Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169500 times)

Offline Craftzero

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
I have one that I'm looking for any opinions on. 

Strategist of the Gods [-1]

Description: During battle, you connect to your allies on an almost telepathic level.  Under your guidance their actions are like that of a well-oiled fighting machine, flowing from one enemy to another.

Musts: Must have a supernatural high concept related to tactics, battles, or war (i.e., "Son of Ares").

Effect: During combat - and without their input - you may direct the actions of allies.  This directed action must be described simply and within their abilities (attack that foe, grapple the large one, trip the fast enemy, etc).  Your allies need not follow this action, but if they do they are given the temporary aspect of "Guided by (Player Name)".  This aspect may be tagged for free once during the combat; but subsequent uses require the use of a Fate Point.  This aspect will be removed if you move out of range of the tactician (greater than 2 zones away).

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2010, 02:23:35 AM »
I enjoy crossover ideas and thought I'd throw this out for a quick balance check.

Staff of the Word(-3)
Item of Power given to Knights of the Word by the Lady of the Lake.
Gives
Sponsored Evocation as per the ability Evocation
Sponsor requires that the user be on a mission for full effect.
+1 to lore, discipline, conviction while casting.(In reparation for no item slots.)
Can be tagged as sponsored 2 times per scene, 3 times max per session.

Is part of the Knight of the Word Class which requires
Emissary of Power(-1)
Gives +1 to all rolls versus demons while on a mission.
The Sight(Limited)(-1)
Modified Cassandra's Tears(-0)
-Apocalyptic Dreams showing Consequences of failure.

For Reference this comes from Terry Brooks the Word and the Void Series.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »
I would like to make a power representing the advantages of an amorphous form like that of an ooze. It would offer the ability to squeeze through small spaces, a bonus to grappling, an immunity to being grappled except under special circumstances, and maybe an upgrade giving a one zone range to melee attacks.

I will probably give it two levels, with the first being Reed Richards/Monkey D Luffy stuff and the second being Ooze Monster/Commodore Smoker stuff.

I would like to know if anybody has any suggestions for other trappings, or for how much this should cost.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
[-3] Amorphous Form
      Adaptive Form: Your form quickly adapts to physical combat. At the beginning of the exchange you may choose to have either +3 to grappling
      or +3 to defense vs grappling, but not both.
      Dude, that's Gross: Let's face it; having a ooze-like body is not the best thing for charming the ladies or staying undercover. Depending on the
      exact mechanics of your amorphous form, pick 3 social or stealth-related skills. You have a -1 to those skills, except with shapeshifters or other amorphous beings.
      No hole too small: You can pass through almost any crack that most other beings could not. You may ignore barriers that aren't sealed and you can crawl
      across any surface that isn't completely smooth.
      No internal Anatomy: You lack internal anatomy, or you can repair/rearrange your anatomy die to being amorphous or otherwise you lack the drawbacks
      of internal organs. As such, you might not care about a perforated lung or three; reduce extra stress from extra shifts in enemy attack rolls by 2.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Not bad, but there are a few things I would change. First, I would add a trapping with a cost of -1 that allowed you to make melee attacks against targets a zone away. Second, I would change the way it works with grappling, since you will almost never both grapple and defend against grappling in the same exchange and since +3 to grappling is an awful lot. Thirdly, I would reduce the cost of the power and make everything except No Hole Too Small an optional trapping. Fourthly, I would ditch Dude, That's Gross or offer it at a negative cost with a stipulation that it couldn't be hidden. Otherwise you can just take Human Guise.

Despite my laundry list of complaints, that was well done. I'm just picky.

I'll put up a modified version of this power soon, with my own whining taken into account.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
could the aspect from Strategist of the gods be used in/for spell casting? for gathering power? for controlling? for aiming? because i could see a group of wizards walking around on a battlefield operating like a artillery squad basically using that to help do one or two exchange thaumaturgy spells like a group of soldiers loading and firing a howitzer.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2010, 01:18:50 AM »
Amorphous Form [-1]

Your body isn't solid the way one would expect. It's made of either a stretchy, rubberlike substance or an out and out liquid.

