Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169573 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #525 on: September 30, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »
Hm.

Well, if your GM thinks you need Feeding Dependency, then a power that straight-up negates your Dependency is not the way to go. But otherwise, how could a power like this be balanced?

I guess it could provide benefits beyond just mitigating Hunger. Perhaps a form of Toughness that applies to hunger and mental stress tracks?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 30, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
Pre-requisites full wizard template

Conceptual Thaumaturgy [-2]
As a massively skilled practitioner of the arts you can cast Thaumaturgical spells up to your starting complexity without the props by working through the magic in your head. As the spell is taking place in your head you can only take backlash instead of fallout when casting.  This allows on the fly casting of low level Thaumaturgical spells at some risk to the caster.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:59:36 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 30, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
Does this allow the use of Thaumaturgy in combat time?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
No combat would be a bit distracting (well not unless someone could justify it with legendary discipline) I could add a stress clause for allowing it in combat if you think the power is too weak, something like
combat is stressful: you can use this in combat but doing so it stressful each round of putting power in costs at least 1 stress (evocation mechanics). 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:03:11 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 30, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
To be honest, I have no idea whether this is costed correctly. I guess it depends on whether you let players assume that they have basic thaumaturgical materials on them normally.

I think you could reasonably expand this to cover rituals beyond starting complexity.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
The idea was to allow zero prep minor thaumaturgy though allowing consequences to boost the power and immediate declarations and maneuvers might be balanced with a good gm. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:20:22 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 03, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
Horrific Imagery [-2] Your Illusions are so vile they can cause serious mental harm to those who view them.
You can use your illusion creating powers (evocation, glamours etc) to cause mental stress instead of its usual function. (this would allow mental attack spells with spirit illusions and allow those with the glamours ability to roll there seemings roll as a mental attack.)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:48:16 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
I like it for Glamours. Not so much for Evocation. You can probably guess why.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »

I like it for Glamours. Not so much for Evocation. You can probably guess why.

Yep though at least they would be paying for the privilege rather than just getting it free with evocation.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
It is a little better that way. Maybe it's even balanced. But I still don't like it.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #535 on: October 03, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Seems to me Incite Emotion would cover what you are talking about.  Just use it and say that it is scary illusions.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
Incite Emotion is good but limited by emotion this power is a little more open in that illusions could easily generate or amplify multiple emotions (such as horror, disgust, fear, hatred, possibly even lust (well the fae seem to use that trick quite often) or just cause mental trauma. Glamours is a mainly defensive power and this power is aimed to give glamours the sort of teeth that illusion used offensively possibly should have.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:04:26 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »
There are also some other differences, that in my opinion make the new power worth making.

CHANTER [-1]
Description: Most spellcasters use incantations, but for you the effects of magic words are far more pronounced. This makes your spells stronger, but much slower to cast.
Musts: You need some form of spellcasting to take this power.
Skills Affected: Discipline
Effects:
Magical Chant. When you tag an incantation-based aspect to boost a spellcasting roll, add an additional two to your roll.
Incantation Dependency. Whenever you cast a spell without tagging or invoking an incantation-based aspect, subtract two from your spellcasting roll.

Offline Rephath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »
Skepticism beyond Reason [-1]
Description: People believe in many things. You believe they're idiots. Religion is hogwash. Monsters are just silly legends. Magic doesn't exist. You have faith in science and reason and nothing will sway you from it.
Musts: This power does not count as a supernatural ability, but every other supernatural power you take increases the cost of this power by 1. After all, it's hard to cast a fireball one round and then say you don't believe in magic the next. Your must have a high concept referencing your complete disbelief in the supernatural.
Effects:
There Must Be a Rational Explanation: Your disbelief in the Supernatural is solid. You always have a +2 bonus to resist belief in the supernatural, and those trying to convince you get no benefit from declarations that are based on the truth of their claims or the strength of their conviction. You may defend against all such attacks with either conviction or scholarship. Treat any attempt to convince you of the supernatural, or any use of a supernatural power in your presence as a social attack.
True Nonbeliever: Your belief in science is absolute. Petty things like "witness accounts," "evidence," or "personal experience" won't shake your faith. You believe science holds the potential to solve all mankind's problems, if only it weren't held up by those superstitious flat-earthers. Symbols of science count as symbols of your faith, and satisfy appropriate catches on monsters. Your house and any place of science are treated as holy ground when you are present, and you raise their thresholds by 2.
I Don't Believe in Fairies: Your presence satisfies the catch on all faekind. Additionally, you deal damage against tulpas and any other constructs whose existence is based solely on belief in them.
This Can't Be Happening: [-1] Your utter disbelief in the supernatural gives you +2 to avoid the effects of any supernatural influence on you. However, you automatically oppose any helpful supernatural effects at +2 as well. By default you resist with the higher of conviction or scholarship.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
Too much for -1 refresh.

Only True Mortals should have this, (or ones in the dark about their powers, which someday would be remedied.) the problem is True Mortals can't have powers.

This could be re-tooled as various stunts however.