Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242663 times)

Offline Wildwood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #645 on: May 29, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Hello everyone!  Brand new poster, and this is my first post. How appropriate!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I did, in fact, discover the books from the tv show. I found the tv show only after it had been cancelled. I think it was airing in a marathon or some such. But I fell instantly in love with the whole concept of "wizard for hire"!! And as soon as I cottoned on to the fact it was based on a book, I knew two things:  first, that it was probably not nearly as good as the books were going to be, because - let's face it - no adaptation ever is!!!! But if I was enjoying the tv show that much, then I figured I was in for a rollicking good time reading the books!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Second, I knew I had to hit Amazon, like, immediately, to get the first few on the way to me. And now, Jim Butcher, and Harry Dresden, have a shelf of honor in my library!  ;D ;D ;D

I was right, of course. The tv show was nothing like as good as the books. I enjoyed them for what they were, but in retrospect (and as thankful as I am that the show put me on to the books), they wasted a great opportunity there!!!! Just sayin!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyhow - just finished Skin Game, which was awesome, and am riding a very high HIGH, as a result!  Is there anything better than a good book?  Apart from chocolate, I mean???  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 30, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »
Welcome to the forums!! and yes,  I am SG high too  :D :D :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 30, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
Wildwood - I did the exact same thing, except I saw the episodes as they aired, then when I went looking to find out about a second season (only to be disappointed) I found that they were based on Jim's books.  I've since gotten my whole family (except the daughter) hooked helplessly.

I'm about 80% done with SG, and will finish it tonight.

Welcome to the forums.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Illuvatar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:32 PM »
I read the books first, watching the TV show was like getting slapped in the face, it was sooo different and soo mush worse, it ruined like all the future themes after just the first episode, like a dad seriously?

Offline Taveren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
I saw the show first and in a way I'm glad it happened that way because it allowed me to enjoy the show on it's own merits, then read the books are realize that the books were way better than the show. Although I do look back at the show and chuckle a bit at some of the differences and discrepancies between the show and the books. Like how the actress who played Karrin Murphy is a dark haired latina and the actress who played Susan Rodriguez (she had a very small appearance in the show) was a blonde with blue eyes. The use of a hockey stick as Harry's staff is rather ludicrous looking back at the show after reading the books.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 21, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »
I actually love the hockey stick.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »
Me too, actually.  I loved the idea that the stereotypical wizard's staff and rod were just what was a randomly common object back in the day, rather than needing to be a twisted gandalf staff.  Similarly I like how Jim makes a point to have Harry do Circles with pepper instead of salt every time.  It's like a story I heard once that had witches Brooms were featured but it was just a wizards staff with a bit of straw tied onto one end so that people wouldnt question a medieval woman carrying it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rukhage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »
I never actually saw the show, but I remember seeing some posters way back when, then uni caught up with me and didn't give it much thought.  I only picked them up recently after hankering for some fantasy that didn't involve Westeros or Arda.  Have yet to regret it. :)

Offline Grimalkin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 11, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »
I started with the Codex Alera series.  Loved it.  Was not at all familiar with The Dresden Files.  Finally picked one up because I really like Jim's writing style.   Now I'm in the process of getting and reading the entire series.   It's just a really different approach, and I think it keeps things more interesting.   

Grimm

Offline alstevens

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 02, 2015, 12:09:16 AM »
Started reading the books way before the so-called TV show.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:09 AM »
I am a big sci-fi/ fantasy nut. I watched the show as it aired. was saddened it died. after it was done I was a grumpy geek. my sister found the book series an bought the first 3 in a boxed set. I was a happy camper. I also got her into the series an a few of my gamer friends, a couple non gamer friends too lol. I went back an watched the series and was kinda nitpicky but still enjoyed it. cannot wait for this to become a rocking series though. I think it would lose too much as a series of movies and the only way to go would be series similar to GoT or an animation. DF and WoT are in a mantra prayer I say at night I want brought out in a series. :D
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Toottootfan199

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 31, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
Ohhh Ya Anime it. Not American Cartoons but real Anime. I think That would be Awesome. Cause I don't want Disney tog get it and destroy it like it's doing to Star Wars and My Mavels. Ya Can't you just picture Dresden on Ice lol...nope this is not the sequel to Frozen .lol
Don't piss off the Fairies.

Offline deborahmac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:38 PM »
My son turned me on to TDF's and The Codex Alera years ago. We were excited about the television show because of the books! We lost him 5 yrs. ago at the age of 27 but one of our great joys was sharing these books and the conversations they inspired!  :)
I have found it is the every day deeds of ordinary folk that truly keeps the darkness at bay. <GTG>

We women have found you don't need to fight with a sword to die upon one! <Eowyn>

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:27 AM »
sorry for your loss.
also welcome to the forums.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline deborahmac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 04, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
Thank you for the welcome Phariah :) I think JB/Harry gave me back my smile and then my laugh with that wonderful sarcastic wit ! 
I have found it is the every day deeds of ordinary folk that truly keeps the darkness at bay. <GTG>

We women have found you don't need to fight with a sword to die upon one! <Eowyn>