookstore. I think it was funny because at the time
I was trying to decide which book to start with...."were they as good as the T.V. show?"
Sure the books are way better then the show. But I bought the DVDs. I thought the person who played Dresden was darn good. I know Murphy is blonde but I see Murphy as 2 people.
I see her with blonde/brown hair. I am very grateful to the show...I might not have ever
"discovered" Dresden Files and/or Jim Butcher.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 17, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
I also think the lead actor (Paul Blackthorne) was great.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Crewgar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 02, 2014, 05:11:11 AM »
I saw the show and loved it, but then got into the books a few years after when I found them on my brother's shelf... then got hooked and bought them all, and got about a dozen other people hoked as well, lol! It's one of the few book serises that I read every year or two, usually every year just before the next one comes out... which means it's just about time to start again! :)

Offline FriendlyFanofWizards

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »
I watched the first show theen it originally aired the pilot but never really got the chance to watch it. Later binge watched on netflix. I really got into the novels when I got Storm from audible. Jim is a great writter and I love Harry and his crew, but for me James Marsters performance really brings it to life for me. I drive a lot so DF is a god send for me. However I am quickly running out of books. If you haven't listen to James as Harry please do so it is a first rate performance.