Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
498 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 676

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 238433 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #690 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
I liked Threshold, quite sad about the abrupt ending.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dorian Kong

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 16, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
It wasn't until the last episode of the series (original airdate in 2007) that I became aware of the books. I'm sure there were captions "Based on the book series by Jim Butcher" in there somewhere, but somehow it didn't register. I remember saying out loud, "Wait. There are books?!" I remember thinking, "I really like this show. I hope they get another season."

A few days later, I picked up Books 1-8 and pre-ordered "White Night" to get me started on some power-reading. After a few books, I remember thinking, "Wow. That's tv show was crap. There's no way they get another season."  :)

Offline KipIngram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 15, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
I saw the TV show first.  I considered it "ok," and was mildly disappointed that it had such a short run.  Honestly, though, it didn't seem particularly "special" to me.  Then sometime later (a few months to a couple of years - can't remember for sure) I was dredging around on Barnes and Noble looking for a new read and stumbled across the books.  I decided that I should at least read the first one, and dove into it without particularly high expectations.

Needless to say, I was gobsmacked.  I thought Storm Front was quite good, and kept reading.  My general opinion is that the first few books are fairly high-end fare, and as I read #7 I was constantly pausing to marvel over what a wild dose of fun it was.  Then #8 just blew me away - that was the one that made me realize I was reading epic fiction.  I think that's the story that made Harry Dresden more than just a character for me, in an extraordinarily deep way.

I might have tried the series out even without having seen the show, but I don't know for sure - there are so many books out there and so many of them are lame.  I remember having a generally discouraged feeling about my chances of finding something good that evening I was searching.  So so glad I tried the series out.  :-)

Offline Graves

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 27, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »
You don't have my option. read the books LONG before the TV show. I was a big anita blake fan but got sick of her nothing plots and endless sex. so while looking around for a replacement saw Dresden files, wanted an urban fantasy in place of too many normal fantasy's and fell in love.
Five words only: We are kids next door!

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 15, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
It wasn't until the last episode of the series (original airdate in 2007) that I became aware of the books. I'm sure there were captions "Based on the book series by Jim Butcher" in there somewhere, but somehow it didn't register. I remember saying out loud, "Wait. There are books?!" I remember thinking, "I really like this show. I hope they get another season."

A few days later, I picked up Books 1-8 and pre-ordered "White Night" to get me started on some power-reading. After a few books, I remember thinking, "Wow. That's tv show was crap. There's no way they get another season."  :)

*lol* Thinking back, you know, I think I did exactly the same thing, with much the same reactions.

And then after my third read-through of all the books that were out, I found this forum and started posting here. At the time, Jim was writing one Codex Alera book and one Dresden book a year, so it was easy to maintain enthusiasm for one series or the other in between books. I became a regular poster here as well, and the discussions of theories were another way of enjoying the series. So I guess I've really enjoyed the Dresden Files in three different forms: the TV show, the books themselves, and then the discussion of the books here on this forum.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline KipIngram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 30, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
I have to agree, AcornAmy; having this forum here helps "fill the void" while we wait. 

It's been a while since I posted this, so I'll say it again right quick - I watched the TV show, it ended, and I moved on.  Years later I was searching for a book to read, on Barnes & Noble (I had a Nook at that time).  I happed to do some search that led to the Dresden Files books.  I was like, "Oh, there are books?"  I didn't think the TV show was anything particularly amazing, but it was "ok," and I thought based on it the books deserved a chance.

MAN, am I glad I made that choice.  The books have become without a doubt my favorites that I've ever read.  :-)

Offline Xtofur

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 06, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
I didn't realize there was a tv show till a few years ago. In any case, I was browsing the library one day and ran across Jim's Codex Alera series. I read one and loved it so I looked to see what else he had written and found the Dresden Files. Besides The Lord of the Rings its become my favorite book series. Hard to believe its been ten years since I discovered them, but I'm so glad I did. 

Offline grumblebear

• Lurker
  • Who's got the chips?
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 18, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
I found the books first, I had been reading the “Spenser, for hire” novels, I had really enjoyed those books, but hated that tv series,
     This long break between recent books has been tough, i’ve found some great authors on Amazonwith very oddstories, is; “Hank Mossberg, Ogre/detective....

When in Danger, or in Doubt, Run in circles. Scream and shout...

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:03 PM »
Watched the show only after I started on the books.

I liked it. Took a lot of liberties with the source material, but was a really good show regardless.  A shame it only got the one season.