Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169524 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
Someone's posted a stunt above already I believe that covers that...Weapon Master...it's a specialization stunt where you get a bonus for your weapon of choice.

Tbora

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »
Someone's posted a stunt above already I believe that covers that...Weapon Master...it's a specialization stunt where you get a bonus for your weapon of choice.

Um that was me, I was asking for a mod to my stunt as it is apparently too strong currently, the problem with it it apparently as it is a bonus to your weapon skill in general so long as you are using it is too broad, my need for it is when he is actually in combat with it.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 12:10:38 AM »
If you read through the section over how to make stunts, you will see that the problem isn't that its too broad, but that it gives a +2 to an attack trapping of a skill.  A +1 to attack rolls when using your mastered weapon is much more valid.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:19 AM »
How would I limit it to fighting specifically with the weapon type, not just for stuff weapon rolls in general?

If I am following your querry correctly, then model it after Way of the Bow under Guns, which enables you to use Guns for bows and Craftsmanship for bows, and provides a +1 damage with bows.  My point is, outline it for a specific weapon category (Swords, Clubs, Axes, Chains, Vacuum cleaners, Hats...although we already had a thread on that one), keep the bonus to +1, and I think you'll be alright.  I don't have my books in front of me to verify this, however.  Gimme a sec to check...yeah, that's pretty much how it's meant to work.  It does say under limited circumstances (their example is their Guns stunt where you're also outnumbered, but if you limited it to a very specific weapon...long sword, instead of just swords, for example...that might cut the mustard...heh...more pun damage).  Alternatively, if you want a bigger boost (+2 with a broad category, for example), you could validate it via the expenditure of a fate point, ala Killing Blow.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 12:55:40 AM »
Unthinkable Size [-4] As Hulking Size, but all effects, positive and negative, are doubled. This applies for creatures larger than whales (Fenrir, Godzilla, Typhon...)

Offline Fandraen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 01:17:11 AM »
Inhuman/Supernatural/Mythic Stoicism; Mental Immunity [-2/-4/-6/-8]

As the corresponding Toughness powers, but applying to the mental stress track and mental damage.

Intended *mostly* for NPC use: Outsiders (because their minds just don't work the same way), powerful fae, very old wizards actually seriously trained in mental defenses, etc. Because a PC with the entire Incite Emotion tree can just blow through your NPCs in one round without something like this, and if it's not human, Lawbreaker isn't going to act as much of a story-based brake.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
If I am following your querry correctly, then model it after Way of the Bow under Guns, which enables you to use Guns for bows and Craftsmanship for bows, and provides a +1 damage with bows.  My point is, outline it for a specific weapon category (Swords, Clubs, Axes, Chains, Vacuum cleaners, Hats...although we already had a thread on that one), keep the bonus to +1, and I think you'll be alright.  I don't have my books in front of me to verify this, however.  Gimme a sec to check...yeah, that's pretty much how it's meant to work.  It does say under limited circumstances (their example is their Guns stunt where you're also outnumbered, but if you limited it to a very specific weapon...long sword, instead of just swords, for example...that might cut the mustard...heh...more pun damage).  Alternatively, if you want a bigger boost (+2 with a broad category, for example), you could validate it via the expenditure of a fate point, ala Killing Blow.

As has been said a few times on this forum, a disadvantage that isn't a disadvantage isn't worth anything. Limiting the character to only one weapon isn't a disadvantage if he takes it everywhere with him and the only way he'd lose it is if the GM takes his weapon away... which just isn't at all fun. A better version would be something like duellist - 'you get +1 to your attack roll when your opponent has a similar weapon' which limits you to the opponent you fight and is quite flavorful. It doesn't stop you from carrying around a sword, an axe and a knife though :) Or perhaps knife fighter - 'you get +1 to your attack roll whenever your weapon is weapon:1'. This is also flavourful and again, there is a clear disadvantage, you aren't as accurate when you use larger weapons.

Vultur - I like! Simple but effective :)

Fandraen - Well it makes sense but I know it's a controversial subject. It will require a catch, probably an emotional catch like 'fear' or 'lust', something which could actually be abused. I'd also say that it should automatically have the extra catch of 'self-inflicted' so that wizards can't abuse this massively. That does reduce it's utility a lot though.

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
I'd also say that it should automatically have the extra catch of 'self-inflicted' so that wizards can't abuse this massively. That does reduce it's utility a lot though.

