Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242687 times)

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2007, 03:28:28 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm almost done with Fool Moon and about ready to start on Grave Peril.

Offline Darth KTrava

• Conversationalist
  • Harry Dresden vs. Harry Potter Who would win?
    • View Profile
    • Stellarcon 31
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2007, 12:55:42 AM »
Currently I've read everything up to about a quarter of the way through Blood Rites, which is leaving me in something of a panic as it's the last unread book I have!

Oh, the horror!!  :P

Coming from someone who has too many books to read an oh, so little time......  :o

Offline THETA

• Conversationalist
  • Insert evil laugh now
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2007, 06:24:50 AM »
To my infinite shame i only started when tentative previews had been put up.  Of course, i had devoured the first four books before the first episode came out.  It's really hard for me to pick up any fantasy or sci-fi book without recomendations from a friend, peer, or teacher with good taste because I find myself dissapointed more often than not when trying to pick at random.  What better recomendation is it than to have a TV shore or movie made for it?  However, i could not just wait for the show.  I needed to be fully informed in order to properly criticize what i was watching and to make sure the reason for a TV show wasn't a crappy one like, the book is mindlessly popular.
The words on the mysterious door read:
"Fancy hearing cake."

Offline dawnsister

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
You just get to hang back and be the cool kids on the block. ;)

I get to be a cool kid??  Wow. That's a first.  ;-)

Offline Darth KTrava

• Conversationalist
  • Harry Dresden vs. Harry Potter Who would win?
    • View Profile
    • Stellarcon 31
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »
You just get to hang back and be the cool kids on the block. ;)

I get to be a cool kid??  Wow. That's a first.  ;-)

QFT

Offline Avelyn

• Conversationalist
  • The equation has changed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2007, 02:47:15 AM »
Initially, I didn't really know anything about Jim Butcher or the Dresden Files.  Then, I heard about the TV show and was intrigued, so I tuned in.  Liked what I saw and began reading the books.  I'm now on book 6 and making my way through them as quickly as possible. 
Beckett: (Clears throat) Ahem. What's the deal with men and boobs, anyway?
Castle: Biological. We can't help it.
Beckett: But doesn't it bother you that they're so obviously not real?
Castle: (Pauses) Santa's not real. We still love opening his presents.

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2007, 02:53:26 AM »
Initially, I didn't really know anything about Jim Butcher or the Dresden Files.  Then, I heard about the TV show and was intrigued, so I tuned in.  Liked what I saw and began reading the books.  I'm now on book 6 and making my way through them as quickly as possible. 

I just finished reading book eight a few days ago.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2007, 04:13:58 AM »
I just finished reading "Summer Knight" yesterday. It was so good! Jim's books keep getting better and better. I can't wait to get on the next one!
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline phylis583

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »
Totally wish i was a cool kid, and had found them before the show....but no luck.  Love the series, Am reading them as fast as my family allow.  They still need to eat, lol.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
I am guilty of discovering the books via the TV show. Does them mean I'm no longer cool? I am trying to compensate by buying the books as fast as humanely possible.

I quite frankly think that anyone who picks up Jim's books and enjoys them is cool, regardless of whether they're only now learning of his astounding writing talent or have known about it for years. :)
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
I couldn't resist - I started reading FM in the car before I drove away, and I got sucked in, reading the first 12 pages in one whoosh before I realized I'd done it. :) I'm beginning to understand the wicked fast reading times I've seen quoted on this board.

While I like other books in the series better, the beginning of Fool Moon is still among my favorite passages.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
While I like other books in the series better, the beginning of Fool Moon is still among my favorite passages.
Although for an opening line, nothing beats "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline ResultsAtypical

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:03 AM »
I discovered the books when the paper ran an article about Jim and this new series that was going to be on tv based on his books.  The premise sounded intriguing, so I went and bought the first book to check it out... then bought the second, and the third and fourth... and then gave up and just ordered the rest on amazon.  Because they're paperbacks, and therefore affordable, I said (do not trouble me with pesky cumulative totals!).  Oh, look, there's a new one coming out in hardcover, I said.  Hardcover's more pricey, and less portable, so I'll just wait 'till it's out in paperback, I said.  I'm almost through Proven Guilty now, and somewhere between starting PG and Tuesday, my sensible resolve to wait turned into "What do you mean no bookstores in Canada have it yet?  Noooooooo!!!!!!!!"  Sigh. (I have my copy now, all set for the long weekend.  Or at least part of the Friday of the long weekend.)

Anyway, somewhere in the middle of book two the series started on tv, so I've kind of discovered both the book and tv-verses simultaneously.  So basically, I can spot the differences between the book and tv versions, but I'm not quite invested enough to get annoyed by the differences (yet?).  I do find that, while I like the show, it's the books that I tend to recommend to people - especially people I know who've seen the show and haven't read the books! 

"I never imagined losing my mind was going to be such hard work!"
-- Prior Walter, Angels in America

Offline Jen71802

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »
Welcome. I'm just curious as to the numbers of board members who "found Jim" because of the TV show.

That would be me!  Actually didn't even see a commercial for the show.  I read a blurb about it in my satellite tv guide.  Saw the show and loved it.  Then noticed that it was based on a series of books.  I promptly ordered Storm Front.  Loved the book!  DH ordered the rest of the series for me and i'm just waiting to get the new book.  I just finished reading Fool Moon and I'm going to space out my reading of the series b/c I'll be really bummed when I get to the last book!  So I want to make them last as long as possible ;-)

Offline DungeonDragon18

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »
I heard about the show first, but I read the books first, if that makes sense. What happened was, I saw previews for the show, and I mentioned to my friend Maxine that it looked interesting. Turns out she was a huge fan of the Dresden Files already, so she insisted that I read the books as well as watch the show. Turns out I didn't like the show all that much, but I immediately fell in love with the books. I'm currently trying to get ahold of White Night.