Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 170952 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #705 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »
Teleportation [-3]
You can teleport from one space to another.
Unfettered Movement: This allows you to ignore all penalties and blocks against movement. 
[+1] Sight Affirmed Teleportation : Visual barriers count as a barrier against movement with teleportation.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
How did you price that?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 29, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
Physical Immunity to Movement Restriction, so 8 - 5(only vs movement restrictions).   
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 30, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »
Interesting approach...

Edit: Why only -5?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2012, 05:11:54 AM »
The effect of this power needs to be made clearer. Is the distance I can teleport limited by a sprint roll? If I'm moving upwards, is it a climbing or jumping roll? Does this negate grapples?

Also, I have no idea what Physical Immunity has to do with this.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:42 AM »
I just think he meant for it to be represented by being immune to zone borders and movement restrictions. And no, I don't really think that works, but I thought it was an interesting approach.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
The distance you can travel is still limited by your sprint distance, but otherwise not limited at all, meaning a character can move in any direction (down, up, through a brick wall, out of a cage etc) so you can move completely freely within you sprint range regardless of what might physical impeded doing so. The power would nullify the movement part of a grapple so you could still move around freely whilst being blocked on any other type of action. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:14:52 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
I think this is a power worth exploring.  I feel only teleporting as far as a sprint roll can take you feels a littel short to me.  I'm not sure how to make it farther without effecting balance.  Just giving first impressions.

I think the costing method was genius.

Do speed powers effect sprinting distance for purposes of teleporting?

I think we could work together to make this power work better.  Not sure it will be balanceed at all, but it would be a fun exercise to try.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #713 on: April 30, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
I think this is a power worth exploring.  I feel only teleporting as far as a sprint roll can take you feels a littel short to me.  I'm not sure how to make it farther without effecting balance.  Just giving first impressions.

Caveat: if you care about precedents set in the Dresden setting (according to the book and the rules), then teleporting reliably is very hard. It's one of those situations where, all things being equal, it is easier to use the Nevernever, or to just not use magic at all. But for those niche cases, the sprint roll appears to be the benchmark on how well it should work.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Harboe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 30, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
Well, it's very hard to teleport for wizards. As far as Dresden knows.
I could see some "wanderer"-type Nevernever inhabitants with Teleportation and Worldwalker easily enough. There are enough stories about such types in literature and mythology that I wouldn't feel like I was "cheating" or anything. Besides, it encourages creative tactics in combat rather than slugging it out and that always makes things better :)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

I think the costing method was genius.

Do speed powers effect sprinting distance for purposes of teleporting?

I think we could work together to make this power work better.  Not sure it will be balanceed at all, but it would be a fun exercise to try.

I was thinking longer range teleportation would defiantly be better as a off-screen thing or as a concession result.

Speed Power do effect the teleportation range and I would expect a character like Night Crawler to have inhuman or above speed (justified by his ability to teleport), I kind of see speed powers to be the natural upgrade of this ability.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:01:25 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
Caveat: if you care about precedents set in the Dresden setting (according to the book and the rules), then teleporting reliably is very hard. It's one of those situations where, all things being equal, it is easier to use the Nevernever, or to just not use magic at all. But for those niche cases, the sprint roll appears to be the benchmark on how well it should work.

I agree with you about teleportation not exactly being canon but such a power could also be used to model phase runner (ghosting) which would be far more in keeping with the setting if people are not willing to play a little fast and loose with the canon.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 30, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »
So if I teleport while grappled, the grappler moves with me?

I also would be interested to see this developed. I've been wanting to write up He Who Walks Behind for some time now.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
So if I teleport while grappled, the grappler moves with me?

I also would be interested to see this developed. I've been wanting to write up He Who Walks Behind for some time now.

Probably yes that is how it happens in films, they would obviously get the option to let go.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #719 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »
Well, it's very hard to teleport for wizards. As far as Dresden knows.

I can believe that Dresden has it more or less right... for Wizards (good point of distinction you made there), while simultaneously accepting that certain non-Wizard creatures (probably very powerful ones) might be able to do it.

I'd be hesitant to make it a Power without some caveats, such as requiring that the creature with the power needs to be something like a Demon or an Outsider, something that is only really borrowing ectoplasm to exist in the first place. Like when I played a water elemental in my first Champions game: he was invisible and incredibly fast as long as he was in water, but we established that when he used his super-swimming to move quickly, he was actually displacing his consciousness/spirit in the watery medium and "borrowing" a new body where he ended up, so he was as murky or clear as whatever water he had just left.

So if something like a Demon or a Ghost could get this, great. But if mortals started doing it, I'd worry about them damaging their physical body by not being able to do it right.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets