Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171761 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #495 on: September 15, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
About human sacrifices:

Stored blood is just an aspect. 2 complexity =/= 20 complexity. Also, while you can commit sacrifices over time, you need to have a ritual in mind when you do it. You can't just kill five guys and store 100 complexity in case you need it.

About Physical Renewal:

I see no need for all the restrictions. Even recovering all physical consequences and stress (including extreme consequences) as a free action that you can take during other people's turns would be worse than PI.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:05 PM »
Magic-Tech [-4]
Description: Your magic, unlike most, mixes well with technology. In fact they are fast friends, and with them together you are able to create strange mechanical devices that beggar imagination.
Note: The cost is -4 refresh unless you already practice another kind of true magic (e.g., Evocation, page 180, or Thaumaturgy, page 181), in which case the cost is reduced by 1 for each ability you already possess.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore, Scholarship
Effects:
Magical Cooperation. Your magic no-longer disrupts technology, you can rely on technology, but it can also rely on you. You are no-longer able to hex devices but they will not fail on you.
Knowledge Transparency. For you there is no difference between Scholarship and Lore. You may use them interchangeably.
Arcane Constructs. Anything that you build that has a magical component and also has a technological component benefits from the amalgam of both. All rolls made for such devices are made at a +1 bonus. Enchanted Items which feature both technology and magic have +1 Strength and +1 Uses.

Version 2.0

Magic-Tech [-4]
Description: Your magic, unlike most, mixes well with technology. In fact they are fast friends, and with them together you are able to create strange mechanical devices that beggar imagination.
Note: The cost is -4 refresh unless you already practice another kind of true magic (e.g., Evocation, page 180, or Thaumaturgy, page 181), in which case the cost is reduced by 1 for each ability you already possess.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore, Scholarship
Effects:
Magical Cooperation. Your magic no-longer disrupts technology, you can rely on technology, but it can also rely on you. You are no-longer able to hex devices but they will not fail on you.
Knowledge Transparency. For you there is no difference between Scholarship and Lore. You may use them interchangeably.
Arcane Constructs. Anything that you build that has a magical component and also has a technological component benefits from the amalgam of both. You main gain a +2 bonus to rolls with such devices by invoking an appropriate aspect and taking a point of sponsor debt. Enchanted Items which feature both technology and magic have +1 Strength and +1 Uses.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:34:30 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I honestly think you should still be able to hex things.  Other than that, I like it!

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
Narrative Control [-8]
The fiction your right comes true, any character who resists their role in your plot takes mental stress until they become a slave of the plot (attacks with conviction of the author every round until submission or the writing is destroyed) as long as the writer knows the true name of the characters. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:10:12 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 20, 2011, 01:10:46 AM »
This is likely horribly broken, but I can't be sure because it is unclear how exactly it works.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 20, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
It is similar to ritual that binds people to your will except all if its power is enshrined in the act of writing. The Power allows you to bind people whose true name you have to your plot/story (having the true name allows the power to pretty much ignore range though it is still obviously diminished by thresholds etc). If they resit falling into line with your plot they take mental stress (based of the writers conviction skill opposed by the targets conviction, basically mental poison mechanics), until they follow your plot or destroy the source of your ritual/ book. Considering it requires 8 refresh and true name it isn't broken (with 8 refresh and a true name you can target as many mind effect ritual as you want at your target which means you will eventually win).  It was either that or a block vs all actions that opposed the plot but I thought this would be less broken.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:19:44 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 20, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »
Very well then. I propose the following rewrite, which in my opinion is much clearer:

Narrative Control [-8]
If you know someone's True Name, they automatically become your slave forever. Roll some dice to see how long it takes, but don't pay too much attention to the results because it's ultimately totally arbitrary.

Taking someone out with a ritual is a significant effort, and there are probably limits on how much it can do without extra complexity.

So this is much more powerful than Ritual.

I recommend you just use heavily-Refined Sponsored Magic for this.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 20, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
Something about forcing people to do something in a game (long term) doesn't sit well with me.

Add it to whatever list you like.

