Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169339 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #645 on: November 23, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
I'm not so keen, really. It seems inelegant to make people use different dice. Also, it ruins the symmetry with Ordered Fate.

Still, I do like the idea of making the curve flatter.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 23, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
I agree about not making people use different dice, and I never bother with how high a chance there is to roll somthing. :D

PS: I was considering having Palming The Cards work on any roll made in your presence. Would that be fair? Would it be worth an extra refresh?

Sounds interesting, it could potentially be quite powerful, but you do have to spend a fate point and invoke an aspect. I'm kinda leaning towards it being worth an extra refresh.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline justin1976

• Participant
  • Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
I was specifically referring to D&D4e, though I suppose the new d20 version of Star Wars is applicable as well, where ones character is really defined by ones powers.  As an example, if someone were to create an archery-based ranger, it would likely be virtually identical to a ranger with the same theme created by someone entirely different. 

Roleplaying is the burden of the individual and its lack thereof is the failure of the player and not the game they are playing. Saying certain systems stiffle or eliminate roleplaying altogether is a fallacious(It means logically unsound or deceptive ,and not fellatio pervs.....)  statement. You can roleplay a Monopoly game if you so desired(look, I was drunk and bored and when you combine the two with me stuff happens,I just hope the video doesn't still exist). However, I do agree that Fate is a vastly superior system that encourages that play style and allows players ,through aspects, to take a more active roll in the molding of the story. In 4e yes you could have two different archery based rangers that have alot of overlap in terms of their powers, but as you so succinctly put it the powers don't matter for the purely roleplaying aspect of the game, so if they don't matter then how they play the characters is what is the most important thing. All I am saying is when you get down to it a roleplying game is an environment that encourages communication, creativity , and just good old fashion down home fun.I personally look at games like 4e as an occasional cathardic release, you have long campaign highly cerebral with twists and turns and genuine emotional tension where there is a lvl of creative exchange  between storyteller and player that just doesn't exist in other medium,taking a break and rolling thog the barbarian and smashing goblins with your mighty thews, can be a nice change, but also can be an enriching roleplaying experience as well,if you allow it to be.
Firefly; Like Star Wars, if Han Solo had been the main character and he'd still shot Greedo first.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
I strongly suspect that you posted to the wrong thread, justin.

Offline justin1976

• Participant
  • Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 25, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
I strongly suspect that you posted to the wrong thread, justin.

No sir not at all I was reeplying to a comment made by todjaeger made its post number 19 in this thread,granted he made it months ago so I am exceedingly late,but, I felt the need to say what I said.
Firefly; Like Star Wars, if Han Solo had been the main character and he'd still shot Greedo first.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 26, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »
Oh, okay.

I'm afraid that was before my time.  Before I made an account here, actually.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 06, 2011, 04:04:32 AM »
Sentai Custom Powers

[-1] Transformation Sequence - Your transforming between forms takes an entire action but whilst transforming you have Temporary immunity from all harm, this immunity can only be used once a scene.  (As everyone knows you cannot interrupt a transformation sequence).

[-2] Named Attack - You have a special attack whose name you must yell to use but doing so gives you a +1 boost to accuracy and +2  to weapons rating for the attack.

[-1] Who do you think I am. - Your your awesome fighting spirit and determination make you hard to control or put down, you can use conviction as a defense against social and mental attacks.

[-1] Redeeming Punch - You can use your fist skill as a social attack skill when trying to redeem someone turned the dark side, because actions speak louder than words.

[-1] Our Powers Combined - Anyone with this stunt can sacrifice their turn to give a +2 bonus to anyone else with this power without rolling anything because they automatically know how best to assist each other.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:21:49 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
Sentai Custom Powers

[-1] Transformation Sequence - Your transforming between forms takes an entire action but whilst transforming you have Temporary immunity from all harm, this immunity can only be used once a scene.  (As everyone knows you cannot interrupt a transformation sequence).

