Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171723 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #585 on: October 26, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Yeah, getting a weapon 10; especially with stunts added in...isn't too hard to accomplish.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
Trying to stat the Geas ability from code geas.

The Eyes of the King [-4]
This ability requires eye contact between the target and the holder of this power. The holder of this power can plant a suggestion in his opponents subconscious which must be obeyed. Planting this suggestion requires a presence maneuver to make eye contact (usually vs empathy) and gives the aspect "commanded". The target of this attack then suffers an mental attack at the holders presence vs discipline each round until he is either taken out (when he will automatically obey the command) or he chooses to obey the command. To remove this command would require magical assistance the complexity for such a ritual would have to beat the original maneuver roll.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:24:04 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 29, 2011, 04:21:56 AM »
I don't think so. The "every round" part is far too brutal, and it seems unfair to be completely screwed if you don't have Thaumaturgy. Basically this lets you inflict instant take-out with a maneuver on most of the world's population.

Also it beats up Domination and takes its lunch money.

I think a compel-based mechanism might be good. Something like:

"You may make Presence or Deceit maneuvers to force eye contact, which gives an aspect phrased in the form of a command. The aspect never goes away barring plot or ritual magic. You may spend FP to compel the aspect whenever you please, and the GM may compel it as well."

How's that look?

It's still pretty brutal. Maybe too much so. But it ought to be at least somewhat brutal...

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
Really it is just venom mechanics (ok with mental stress) the only real change to it (besides the obvious) is the change from scholarship removal to lore based removal (because I don't see a way standard medicine could remove it) and a different taken out result, its different from domination in that one domination can't be removed by magic (not even by the Merlin) and you only get 1 command.   
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 29, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
and you only get 1 command.

Ever per subject?
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
Ever per subject?

Yes one command per subject forever and it could and should be compelled like the sight for accidental use or unintentional interpretations of commands.   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:03:59 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 29, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
That's significantly better but still effectively a deus ex machina for anyone you're only going to see once.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
Saying its venom mechanics with lore switched for scholarship isn't really an accurate description. The number of doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc. outnumber magical practitioners by a gigantic degree. Add into that the fact that their on the fly complexity would have to be high enough to whip out a cure or they would need to research  in a lore library  and it isn't really comparable at all.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
I don't think so. The "every round" part is far too brutal, and it seems unfair to be completely screwed if you don't have Thaumaturgy. Basically this lets you inflict instant take-out with a maneuver on most of the world's population.

Also it beats up Domination and takes its lunch money.

I think a compel-based mechanism might be good. Something like:

"You may make Presence or Deceit maneuvers to force eye contact, which gives an aspect phrased in the form of a command. The aspect never goes away barring plot or ritual magic. You may spend FP to compel the aspect whenever you please, and the GM may compel it as well."

How's that look?

It's still pretty brutal. Maybe too much so. But it ought to be at least somewhat brutal...

That being said the point of the power is that it will eventually take out the enemy and get them to obey your command, in the series it came from the command was pretty much absolute but could be resisted with will power for a little time. So trying to stat it was always going to be a problem balance wise. I thought this was the only way to stat such a power without being game breaking but I suppose it is too strong for most peoples tastes, amusingly still considerably weaker than mental evocation but still too strong.

I like  Sanctaphrax's method a lot and think it would be a pretty good way to do what I would probably mod it though so the aspect created came with a free tag each scene like addictive saliva or just adding the addicted saliva mechanic (with a 1 or 2 refresh surcharge) to some sort of mental attack or maneuver power (probably based of incite emotion mechanics).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:44:36 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
Saying its venom mechanics with lore switched for scholarship isn't really a fair comparison.The number of doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc. outnumber magical practitioners by a gigantic degree. Add in the fact that their on the fly complexity would have to be high enough to whip out a cure or they would need to research in a lore library. and it isn't really comparable at all.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 03, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Magical Ninja Powers

Mystic Fate Ninjutsu [-1]
Impossible Stealth - Your training in the mystic art of Ninjutsu allows you to become all but invisible so you can hide in anywhere no matter the terrain, lighting or any other conditions. A fate ninja can hide in the middle of combat and ignores all terrain or lighting penalties when hiding.

Absolute Destiny  Blow [-1] (requires Mystic Fate Ninjutsu) After successfully ambushing an opponent you can spend a fate point for your attack to bypass all mundane Armour and toughness powers that attack. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:06:24 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
Interesting ideas.

I don't like the Incredible Stealth trapping, though. It's both boring and excessively stuntlike.

Would suggest rewording Impossible Stealth too. I'm not sure how it works as written.

Maybe reduce the cost to -1 to compensate for the loss of Incredible Stealth.

As for Absolute Destiny Blow:

It's clearly based off of All Creatures Are Equal Before God, which costs 3-4 refresh and a FP per scene. It also lets you ignore mundane armour. With that in mind, I suggest that you make this cost 1 refresh and a FP per use. And let it ignore mundane armour, it seems only reasonable.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 04, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
I changed "Absolute Destiny Blow" to your recommendation it does seem a better way to do it. Impossible stealth was based off veils in that it allows you to hide as if you were invisible (veiled) but with the stealth skill using your super secret magical stealth training. I am not quite sure how to word the description properly.     
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »
New wording for Mystic Fate Ninjitsu is good. Not perfect, but I don't think I could do better.

Not absolutely certain about the balance, but it looks about right.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »
Inhuman Dexterity [-2]
+1 to accuracy with weapons where dexterity matters 
+1 to weapons parry
+2 to any non combat roll that is based off manual dexterity (lock-picking, pick-pocketing, magic tricks etc.)

Supernatural Dexterity [-4]
+2 to accuracy with weapons where dexterity matters
+2 to weapons parry
+4 to any non-combat roll that is based off manual dexterity (lock-picking, pick-pocketing, magic tricks etc.)

Mythic Dexterity [-6]
+3 to accuracy with weapons where dexterity matters
+3 to weapons parry
+6 to any non-combat roll that is based off manual dexterity (lock-picking, pick-pocketing, magic tricks etc.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:53:43 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.