I'm pretty sure in YS it already mentions that no form of mental defenses work against self-inflicted damage (I think its somewhere in the Spellcasting section, but I don't have my books in front of me)
DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
Indeed, hence the 'automatically', I merely meant that this fact shouldn't be overlooked for those that are thinking about taking this power. Still you're right that I didn't make that clear enough so thanks.

Offline Fandraen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Both good points to be clearer on, thanks. We'd already been taking them into account, but putting them explicitly into the power description is probably wise.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2010, 05:22:20 AM »
I'm reworking my Telepathy power, taking into account some of the things pointed out in this thread, but I finished up a Telekinesis power that I'm pretty happy with. Nothing to fancy or complicated, but I think it gets the job done.

Telekinesis [-2]

Description: Not all is magic and mysticism, the human body holds many wonderful secrets of its own. Your secret is the ability to move objects with the power of your thoughts. Regardless of the specifics of your power's source (evolution, chemistry, mutation, technology, etc) magic is not it. Your ability is "natural" and doesn't cause repercussions from the Laws of Magic, although those know as "wardens" generally don't take the time to ask questions if they think you have broken one of the "laws".

Musts: A template or aspect related to your status as a telekinetic is required.

Skills Affected: Conviction (page YS:124) and Discipline (page YS:127)

Effects:

• Mind Over Matter. Why use muscles when your brain can do the heavy lifting. Might is replaced by Conviction for the purposes of lifting things with your mind. When attempting to throw an object or make a direct kinetic attack with this ability, Discipline replaces Weapons and Fists respectively.
  • Thoughts Take Flight [-1]. You may not have wings, but that doesn't mean you can't fly. Many kinds of borders (page YS:212) are reduced or eliminated and you are able to travel through zones (page YS:197) vertically. The Discipline skill is used to govern flight in the same way that Athletics is used for running.
  • Kinetic Defense [-2]. Your telekinetic power is great, manifesting in a persistent shield around you granting Armor:1 against physical attacks. When performing a Full Defense (page YS:199) this bonus becomes Armor:2.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »
Inhuman/Supernatural/Mythic Stoicism; Mental Immunity [-2/-4/-6/-8]

As the corresponding Toughness powers, but applying to the mental stress track and mental damage.

Since it is in the vein of what I'm working on, went ahead and wrote out the three Stoicism powers.

I'm wondering though, how should the Catches be handled?

Say we have this:

Tom the Catched

Physical Immunity [-8], Stacked Catch (Silver) [+3]
Mental Immunity [-8], Stacked Catch (Magic) [+2]

Mythic Toughness [-6], Catch (Vampires) [+2]
Mythic Stoicism [-6],  Catch (All Fear) [+4]

Actual catch values aside, I'm guessing that the Stoicism Catch would grant the discount since it is the highest value catch and the Toughness catch refund would be ignored. But how would the Stacked Catches be applied? I'm inclined to say that both Stacked Catches would apply their bonus to their respective Immunity powers. Does that sound right or would the Physical Immunity bonus be applied and the Mental Immunity bonus ignored?

Inhuman Stoicism [-2]

Description: Your mind is abnormally stout, withstanding far more abuse then the average human.

Musts: No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).

Skills Affected: Conviction (page YS:124), other mental skills.

Effects:

• Hard to Twist. You naturally have Armor:1 against all mental stress.
  • Hard to Break. You have two additional boxes of mental stress capacity.

Supernatural Stoicism [–4]

Description: Your mind can handle trauma that would normally destroy a person.

Musts: This ability replaces Inhuman Stoicism. No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).

Effects:

• Harder to Twist. You naturally have Armor:2 against all mental stress.
  • Harder to Break. You have four additional boxes of mental stress capacity.

Mythic Stoicism [–6]

Description: The durability of your mind is beyond the mortal scale.

Musts: You must have permission to purchase this ability. This ability replaces Inhuman or Supernatural Stoicism. No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).

Effects:

• Nearly Impossible to Twist. You naturally have Armor:3 against all mental stress.
  • Nearly Impossible to Break. You have six additional boxes of mental stress capacity.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:54 AM »
    Impossible Jumps [-?]

Description: Gravity doesn't seem to apply to you the way it does to normal people. You can jump like a video game character when you want to.

