Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242658 times)

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #615 on: November 04, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
Well, Thank you, DS. I don't know how old your daughter is, but I know that I wish now that someone had twisted my arm much sooner. My life and grades in school might have been much better. For me, it almost released all the blocks that were working against me in reading a long book... I would have never imagined I would be 13 books down one particular series... I am happy also that she is sharing in much of the same success.

As far as Mr. Marsters, I can honestly say I cannot imagine Harry's voice being any different. I can Honestly say, if he ever quits, I will be sticking to print.   Once again, thank you for your kind words, and thank you for supporting the Guard.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
I got into the books because of a friend--who I am forever grateful to--who kept talking about the series and said I should try it. I did, and fell in love. I heard about the tv show after that.

And I recently got another close friend to try out the series and she loves it. She's waiting as eagerly as I am for Cold Days.

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline rdaq97

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »
I watched the show but it never really turned me to the books until I got bored and decided I wanted to follow something new.  I started with the first 3 and then got everything up to Turn Coat (it was in hardcover then) within 2 weeks.  Been a fanboy eversince.  Pity I can't seem to get my fanboy friends onboard though.

Offline Nexfalx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:19 AM »
when the show came out i caught about half of the episodes. then forgot about it. a year or 2 later I saw you tube hosting the whole season with ads every 10 min so i watched the ones i missed. got hooked and re watched the whole tv series again. then I saw in the comment section someone moaning "omg book bob is so much better this guy sucks!" now i love the Tv bob but I hadn't even known about the books until then so I went to the library they had only once copy of i think proven guilty turns out like NONE of the libraries in my area ad the full set but they all had one or two. so i asked them to ship me a copy of storm front having read the little page in the on copy they did have that listed them. a week later they call me to come get it... it was the graphic novel volume 1  -____-; but i took it anyway while the library got the right book to come in. after storm front i wen and got the next three at one and read them in a week. i was in junior year at high school ( 3 years ago) and people kept getting surprised that I had a new book every other day. i manged to get the last current books in the series in once trip to 3 different libraries in 2 different towns. (death masks-turn coat) at finished them over Christmas vacation. a year later i bought the whole series as a Christmas present to my self.

just this summer I bought the Dvd of the tv series I was with my friend at the time and I was trying to get him into the series so on the way home I just told him to take the Dvds and get back to me in a week. he was hooked in a week and I gave him Storm front when he gave me the Dvds back. he's on dead beat now.

Offline palmerwmd

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »
never heard of the show beofre I saw this sticky.

Discovered the dresden files when (short time) stationed in Korea in the rec room.
They had 2 books there.

Since was off shift and sleeping during real daytime there was nothing to do during my offtime an foften during my on time as well.
Went to post library and read whole series.
Then bought every new bvook that was out even after coming back CONUS.

Fred.. : )

Offline sjss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
Never heard of him before the show. I loved the show, and then two of my friends said I should read the books, so I have.

I would have to say, I definitely like the 'book' Harry better, but I think I prefer the 'show' Bob. Then again, television show Bob and book Bob, I believe, actually have different purposes in their respective series. Functionally they are the same for Harry, but in terms of how they are supposed to interact with the plot, they both seem quite distinct.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 23, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
Well, I did see the show first, Without the benifit of reading the books, I though certian aspects of the show were great.  Now having read the books, I wish they had done more with the show. Unfortunately for me, I have lost interest in watching anything on the scifi network. They have a bad habbit of introducing bad plots and a healthy dose of cheese to any series that isn't strong enough to stand on its own. They also have a tendancy to end Good amd great shows before their time, while milking their institutions for all their worth... Example, Who thought that stargate would become the Law And Order of the SciFi world.

That being said, I think someone attached to the series had to be a fanboy... Someone not high enough to affect real change, but high enough to keep as much of the spirit of the books as possible. Origins aside, Bob was still Bob. Physical differences aside, Harry and Morgan were still Harry and Morgan.  Harry and Murphy's relationship was pretty much the same. And I can see Harry having a back up staff made out of a hockey stick... I think there were several times recently he wish he had thought to make one... or just an extra period.

I do believe that the time for a NEW series has come, since the origional came out, Game Of Thrones, True Blood, and The Walking Dead has changed the game. You can Introduce Storm Front as the plot of the entire first season, you can leave people hanging at the end of an episode and not only is it ok, the people in charge have realized that it is a good trick to make sure that we come back for the next episode.  With good Casting, good production, and good writers working along with Mr.Butcher to translate the story to script form.... I don't see anything but success, and a few broken bones, for our Harry Dresden.... Oh yeah, I am sure it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.... a new network!

Offline violynn

• Participant
  • Well isn't that Wizard!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 06, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
Have read the books for years, only discovered the show a month or so ago

Offline CindyLou

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »
There's a TV show?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 08, 2013, 12:06:30 AM »
Was. In Sci-fi, years ago.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
It's on Netflix

Offline Bedanzilla

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 19, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »
Happened upon the books first and glad I did.  The show looks terrible

Offline Timeline

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
I tried to watch the show after having read the series twice.

I made it through the first episode, and I like what they did with Bob. Other than that though, it was pretty disappointing.

Offline Miska

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 20, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Found the show first, in reruns I think. Told a couple of friends about it and one of them said "Haven't you read the books??"  Replied "Books, there are books?" and went down to the bookstore and bought all that were out at the time.

It's always good to find a new author.

Offline Drakar Kaine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 04, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
I found the books first. Couldn't get into the tv show because of that fact.