No Hole Too Small: You can squeeze underneath a door if need be. You may ignore all barriers that aren't sealed.
Difficult To Grab: Your body isn't easy to hold. You get +2 to all attempts to avoid or escape a grapple.
No Internal Anatomy: [-1] You don't have the easily damaged organs that most people rely on. You have armour 2 against all attacks that rely on precision or piercing damage.
Living Rope:[-1] You can literally wrap your body around someone. It's quite helpful when wrestling. You get +1 to all rolls made to grapple or escape a grapple.
Long Reach:[-1] Your arms stretch. You may make melee attacks against targets up to a zone away.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2010, 03:42:11 AM »
The lord is my Shepard [-1]

Description: Due to your deep held beliefs in your faith and in a higher being your mind is shielded from those who wish to do you mental harm

Musts: Must have a supernatural high concept related to faith (i.e "mortal child of a Celestine", High Shaman of Mother Earth etc").

Effect: As long as you have been true to the tenants of your belief system use Conviction +2 to ward off mental attacks/stress. In addition gain 1 mental armor.  At the GM discretion, Glamors, illusion's and the like that affect the mind can also use this power.

Thoughts?
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2010, 05:17:06 AM »
The lord is my Shepard [-1]

Description: Due to your deep held beliefs in your faith and in a higher being your mind is shielded from those who wish to do you mental harm

Musts: Must have a supernatural high concept related to faith (i.e "mortal child of a Celestine", High Shaman of Mother Earth etc").

Effect: As long as you have been true to the tenants of your belief system use Conviction +2 to ward off mental attacks/stress. In addition gain 1 mental armor.  At the GM discretion, Glamors, illusion's and the like that affect the mind can also use this power.

Thoughts?

that sounds like 2 stunts in one to me.

The mitigating factor of sticking to faith isn't a restriction regards to characters of True Faiuth because it is usually understood that if they violate the tenant they honestly believe, they loose all their powers. If you bump it up to -2, then it would be more inline as a sort of mental version of inhuman toughness.

that's my take on it at least.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
Landantheon is right when he says that it's two stunts in one and when he says that it is not being a real drawback to need to stick to your beliefs, but given that powers are generally stronger than stunts I think that this is fine at [-1]. It won't break any games, and it does a good job of representing the incorruptibility of the truly faithful.

Of course, all of this is founded upon the idea that mental attacks and stress will be rare. It's obviously a whole different situation if they show up all the time.

PS: There already is a mental version of Inhuman Toughness. Look here: http://www.vinlandsolutions.site11.com/Products/DFRPG/SamplePowers/InhumanStoicism.html

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Got a couple powers and a couple modifications to the Incite Emotion power here. I've used all of these before (to make characters, not in actual play), and I think I ought to put them here.

Gambler [-1]
Description: You have the ability to manipulate probability in a limited way. But it's far from risk free; in fact, the risk is the reason that it works.
Effect: At any time you may pay any number of fate points to make a bet with the GM. If the GM rejects the bet, you get your fate point(s) back. If he accepts and you win, you get back twice the number of fate points that you paid. Some GMs may allow odds other  than double or nothing, but they are in no way obliged to.

Fomor Magic [-0]
Description: You're a Fomor, not a human. Your magic reflects that.
Effect: Your magic is never impeded or removed by the presence of running water. Instead, you suffer penalties when casting magic in areas that lack water almost entirely, like deserts or indoor areas without running water.

Incite Emotion trappings:
Emotion Burst [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may take a -2 penalty to your roll in order to have Incite Emotion affect everyone in a zone.
At Long Range [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may use Incite Emotion on a target up to three zones away

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2010, 03:45:12 AM »

Incite Emotion trappings:
Emotion Burst [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may take a -2 penalty to your roll in order to have Incite Emotion affect everyone in a zone.
At Long Range [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may use Incite Emotion on a target up to three zones away

Perfect!  I needed those.  Thanks!
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »
Quick Shifting [-1]. You can modify your form pool as a supplemental action instead of a full action (see Supplemental Actions, p 213).  Musts: Modular Abilities.

Should this be -1 or -2? Edit: Considering that 1 point of Refresh is enough to buy a stunt that can "Reduce the amount of time necessary to complete a particular task by two steps," perhaps leaving it at [-1] is perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:56:48 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
Faith Healing [-2]
Musts: You must have taken the Guide My Hand and Righteousness powers in order to take this ability.
You may use your Conviction skill to declare justification for your own or another character’s recovery from moderate or severe consequences of any type, even without access to proper facilities, given time to pray and (for another character) lay hands upon the character in question. In addition, you may spend a Fate Point to allow another character to heal from a Consequence as though it were one level lower in severity. So, the subject would recover from moderate consequences as though they were mild, etc. Consequences reduced below mild are always removed by the beginning of a subsequent scene.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:43:13 AM by HobbitGuy1420 »