Skills Affected: Athletics

Effects:

• Superhuman Leap. You get +4 to all athletics rolls made to jump.
    • Limited Antigravity. You are completely immune to falling damage. You never need a running start to jump properly.
    • Double Jump [-?]. You can jump off of empty air. When rolling for jump distance, you may roll twice and add the results. When jumping during a conflict, you can remain in midair for a full exchange. Furthermore, you can dodge normally in midair.
    • Goomba Stomp [-?]. You can hurt someone pretty badly by jumping on them. You can use your athletics skill to attack in melee. If combined with double jump, you may skip an action in order to remain in midair for an exchange and reroll the attack.

I’m not really sure how to cost all this. Apart from Goomba Stomp, this is less useful then wings. And wings is a 1 refresh power. I’m open to advice if anyone has any.

Hyperspace Arsenal [-2]

Description: You seem to be able to fit an entire warehouse in your pockets. No-one’s really sure where stuff goes when you’re not using it.

Skills Affected: Might

Effects:

• Hammerspace. You can carry a full load (as determined by your might) without hindrance in an extradimensional compartment. The compartment exists outside time, so everything in it stays exactly as it was when it was put in.
    • Improved Hammerspace [-2]. You can carry much more than a full load in your extradimensional compartment. Add 8 to your might to determine the capacity of your compartment.
    • Secure Hammerspace [-1]. Nobody but you can access your extradimensional compartment. Metal in it doesn’t trigger metal detectors and so on. If you are unconscious or dead, the compartment cannot be opened at all.

Special Techniques [-varies]

Description: Supernatural martial arts moves, more or less. A staple of any decent fighting manga.

Skills Affected: Fists, Weapons, Guns

Effect:
    Special Techniques.  When you take this power, choose fists, weapons, or guns.  Then pick a number of techniques from the technique list equal to the number of refresh points you spent on this power. Whenever you make an attack with the chosen skill, you may spend a fate point to add the effects of one of your chosen techniques to the attack.
    Technique List
    • Long Range Strike. The range of this attack is increased by 2 zones. (This works for melee attacks).
    • Armor Piercing Strike. This attack ignores all of the target’s armor.
    • Area Strike. This attack hits everyone in the target zone (except yourself).
    • Rapid Strike. You can make a number of attacks up to your skill with one action. Each attack suffers a penalty equal to the number of extra attacks made.
    • Brutal Strike.  The attack suffers a -1 penalty but inflicts 5 extra stress.

I’m not certain whether these are balanced. Any thoughts?
    [/list]

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • "For my next trick, anvils."
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
    Okay, I wanted to work out the Witcher's Signs and elixers from the Witcher. Channeling covers the Signs pretty well (except for Igni, but oh well), but I wanted a way to work out the Elixers. Ritual potions doesn't cover it, since the cost and such is too high for something that has little benefit for what a Witcher's Elixers do. My idea goes like this:
    Make it -2 or -3 Refresh.
    Taking it gives you a Toxicity Bar (like Hunger), maybe with five 'stress', or one based on Endurance.
    Drinking a potion will mark out a certain amount of the 'stress' (depending on the potion).
    If you go over the limit, you need to head to the doctor and get your blood cleaned soon, or you'll die.
    Only you or another with the ability can use them (resistance to the toxicity normal people don't have). Others using them don't get any benefits, just the 'go to the doctor or you die' part.
    You can still fight and such after the 'overdose' for lack of a better term, but you still need medical treatment.
    Other then getting your blood cleaned, make the 'stress' clear out once a session, the body naturally removing the toxins.
    Making the potion should take a night, but having one on hand would cost a fate point. Very strong alcohol is the base, along with herbs and such (gather or raise with Survival or something).
    Here are some potions, based off of ones in the game;

Swallow: Heal one physical stress per exchange for three exchanges, one 'stress'
    Tawny Owl: Heal one mental stress per exchange for three exchanges, one 'stress'
    Black Blood: Enemy feeding on your blood is poisoned, three 'stress'
    Blizzard: Raises Initiative by two for one scene, one 'stress'
    Golden Oriole: Cures poison, such as from Venomous Claws, two 'stress'
    Wives' Tears: Cures any intoxication, one 'stress'
    Thunderbolt: +1 to Weapons Skill for attack, -1 to all Defense rolls for 3 exchanges, two 'stress'

Basically, they're all minor poisons that have greater benefits to you. Please help me vett this.
    Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
    I am thinking of a blood magic type deal ala Dragon Age Origins where you can cast out of your physical stress track - how would you value such a thing in terms of refresh?