I'm pretty much disgusted by the initial write up.  (That's not so much trying to be rude; as honest.  I am adamantly against long term mind controling PC's  irrationally so... apologies if it offends.  I just truly hate being *FORCED* to do things in games I'm  supposed to be having fun in.

Fairly certain if you have someones true name and magic...you pretty much own them until their name changes a bit to allow freedom.  So I'm not sure you need a power for it.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »
Rename Narrative Control to GM fiat and call it a day.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 20, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
Rename Narrative Control to GM fiat and call it a day.

Pretty much, yeah.

Should never be used by players...and I don't even like it when GM's take too heavy a hand in character actions.  ( I do understand it, but I don't like it to be frequent or long term.)

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
Upon further reflection my comment is antagonistic rather than explanatory, my apologies.
As it is written I could the bbg with the power could be in new york doing this on some poor schmuck in chicago. Even if the schmuck has conviction 6 vs bbg conviction 3, there are an untold multitude of rounds in the travel time. The bbg gets to whittle away the stress boxes with no cost or limit  and inevitably takeout the good guy. The plot he writes could easily be schmuck cuts his own throat and bleeds to death. The end, good game.

This sort of thing is why the power is ruffling our feathers.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
Mind Controlling Parasite [-4]
Your claws can be used to infect enemies with mind controlling parasites, Make a fist maneuver; if successful, the target gains a "Infected" Aspect. In each subsequent exchange, the target must roll Conviction to defend against a mental attack from the parasites equal to your Fists score. Once the target concedes or is taken out the attacks end. However, the damage is already done; without the parasite being cut out of the target a taken out target will be completely controlled by the parasite within hours. Cutting out the parasite will stop it causing any further harm to the target. Cutting out the parasite will require a scholarship roll (for medical knowledge) modified by lore (understanding what the parasite is). This scholarship roll must beat the original fist roll (to infect the target) for it to successfully remove the parasite.

(using the form and inspiration from the venomous powers Your Story pg 163)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:46:17 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 22, 2011, 03:33:40 AM »
I like this a lot better.

Though I'd allow Discipline to be used for defense.

A social variant based off of a Voice-Of-Command effect would be cool.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 23, 2011, 01:28:24 AM »
Bit of a Work in Progress that I would like some feedback on, particularly in regards to pricing.

GEIS [-?]
You have a touch of the Faire in your blood, not enough to render you a full Changeling, but enough to give your words have a much more significant impact.
An Oath Given is an Oath Kept Like many magical folk, your word is your bond. However in your case this is even more so. Provided you have the time to do so, you may make a formal Oath related to a purpose that you wish to pursue. Any Roll that directly helps you fulfill your Oath gains a +1. You may take multiple Geisa, however their effects do not stack. Should you choose to break your Oath, you take a -1 to all your Rolls until you find some way to ether fulfill your Oath, or reconcile it in some way.

Blessing of the Fey Subject to GM and/or Player approval, you may levy a helpful Geis on someone else, aiding them in their efforts towards a pre-agreed upon purpose. The benefits and drawbacks are identical to levying a Geis on yourself, likewise the person may take multiple Blessings, but their effects do not stack.

Curse of the Fey Subject to GM and/or Player approval, you may levy a harmful Geis on someone else, restricting them in their efforts towards a specific purpose. Whenever the target of your Curse makes a Roll that in some way opposes your Geis, they take a -1 to that Roll. However unlike placing a Geis on yourself or an ally, you must also include a reasonable condition that the target of your Curse can fulfill to remove the Geis.

EDIT: In may respects, its a heavily tweaked Righteousness. The main alterations being you get punished if you don't fulfill your Oath (instead of it simply ending) and you can involve others in it as well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:30:52 AM by JayTee »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2011, 01:57:09 AM »
That power will require a LOT of GM attention.  Otherwise you'll ahve a player swearing oaths to do everything, essentially giving him/her a +1 to all rolls about hte current plot.

I think the +1 and -1 system may work well for what happens when NPC's/PC's give their word and break their word or when thrice bound etc. 

Dunno if it works as a power really...