Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
498 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 676

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 238426 times)

Offline Valorclast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »
the previews for the show looked fantastic and I needed good books to read when I got mind-numb from reading my history text-books. I shot off to Borders and had to return twice more before they had Storm Front. When they did, I promptly bought the first three ;D now I'm almost done with #8... I'm so very glad SciFi advertised like crazy, how would I ahve otherwise found some of the most enjoyable books I've ever read?

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing.
Holding on to what I'm feeling,
Savoring this heart that's healing.

~~~
Valorclast of the Blackthorne's

Offline monster ma x 3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »
I've also answered this under a different topic, so apologies for the repeat.  My husband noticed during the 3rd episode that the show was based on "the novels of Jim Butcher,"  so I checked the library on my next visit...and totally messed up!  I picked up what I now know to be the 8th book, and read it first.  The copy was missing the page with the book list, so...  Anyway I've read # 1, and decided I couldn't wait for the other really slow people to finish # 2 and picked it up last night.  My husband is laughing pretty hard, for now.  But he is somewhat concerned about what's going to happen once I've read them all and am forced to wait for the next.  Apparently, I don't handle suspense well over extended periods of time.  Anyway, all of that was to say that I have really enjoyed what I've read so far, and have recommended the series to a few friends.  Not quite sure how I feel about not being "cool" anymore, but I guess it's relative.  I'm strong, I'll overcome!

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »
I checked the library on my next visit...and totally messed up!  I picked up what I now know to be the 8th book, and read it first.

Here's a question - why do publishers stop putting "Book #__" on books in a series after a while? I was looking at Jim's books at my local Borders, and SF says "Book 1 of The Dresden Files," FM says "Book 2...", but after a few volumes, it just says, "A book of The Dresden Files" or something like that, which leads to confusion if you don't have access to a list. (I read the 7th book of P.N. Elrod's Vampire Files first, because I didn't know any better.)

I've noticed They do this with quite a few series. Any thoughts?
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 06:45:28 AM »
I noticed that too and being as i'm reading them all for the first time I have to always look somewhere to see what order whats in.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
I noticed that too and being as i'm reading them all for the first time I have to always look somewhere to see what order whats in.

With Piers Anthony's Xanth series, I got in the habit of checking publication dates - which didn't help when he published more than one the same year. :P
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline gknee

• Participant
  • My feet are wet and I can see the pyramids
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »
Yes I'm another one of the uncool.  :) But I saw the How did you all get into the Dresden Files? thread first and replied there. http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,113.240.html
- "You are, I take it, Harry Dresden?" "If I'm not, he's going to be upset with me when he catches me running around in his underpants".

- "I'd hate to find out that the universe really wasn't conspiring against me. It would jerk the rug out from under my persecution complex".

Offline Dread Pirate Sayessa

• Posty McPostington
  • Did the cow creamer tell you that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »
I checked the library on my next visit...and totally messed up!  I picked up what I now know to be the 8th book, and read it first.

Here's a question - why do publishers stop putting "Book #__" on books in a series after a while? I was looking at Jim's books at my local Borders, and SF says "Book 1 of The Dresden Files," FM says "Book 2...", but after a few volumes, it just says, "A book of The Dresden Files" or something like that, which leads to confusion if you don't have access to a list. (I read the 7th book of P.N. Elrod's Vampire Files first, because I didn't know any better.)

I've noticed They do this with quite a few series. Any thoughts?

I think they do it so people won't go "oh, book #8?  There's no way I'm going to read this because I won't know what's going on, and I don't feel like looking for books #1-7"

A lot of times I do that when I see book 2 of a trilogy and they don't have book 1.  In fact, right now I'm trying to find "Bloodsucking Fiends" so I can read "You Suck," both by Christopher Moore. ;D
I ATE'NT DEAD

I still think 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit is "wintertime"
Thanks, SoCal.

Offline Nanite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
Yep I'm uncool, but what else is new..... I usually like to try and wait for a series to be finished before I start it, as I avoid that nasty "Is it out yet? Is it out yet?!?!?!?!?" syndrome we all know and hate :). Plus I always get paranoid that the author will get hit by a freak meteor or something, and I'll be left with a bunch of unresolved questions.... However since I was watching the TV show, I figured I may as well read the books, so here I am. It's kind of strange that I hadn't heard of Jim before the TV series as I do read a lot, dunno how I missed him.

Offline Lady Geektastic

• Conversationalist
  • Me. In make-up and sepia.
    • View Profile
    • Random Acts of Cod
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 11:39:16 PM »
I've also answered this under a different topic, so apologies for the repeat.  My husband noticed during the 3rd episode that the show was based on "the novels of Jim Butcher,"  so I checked the library on my next visit...and totally messed up!  I picked up what I now know to be the 8th book, and read it first.  The copy was missing the page with the book list, so...  Anyway I've read # 1, and decided I couldn't wait for the other really slow people to finish # 2 and picked it up last night.  My husband is laughing pretty hard, for now.  But he is somewhat concerned about what's going to happen once I've read them all and am forced to wait for the next.   Apparently, I don't handle suspense well over extended periods of time.  Anyway, all of that was to say that I have really enjoyed what I've read so far, and have recommended the series to a few friends.  Not quite sure how I feel about not being "cool" anymore, but I guess it's relative.  I'm strong, I'll overcome!

He's right to worry. Trust me, the moment White Night hits the shelves, this board will be flooded with fans bemoaning the long, loooong wait to the next fix. We are full blown addicts, and I predict you'll find that you've got it just as bad as we do. You learn to ease the withdrawl in any way you can. Many thanks to Robert Wolfe for giving us all a weekly booster shot. Then there's rereading, scanning each and every page for quotes to post on the boards (you run out of post-its really fast), you also find yourself debating, speculating, analyzing, comparing, contrasting, fan-arting and (*gasp!*) shipping! for any point in the books that you can get your fan-girl/boyish hands on. Before you know it you'll be hunting down a prop skull, suggesting Dresden Merch. (magic 8-Bob!), designing t-shirts and speaking the language of Dresden in public, only to discover that the mundane people surrounding you don't have a clue what you're talking about, to which you will respond (under your breath):

"Hells holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

*bows* Thank you, thank you.

A portrait of the average Dresdenite (name of group still under debate).
Some people are like slinkies. They're basically useless, yet you still can't help but smile as you shove them down the stairs.

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 01:08:24 AM »
It came! It came!!! I'm sorry, but I had to post my excitement somewhere! The last book of the published series so far finally came in the mail today!!!!
(By the way, don't ever buy books from an independent seller on Amazon to ship to Alaska unless you want to wait a month for them to come)
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline Baelmyrrdn

• Conversationalist
  • *Beaudacious and Templar-mental*
    • View Profile
    • Chivalry for Children
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »
Actually, I found the books on a friend's recommendation.  I didn't even know there was a series until after I read Storm Front.   (I don't watch TV much as a rule...) ::)
Traveler there is no trail, you blaze the trail as you travel." ~ Xochitl Garza

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 04:18:21 AM »
I got into a book discusion with this crazy tattooed hippy guy from my comic book shop and he mention the Dresden Files. I went right to Barnes & Noble but the first thing I found with Jim Butcher on th spine must have been from Codex Alera and I really didn't want sword and horse fantasy at the time.

As some one said on the first page I watched a couple of eipsodes of the show before I saw the "based on..."  at the end and then I went out and picked up Proven Guilty. It was the only thing I could find at the time. Now I've got all the books that are currentlly out and I love them. I'm about 2/3 of the way though Blood Rites at the moment.

Offline Louped In

• Lurker
  • Patented Monacle Craze
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 09:31:13 PM »
I was very interested in watching the show, and then I saw a commercial that said it was "based on the series by Jim Butcher". So I ran out and bought Storm Front and Fool Moon. I was hooked, and bought more.

I was surprised by all the differences, though, but still found them to be good reads.

Offline porterbl1

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »
I got really excited when I saw the previews for the show. I started watching from the first show on. I went to IMDB to get a little more information, and found out it was based on the books. Yea!! I checked at my library and they only had Dead Beat and Proven Guilty. I went ahead and read Dead Beat and fell in love. So I ordered the first four on Amazon. I finished those in about a week, so yesterday I went to BAM and bought Death Masks.

Now I just have to finish all the current ones in the next 23 days. I do not want to get done too soon, because the wait will kill me. I am scared of what will happen when I have to wait for the next one.

I am so glad to have found you all....
-Becca
-Becca

Check out my blog:
http://porterhouse.typepad.com/

Offline Trextor

• Lurker
  • "spideys my Hero"!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 04:48:53 AM »
no I was in a local book store looking for something new to read, seen "Storm Front" and knew it was the book series for me. I've been a avid reader since I was 12.
speed reading through tons of books mostly sifi and fantasy. Jim Butcher is a fine Author who ranks up there with the greats. Keep them coming Jim! bravo!! ;D