Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242303 times)

Offline Old-Leaky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #660 on: May 01, 2015, 07:50:57 AM »
I certainly can thank the Sci-Fi (before it became SyFy) channel for introducing me to the books.  I didn't have a big book store where I was going to college, and I didn't get to go to one much, so when I had time to read for pleasure it was from books worlds familiar to me, and I hadn't tried any new stuff in a while.  The show didn't hold my interest, but it piqued my curiosity enough to check out the books, and I'm now a fan.  I must say, unlike the seeming majority, I quite like what they did with Bob's form on the show.  It was very different, but I think it fit the show's format to have a more anthropomorphic Bob.  The dead wizard in a skull thing was not as good as the books, but it humanized him, quite literally, for viewers of the show.

Offline dcinti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 04, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
A friend of mine recommended the series to me. I was looking for a really original fantasy series, so hard when they seem all the same. I picked up Storm Front and was hooked. Love them...they should be made into a movie, but then they tend t ruin the story when they do that.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 12, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
I believe I discovered both near-simultaneously. So I checked out the show on Hulu when they had it (back in the ancient times before Hulu Plus) because 45 minutes sounded like a better time-cost to see if I liked it.

Then I started ordering the books from the library one after the other, basically.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Brian Niemeier

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
First learned of the novels because of the show. Didn't start reading Jim until this year's Hugo packet. Now hooked.

Offline Netulven

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 30, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
I had never heard about these books until "Day9" aka Sean, said it was the best books he ever read on his stream
after he said it a couple of times I felt, "sure, why not give it a go"

Bought the first one about 2 mouths back, been bench reading them to say the least, just started reading skin games 30 mins ago
once I'm done with that, I'll propably get the comics and watch the show, just to see how it compares, without risking any spoilers XD

I will be sad the day, the story comes to an end
I find these books to be on pair with the Dark tower by Stephen King

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 31, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »
And you have Jim himself in an episode.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Netulven

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 31, 2015, 01:46:11 AM »
     I bought the DVD set after I read a few of the books. Had it not been for this forum, I would not know that there ever was a TV series. Comments from others here prepared me in advance, so I was not too seriously disappointed.

??? ::) ???

Well, I saw the casting and could were not to convicted that they looked like the characters I've imaged in my head
and since it only lasted for one season, I'm already quite sure its not up to pair,
but none the less, I still feel like, its going to be alright  :P

but yea thanks for the heads up regardless ^^

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 31, 2015, 01:56:27 AM »
I actually love the casting and I think show Bob is awesome. Valerie Cruz as Murphy seems like a shock at first, but I think she nails it
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Netulven

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 31, 2015, 02:12:47 AM »
I actually love the casting and I think show Bob is awesome. Valerie Cruz as Murphy seems like a shock at first, but I think she nails it

Aight,
Well, I'll see for myself, in a few days XD

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
aha, but she wasnt playing Karrin Murphy, she was playing Connie Murphy.  Apparently the Real Murphy got mad. 

(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

wizard nelson

« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
Heh, acquired a four episode disc from dollar general, my wife loved the show(she has had to listen to all my waggery for couple years) loved everything about it. But after watching it for about two weeks straight she picked up SF and read it through over the next week. Afterwards she was like 'they screwed that show all to hell!' The only thing she liked going back to it was Harry himself. I tend to agree, they kept the heart of Dresden, of being a wizard, but crapped on the rest.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
If you can separate it from the books, it's a fun Noir wizard story in it's own right.  If they arent weighed down by my expectations I liked the TV versions of Bob and Morgan, a Murphy with a Daughter was interesting, and I really enjoyed how he used common items for his magical tools, an extension of the "Witches used brooms because everyone had one so it wasnt disturbing" idea. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #672 on: August 20, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Bob's easily the best part of the TV show. Somewhere there's a youtube video that's just 20 minutes of him being sarcastic at people.

noquiexis: The reason Storm Front is closer is because it's the original pilot, so it is a lot closer to the books. Bob's even just a skull in it (which is why all his scenes were cut for the broadcast).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
Bob's easily the best part of the TV show. Somewhere there's a youtube video that's just 20 minutes of him being sarcastic at people.
Want a bit of Butterfly-effect/Small-world trivia? 

Bob was played by Terrance Mann.  Terrance Mann was the Voice and the physical inspiration for Oberon in the old cartoon Gargoyles.  Many original characters of the Dresden Files were based on that same Cartoon which JB watched with his son: Murphy=Elisa Maza, Marcone=Xanatos(character) and Morgan=Xanatos(Look)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #674 on: August 20, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »
And Susan got Elisa Maza's looks. I think she's even mentioned wearing the same outfit occasionally.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast