Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242791 times)

Offline Konal

• Participant
  • Having fun yet
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »
I was first introduced to the series by my uncle who suggested I read them.  When I did I couldn't put them down.  I'm on my second time through reading the series.

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2007, 03:44:33 PM »
After the first season ended, I decided to pick up the books.  I bought the first couple, and I actually wasn't that impressed.  But I decided to see how GP was, and I liked it.  I read SK and I was hooked.  I've just finished my first reread of the series and decided to come here for information about the next one; in the meantime I'm enjoying looking around these forums seeing people's ideas about the books :)
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
  • Ridiculum sum, ergo sum
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
One of the choices should be "Been reading the books long before the show started and couldn't wait for the show"
That would be me!
~Theresa~
"Normal people are so hostile" - Dexter

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
One of the choices should be "Been reading the books long before the show started and couldn't wait for the show"
That would be me!

This particular poll was solely intended for the subset of people that discovered the show first. :D

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2007, 04:31:51 PM »
This particular poll was solely intended for the subset of people that discovered the show first. :D

Ahh, well it's good to know the show managed to bring so many over!
~Theresa~

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2007, 11:25:37 PM »
Nice cat.
There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
~Theresa~

Offline Stars and Stones

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
I started with the show and decided to get Storm Front to just check it out.  Before I had finished the whole thing, I had ordered every paperback (2-8). I tried to hold off on buying White Night until its paperback came out, but it was just too hard.  I think I'm seriously addicted and loving it! ;D
Discretion is the better part of not getting exsanguinated.

Offline Syntopicon

• Posty McPostington
  • All glory to the hypnotoad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
I did something similar, but I just kept buying as I was finishing.  So for about a week and a couple days I went to the book store each night after work to get the night's reading.  ;)

I was able to avoid reading anything about Codex Alera until about a week before CaF came out so as to avoid any waiting, of course now I have to wait a year, but I didn't want to wait until they were all out to begin the series.  Nowhere near that patient.
Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

You've seen it!  You can't unsee it!

Offline KillerMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2007, 04:57:38 AM »
I saw the previews and was immediately interested.  I then decided to watch the series before I made a final decision on whether to buy and read the books.  Liked the series (should have been renewed, it's the sci-fi channel come on) and knew the books would be better.  I only started reading the books this July and am about to start White Night.  The series is amazing and each book gets better than the previous which should be impossible with how good the series is.  The ONLY problem with the series is some of the dialogue can be on the corny side.  Other than that it is as perfect as it could be.  I'm not including some characters should have more face time since this series is supposed to go to the 20's it shouldn't be a problem.

I just hope there are other series based off of this.  A series about Bob would be good too since he will be around forever.  Maybe even a series about his mom and one about Ebenezer.  There are so many possibilities for spin-offs I hope Mr. Butcher does at least one.

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2007, 05:37:55 AM »
The ONLY problem with the series is some of the dialogue can be on the corny side.  Other than that it is as perfect as it could be.

But some of life's dialogue IS corny.
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline KillerMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »
Come on.  I said the series was perfect expect for a few spots where the dialogue was corny.  I didn't say all of the dialogue was corny or even a substantial amount.  I love the dialogue especially between Harry and Murphy.  The banter is done very very well.  No book and especially series is perfect but saying this is as perfect as any series can get is a huge compliment.  Also, I avoid all corny dialogue.  Just unnecessary and awkward.

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2007, 12:25:14 AM »
I wasn't disagreeing at all, sorry if it seemed like that.
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2007, 01:44:28 PM »
Come on.  I said the series was perfect expect for a few spots where the dialogue was corny.  I didn't say all of the dialogue was corny or even a substantial amount.  I love the dialogue especially between Harry and Murphy.  The banter is done very very well.  No book and especially series is perfect but saying this is as perfect as any series can get is a huge compliment.  Also, I avoid all corny dialogue.  Just unnecessary and awkward.

Yet, from some perspectives, THAT line could be seen as corny. *ducks* ;D ;)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline sheilabes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:01 AM »
Hi,  First of all I would like to say I'm new to the board and the Dresden files.  I found the books because I was looking at Rob Thurman's web page and the person who does her illustrations for her books, actually does the illustrations for the Dresden files.  I liked the cover and immediately went to Barns and Noble to look for the books.  I love them!!!!

After that I heard that the Dresden files was also a television show so I immediately went to Best Buy and bought the season 1 DVD's.

I love the show to and I hope it comes back for another season.  I can't wait to read all the books.  Matter of fact, I can hardly wait to read everything Jim Butcher has written.  I absolutely love him.