Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169358 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #660 on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:17 AM »
I do like the way it depowers burst damage.

Still...it just doesn't sit right with me.

PS: Probability Manipulation doesn't give metagame powers. If it seems to, tell me why and I will try to fix it.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 09, 2011, 02:55:18 AM »
The reason I thought Probability was a meta gamey power was because it allowed your character to effect dice rolls explicitly even though those dice rolls aren't actually happening in the game universe. I know that rolling is meant represent chance so it makes sense that manipulating chance would mean controlling dice rolls to a certain extent, but the lack of any probability control effect besides messing with meta dice i find a little problematic.  I would recommend adding to the power (perhaps as an upgrade) the ability to make declarations you would usually have to pay a fate point for with perhaps a discipline roll (like declaring unlocked car when in a street chase).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:32:57 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 09, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »
I honestly agree with ways and means, on almost all fronts.

I know people think that posts simply agreeing with someone serve little to no purpose, but i think posters knowing multiple people in the community feel a certain way is a good thing.

I think Perfect toughness could have a few issues with game balance, but without testing it i can't really form much of an opinion.  It sounds like it could be abusable without a few caveats or limits put on it, but again...until it is tested... :-\

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
I actually do not mind +1 posts. They are sometimes helpful and even when they are not they serve to keep threads alive.

Good idea about the Declarations. I think I will expand the Sponsor Debt option so that it can be used for Declarations.

Perfected Toughness is appropriately costed, as far as I can tell. I just think it feels like a houserule instead of a power.

Feel free to ignore me on this: I actually have little to contribute. I am simply voicing vague dislike.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
Stone Homunculus: (A simulacrum of a person made of stone and animated by magic or alchemy)  Power

Body of Stone (steel for robots) [-1]
Corpse Body. Your body is made of stone. This means that you cannot recover from consequences with time, because your body does not regenerate. Any physical consequences you suffer are permanent until you take some kind of effort to remove them (know any good stone masons?)or seek supernatural assistance to reconstruct your body.
Made of Stone: As you are made of stone your body is naturally tougher than that of a human and can survive things a human cannot. You have a natural Armour of 2 against all harm (this stacks with toughness).

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:46:58 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Quackerjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
I thought Gollum was a living being, not a stone statue :D

(read: Think you mean Golem. And Golems aren't normally made of Stone, they are made of clay)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:31 AM »
I don`t think it`s balanced. Corpse Body isn`t really a meaningful drawback in many games.

And armour 2 for 1 refresh is rather a lot.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »
I thought Gollum was a living being, not a stone statue :D

(read: Think you mean Golem. And Golems aren't normally made of Stone, they are made of clay)

Traditionally yes, but most media uses the D & D golems.  Stone, flesh, iron etc etc

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 15, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »
I don`t think it`s balanced. Corpse Body isn`t really a meaningful drawback in many games.

And armour 2 for 1 refresh is rather a lot.

True but its comes with the negative of no recovery and you notice this power doesn't come with the intimidation bonus and no death clause.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 15, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
The thing is that the value of the "no death" and the "no healing" vary enormously from game to game. In some games (including mine), therefore, Body Of Stone would be too strong.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 22, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
Heat Vampire [-1]
You can and must with feeding dependency plunder the life energy of living things around you in the form of body heat. To do this you can roll discipline against an a opponents endurance to steal their body heat this ability has an effective range of a zone.
Taste of death- Once per seen after plundering enough heat to kill an opponent you can take a free recovery period, recovering from all stress and minor consequences (or higher with recovery powers).

Plunder (Required Heat Vampire) [-1]  Your heat stealing ability now has a weapon rating of 2. This also increases the range of the ability to 2 zones.

Snap Freeze [-1] (requires Plunder) Your heat stealing ability now has a weapon rating of 4. This also increase the effective range of the ability to 3 zones.

Field of Cold:[-2] You can plunder the heat of everyone in a zone and gain a free tag of the 'empowered' aspect for  every enemy you kill after the first in a scene.     

(Edit: included a range for the heat steal ability and gave the upgrades a +1 to range each which I didn't think was worth it's own upgrade.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:47:35 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 22, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »
So it's like Blood Drinker, but the to-hit bonus is replaced with a new mode of attack?

I like it. Though the attack should specify a range and Snap Freeze should require Plunder.

Does Field Of Cold hit you if you use it on your own zone?

Anyway, this is cool. I plan to use it sometime soonish.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
So it's like Blood Drinker, but the to-hit bonus is replaced with a new mode of attack.

Pretty much.

Does Field Of Cold hit you if you use it on your own zone?

I am not sure about this, the power allows you to suck the heat from a zone so if you are in the zone you will be effected by the cold but any heat being stolen from your body should also be being returned at the same time. I am tempted to leave this blank and let anyone who wants to use the power decide what they think is appropriate, what is your opinion?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:34:23 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 22, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
I would say no you aren't hitting yourself. Thematically it doesn't make sense. Mechanically you are paying 2 refresh instead of the normal one for zone attacks, although you aren't taking the standard -2 to the roll.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 23, 2011, 04:32:06 AM »
I'd probably go with what polka said. For 2 refresh, a little extra like not hitting yourself seems appropriate.

By the way, I like the idea of stealing heat from yourself and recovering as quickly as you are drained. I don't know why, but it's kinda funny.