Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171821 times)

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
No it does not include Human Form. As for it being too powerful, I dont think it's too much, a bit stronger than average but not game breaking.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
With the extra form points upgrade It allows you to entirely bypass the -2 refresh penalty you normally have to pay. That is a potent advantage.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
Life Eater [-2] attache to an Item of Power
Every time you kill someone with this blade the life energy is stored (in the form of complexity) which can be used later in a ritual.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »
What complexity does a dog, pixie, person, etc. grant you?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
A person grants you 20, the dog 2-4 and the pixie what ever seems appropriate (4-10 i would go with). 
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:06 AM »
I don't think that this is a good idea.

Human sacrifices are pretty freakin' powerful in this game. This power would make them easy to acquire, and it might even avoid the Lawbreaker problem.

That's scary powerful.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 14, 2011, 01:08:29 AM »
I don't think that this is a good idea.

Human sacrifices are pretty freakin' powerful in this game. This power would make them easy to acquire, and it might even avoid the Lawbreaker problem.

That's scary powerful.

Blackstaff powerful.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »
And the Blackstaff probably has some kind of sponsor debt mechanic for balance.

This doesn't.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »
I did not see it bypassing lawbreaker (though anyone using this power (usually in a dagger) as intended would probably already have lawbreaker 1st twice anyway), in terms of game balance it dose not change anything lives are cheap and any semi-competent supernatural can get hold multiple prisoners without much trouble and sacrifice them. The power on expedites the process so 2 refresh for a mere utility upgrade dose not seem overpriced.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 14, 2011, 01:57:18 AM »
Um..no.

If human sacrifices were supposed to be really easy, then they wouldn't give 20 complexity.

You do stuff like that, you can expect complications.

Besides, this is excessively convenient. Kidnapping and imprisoning people just in case you eventually need them as sacrifice fodder is massively impractical. This is mechanically equivalent and very easy.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 14, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »
Um..no.

If human sacrifices were supposed to be really easy, then they wouldn't give 20 complexity.

You do stuff like that, you can expect complications.

Besides, this is excessively convenient. Kidnapping and imprisoning people just in case you eventually need them as sacrifice fodder is massively impractical. This is mechanically equivalent and very easy.

Pretty much my line of thinking.

I will say I like the idea, but more for an item th PC's destroy that belongs to a NPC.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
Actually, if you don't mind Lawbreakers, sacrifices can be stored in a few ways;

1) Kill the victim ritualistically in the first place and take symbolic trophies - no need to hoard up live victims when you can offer their torn-off hearts to your patron.
2) Transform target into a miniature statue of themselves (or a coin!) with a Transformation/Disruption spell then dismiss the transformation when you need them back.
3) Transmigrate the target's soul into another, more easily carried living being or lifelink a human with such a being . Rabbits, cats and other pets are all good options for the aspiring necromancer. When the time comes, kill the rabbit/other pet thus also killing the human without needing access to the original body.
4) Entrap the target's mind into a mirror or voodoo doll, leaving their body comatose, sleeping or delirious behind and make sure that destroying the object also kills the victim. Leave behind as many "sick" people as you want for the mortal authorities to take to hospitals and take care of them for you. You can slay them at the time of the ritual through the mental link.
5) Hit the victim with a mind-mojo to make them willingly follow you around. No need to hold them captive or even hide them till the sacrifice. You could even program them to kill themselves at the specified time, saving you the trouble.
6) Cast a temporal banishment spell on the sacrificial targets that sends them directly to the site of sacrifice at the correct time. You could amass victims over months with such magic and still have them appear where you want them (i.e. over the sacrificial pit full of iron spikes) when the time comes.
7) Make a tiny weakening of the Veil to the Outside so that you create a sort-of wrinkle, a dimensional bubble of sorts that can store someone for a time. Store your captives in this bag of holding thingy. Kill them when the time comes. Alternatively, offer up the victims to an Outsider immediately with this deal in mind; the Outsider takes their souls and when it's time for your ritual, they sponsor you for half that much power, keeping the difference for their own use.

See? At least one way to store sacrifices per Law broken. Still, an Item of Power storing the energy would make it too easy - and far less interesting.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 14, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
As life energy can be found in the blood (from the books) there is nothing to stop you storing blood alone for ritual purposes (just do a small ritual to keep it potent). Though it probably would be easier to go somewhere with no human rights perhaps a war zone where people disappear all the time and just get as many lives as you need on demand.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 14, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »
Blood dies pretty fast. But you don't need to store spell complexity for a ritual; ritual preparation can be divided along as much time as you want unless there is a specific reason it cannot. The vamps in Changes killed people over weeks to build up the ritual and the sacrifices still counted after those weeks.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #494 on: September 15, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
My Humble suggestion for a Recovery analogue to Physical Immunity:

Physical Renewal
Refresh Cost: -8
Through some quirk of fate, you have been given the power to recover from wounds like no other. For a Fate Point once per scene, you may heal from All non-Extreme, physical-based consequences, be they Mild, Moderate, or Severe, as a Full Action. Such power does not come without cost, as your will is taxed to the limit doing this, and your body is just barely healed of your consequences: Your Mental and Physical stress tracks are filled as a result of using this power(if not already filled). Strenuous activity after this healing is not recommended. (Note: Consequences taken before using this power still count toward Fate Point gains if you Concede or are Taken Out)

I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.