Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 241464 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #675 on: August 20, 2015, 08:37:19 PM »
Well, Valerie Cruz would be a good choice for Elisa (I loved the Gargoyles cartoon!)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Angela W.

• Participant
  • "What the....?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 30, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »
Saw the show twice. Found the books. Hooked after the third. Have all of them except the graffic novels. Waiting for book Peace Talks.  8)
;)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 19, 2015, 12:26:28 AM »
Almost surprised this is still a point of discussion. How many years has it been since the TV series went off the air?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Almost surprised this is still a point of discussion. How many years has it been since the TV series went off the air?
Five years less than it's been since Firefly aired.  Time is an Illusion  ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »
Also, I don't know but the show could be aired in reruns in different countries.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline lunasmeow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 31, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
Yes, I did. Surprisingly. The show wasn't... amazing or anything, but it go me curious enough since I already knew that books are usually an order of magnitude better than the movie/show when dealing with things like this.

Offline atom-alchemist

• Lurker
  • I'm a asshole, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 01, 2016, 07:40:33 PM »
i read one of the middle dresdan files books (changes maybe, can't really remember it was a long time ago) just because well curiosity, from there i went back to book one, and read the series, i hadn't heard of the tv show before reading the books, so, no i just discovered the books randomly

Offline Nyaeva

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 19, 2016, 03:29:39 AM »
No my brother told me I had to give these books a try and I was hooked.  I love them and can't wait for the next one. I watched the show but it was to different for me to really enjoy.

Offline franziska56

• Participant
  • callida vulpecula
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 04, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
No, I did not. I casually picked up White Nights at the station for a bit of light reading while travelling and I got, like, totally hooked!
Odi et amo. Quare id facias, fortasse requiris. Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Offline Antigon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 08, 2016, 05:40:55 AM »
The TV show was interesting, that made me interested in the books.  After reading Storm Front, I was hooked and plowed trough the rest 13 books in less than 3 months :)

Offline TimPendragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
Sort of, I guess. I heard about the show when it was in development, and then went and investigated the books. :)

Offline Mongward

• Conversationalist
  • Dwarf of the Or-Tench Citadel
    • View Profile
    • Polish FB fanpage of Dresden Files
« Reply #686 on: June 07, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
I first saw the series' name on TvTropes, but always assumed it was something about the city of Dresden and dismissed it as historical fiction, which is something I generally take no interest in. It wasn't until several years later that on an RPG forum I frequented and moderated back then, one of the users made a wizarding game, in its blurb defined as having been inspired by the Dresden Files. That triggered my interest and made me grab the ebooks of Polish (my native tongue) edition of the time. The rest is history.
Although if several of my current group of friends were to answer the OP question, they'd likely say "there was that hairy dude who kept yapping about Dresden Files, so I gave it a try". I regret nothing :D
Self-appointed Warden of my hometown. Poland is vastly understaffed, is what I'm saying.

The dice are on fire, and it's totally my fault.

Jaken

« Reply #687 on: June 23, 2016, 08:29:22 AM »
The show has converted another... My wife went from book one to book 5 in about a month  :D

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 28, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
The show has converted another... My wife went from book one to book 5 in about a month  :D

Wow GFY
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline alxwak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 07, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
Working as security guard on nights and a local chanel (Greece here) had it on the 01:00 slot, usually after "Treshold". I found it kind of interesting, so I checked Wikipedia about the show and found it was based on books. I was looking for any modern fantasy to read during night shifts, so it was a great coincidence. And then got totally sidetracked, because of the whole Laurell Hamilton thing Jim said and found out his books weren't translated in greek yet, but the first five of the "Anita Blake" series was, so I bought those until I could order the Dresden Files through Amazon.