[-2] Named Attack - You have a special attack whose name you must yell to use but doing so gives you a +1 boost to accuracy and +2  to weapons rating for the attack.

[-1] Who do you think I am. - Your your awesome fighting spirit and determination make you hard to control or put down, you can use conviction as a defense against social and mental attacks.

[-1] Redeeming Punch - You can use your fist skill as a social attack skill when trying to redeem someone turned the dark side, because actions speak louder than words.

[-1] Our Powers Combined - Anyone with this stunt can sacrifice their turn to give a +2 bonus to anyone else with this power without rolling anything because they automatically know how best to assist each other.

I feel these powers are likely balanced, but they do not fit in the cannon DFRPG genre.

That's pretty much my only criticism.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:20 AM »
Transformation Sequence is cool but probably overpriced. I'd call it a -0 power.

Middle three would make good stunts.

Our Powers Combined is good, though it could get a bit silly if 15 mooks all had it.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #654 on: December 07, 2011, 04:06:34 AM »
PS: I was considering having Palming The Cards work on any roll made in your presence. Would that be fair? Would it be worth an extra refresh?

I think forcing rerolls on any roll would be worth an extra Refresh... as a separate trapping, perhaps called Stacking the Deck?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 08, 2011, 02:50:40 AM »
I like that name.

New version:

PROBABILITY MANIPULATION [-3]
Description: God's dice are loaded in your favour. Your luck is literally supernatural.
Skills Affected: All
Effects:
Weighting The Dice. Whenever anyone in your presence rerolls dice, you may "lock down" one of those dice. Doing so ensures that the result of that die is the same on the reroll as it was on the original roll.
Palming The Cards. Whenever you are involved in an opposed roll, you may cause your opponent to reroll by invoking an aspect.
Fixing The Wheel. You may take a point of sponsor debt instead of spending a Fate Point when invoking an aspect in order to cause a reroll. Sponsor debt taken this way represents accumulated bad luck, karmic backlash, or the build-up of paradoxes in the structure of reality.
Stacking The Deck [-1]. Whenever anyone in your presence rolls dice, you may cause them to reroll by invoking an aspect.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 08, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »
Perfected Toughness [-2]
Your great toughness means you can take hits that would obliterate other men entirely but you cannot do so repeatedly.
You can use more than one stress boxes per attack and so can soak much higher levels of stress per hit.

If someone hits you with 30 shifts of stress (and you have mythic toughness) you could take a 10,9,8 and 3 shift stress boxes to soak the damage without any consequences.   
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
Perfected Toughness [-2]
Your great toughness means you can take hits that would obliterate other men entirely but you cannot do so repeatedly.
You can use more than one stress boxes per attack and so can soak much higher levels of stress per hit.

If someone hits you with 30 shifts of stress (and you have mythic toughness) you could take a 10,9,8 and 3 shift stress boxes to soak the damage without any consequences.

I have a proposal. 

We could rename the power and allow anyone to do it, even without toughness...but:  If a player or NPC chooses to do this he/she may not take consequences from that attack.  if it over comes his/her stress boxes he is considered taken out. It makes a player make a choice for each attack.  It allows more people to take the power.  it makes tanks a little less nasty (which this power truly amplified in short battles).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
Hm.

Something about this power seems really off to me.

It's not that it's broken...it just seems like too much of a rules change for a power.

Can't really put my finger on why it bothers me.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
In terms of changing the mechanics and lack of precedence Perfected Toughness is far more standard than Probability Manipulation (which allows you to effect other PC's rolls directly and gives your pc meta game powers) in the Fate System , Perfected Toughness is inspired from an Endurance stunt in spirit of the century which allows you to do the same thing. Now obviously there is a different balance in DF than Spirit of the Century but as an alternative for high level pc's who want to take PI it makes sense. I also like the fact it makes Burst Damage builds (casters) less powerful but that is just me.
Every night has its day.
I think.