Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 170961 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »
I don't think that casting from your physical track needs to cost anything. The vast majority of the time, it's going to be worse than casting from your mental track since you are more likely to take physical damage from other sources and since casters generally have high conviction with unexeptional endurance. However, it could be quite broken with Toughness powers. The solution? It automatically satisfies all catches. It will be pretty good with Hulking Size, but probably not too good.

The Witcher's potions look fine to me, although you should probably clarify the need for medical attention. How long do you have? How difficult is it to clean the blood? What facilities are needed? Can you clean your own blood?

Tbora

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »
Can someone report this topic for moving to the Resources Board, apparently I can't report myself ;)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:38 AM »
I don't think that casting from your physical track needs to cost anything. The vast majority of the time, it's going to be worse than casting from your mental track since you are more likely to take physical damage from other sources and since casters generally have high conviction with unexeptional endurance. However, it could be quite broken with Toughness powers. The solution? It automatically satisfies all catches. It will be pretty good with Hulking Size, but probably not too good.

The Witcher's potions look fine to me, although you should probably clarify the need for medical attention. How long do you have? How difficult is it to clean the blood? What facilities are needed? Can you clean your own blood?

You have about 4 hours before you die. As far as cleaning, you need dialysis if it is an over-dose, or just time if you haven't had too many.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 01:12:55 AM »
But how would you represent this?

Would it inflict a consequence moving up the ladder for every scene where you do not get your treatment?

Or maybe using them gives a temp hunger track?

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »
YaHa, this thead is the sort i was trying to save.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
But how would you represent this?

Would it inflict a consequence moving up the ladder for every scene where you do not get your treatment?

Or maybe using them gives a temp hunger track?

Did you not read the power? It says in there that you have a 'hunger' track (The Toxcity Bar), solely for the elixers. You go over, then it is like being poisoned by Venomous Claws. You get consequences, and once you are taken out, you only have a short time to live.

So, would you guys rule it as a -2 or -3? It has its perks (doing some pretty expensive potion effects quite well) and its downsides (it'll kill you if you use too many). It needs to be related to an Aspect that shows you are resistant to the herbs used, otherwise you'd just die.

Lore and/or Survival would be used for making them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:38:26 PM by MijRai »

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I'd call it a -3 considering a wizard would need to spend a good bit of time making the same potions, but in the end its really the GM's call.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
About the potion power, what about creatures that are simply immortal (physical immunity) or would not be subject to poisons? (such as living dead). Can they drink your potions and take benefits without having that power?
I suggest that, without the power to adapt to the potions, the potions not only kill you but also have no benefit; it is your body's adaptation that produces the effect.

Also, no potions for clearing mental stress please. Especially since the character would be casting spells with mental stress cost. Effectively you'd be trading one "Toxicity" box for three spells cast.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »
About the potion power, what about creatures that are simply immortal (physical immunity) or would not be subject to poisons? (such as living dead). Can they drink your potions and take benefits without having that power?
I suggest that, without the power to adapt to the potions, the potions not only kill you but also have no benefit; it is your body's adaptation that produces the effect.

Also, no potions for clearing mental stress please. Especially since the character would be casting spells with mental stress cost. Effectively you'd be trading one "Toxicity" box for three spells cast.

The power states only those with the power get the benefits, since they are slightly immune, which comes partly from constant exposure. While someone with Physical Immunity wouldn't die from it, they might still get sick as a dog (Nicodemus puking his guts out and peeing blood would be a good situation :) ). And Living Dead don't have digestive systems, they aren't getting any benefits from it.

I understand the no Mental Stress recuperation. I'll make Tawny Owl provide a temporary Athletics boost.

Tbora, it might be harder for a wizard to make some of these potions, but:
1. They can't be shared (unless the recipient has the same power).
2. They can't be over-used (on penalty of death/hospitalization).
3. It gives no other kind of Power. You can't spend a single Refresh to turn it into full Thaumaturgy. It is stand-alone.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
Why would someone with physical immunity be puking their guts out? There's immunity of the "I heal instantly" variety, of the "negative effects pass through me" variety and of the "made of iron" variety.
Poison only does 1 stress per exchange at most. Even those with the instant healing variety would scrub the stress before it could turn to consequences. The other two varieties would not even feel it.

Only those that can be harmed normally but not die (limited physical immunity) would suffer.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
Why would someone with physical immunity be puking their guts out? There's immunity of the "I heal instantly" variety, of the "negative effects pass through me" variety and of the "made of iron" variety.
Poison only does 1 stress per exchange at most. Even those with the instant healing variety would scrub the stress before it could turn to consequences. The other two varieties would not even feel it.

Only those that can be harmed normally but not die (limited physical immunity) would suffer.

What have you looked at that poison only does one stress? The Venomous Claws is a poison attack that does damage over what the target rolls for an endurance defense. If I fill up my toxcity bar, that would be an equivalent of a 6 shift poison attack against my endurance. I lose, soon enough.

Also, why the hell would something with Physical Immunity be drinking my potions? They aren't going to be getting much more out of them if they are immune to harm. And, just to make it simple, if they are immune to being harmed by them, they are immune to getting benefits from them as well. They pass the good parts of the elicers through as fast as the bad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 02:41:12 AM »
Mind Meld [-1]
Description: You have the ability to possess someone in a benevolent way. Having you in one's head is a good thing, since you can help but not exert control.
Musts: You need some way to become insubstantial in order to enter the target's body.
Effects: When someone is possessed by you, they gain the full effect of any powers or stunts you have. What's more, they may use your skills instead of their own.
Co-Pilot [-1]: The person possessed by you gains the effects of the Demonic Co-Pilot power with you as the demon.

Is this reasonable?

Tbora

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
Seems fine to me, as truthfully it seems mostly flavor then anything then an actual "power".

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
i am going to try and compile a master list if everyone would please post below this one the powers they think are balanced i will add them to the list once we get a few

Tbora

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »
I'll do the master list - there are few enough powers listed that I can just move them to the first post.