Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171232 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #465 on: September 07, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
I don't understand.

Could I get an explanation or an example, please?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »
Magic Eater[-2] -  Anyone who makes the mistake of targeting a magic eater with magic shouldn't be surprised when it back fires dramatically.

When ever targeted by magic a magic eater can spend their turn in advance to wrestle control of a spell from the caster (direct discipline contest). Succeeding this contest allows the magic eater to redirect the spell to his chosen target.

Isn't that more like reflecting the spell?  Eating it tells me they absorb it or take strength from it rather than send it back.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 07, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
I don't understand.

Could I get an explanation or an example, please?

A baseball bat to a baseball or a laser to a mirror; is how I interpret this.  The spell bounces off/returns to sender.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
The "spend turn in advance" thing is giving me trouble.

Does this work like a block? Is it similar to Riposte? Is it something totally different from either?

And how does the reflection work? If I throw a zonewide attack at the guy with this power, does he reflect the whole thing? And if I try to block his movement with a spell, can he reflect the block?

And how does targeting work? If the guy with this power walks into a magical wall, what happens?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
It basically gives you control of the spell, I was aiming for something on the lines of the Mask but with magic (aka he swallows a tonne of magic and spits it right back). It costs a turn because it basically allows you to use the spell as an attack/manouvre/ block and these take a turn. Basically this power allows you to nullify a spell as (free action) and then fire your own one at the same amount of power back (which costs the turn).
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
Sorry, I'm still unclear on exactly how this works.

Could you provide an example or two?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »
Someone hits you with a control 7 power 7 fire ball  you roll discipline against it and get 8 that means you can sacrifice a go to cast a power 7 attack spell on the target of the choice (at your discipline). 

Someone hits you with a 7 shift maneuver same effect but with a 7 shift maneuver as the end result rather than an attack.

Same effect if someone hits you with an area attack (the area still hits everyone else before being swallowed.) 
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:35 AM »
I still don't really get it, but I guess it's not that important that I do.

As long as the people using it get it, there's no problem.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 08, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
Basically its a power in two parts first it allows a zero stress free action "counter spell" at discipline and secondly it allows you to cast a spell without gathering the power for it because the power for it comes from the "countered" spell. 
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 12, 2011, 02:01:01 PM »
How does this look?

[Family] Shifter [-4]
Description: Your shapeshifting abilities are limited to one family of creatures. For example you might only be able to shapeshift into any type of canine/feline/avian creature.
Musts: You must choose a type of creature that you can shapeshift into.
Skills Affected: Varies
Effects
Limited Multiform. You may take on nearly any form so long as it falls within the family of creatures you've chosen.
Limited Skill Shuffle. At the end of the day most cats or most dogs have the same types of skills, just in varying degrees, a tiger might have a higher might rating than a tabby cat. You may build only one alternate skill configuration, but may choose three skills which may be adjusted from form to form within that configuration.
Function Follows These Forms. You have two form points which you may use to gain temporary access to powers that make sense given your chosen family of creatures.
Extra Form Points [-]. You may purchase an extra form points at a one for one ration to refresh spent.
A Family Understanding [+1]. Your understanding of your chosen family of creatures is expansive. You may purchase the pact instincts power for free.

I made this power because if you dont want the full shifting you should get a discount. It doesn't make sense to buy the full suite if you just want to turn into cats big and small, but it still makes sense to be able to swap diminutive size (your tabby cat) for hulking (your tiger), or your strength and speed depending.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:32:58 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 12, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
I like the idea, but I think this might be a bit too powerful. And it looks like it might be rather easy to abuse.

Here's my breakdown of the abilities it provides:

Limited Multiform and Limited Skill Shuffle are basically a slightly upgraded version of Beast Change when taken together. So we'll call that 1.5 refresh.

Function Follows These Forms is a weakened version of a 2-point Modular Abilities pool. So we'll call it 3 refresh.

A Family Understanding is theoretically worth 1 refresh, but Pack Instincts is pretty lame.

So we have a total cost of 4.5-5.5 refresh.

I recommend you ditch A Family Understanding and tighten up the limitations on the modular powers a little. "Makes sense" is such a slippery term.

EDIT: Is this supposed to include Human Form?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:22:04 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »
At present it costs the same as true shapeshifting which is more powerful.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 12, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
True Shapeshifting doesn't include 2 Modular Ability points. It isn't really more powerful.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 12, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Maybe not, but the infinite skill shuffle bears respect.

I think a power does need to exist similar to
(click to show/hide)
  Well, by system anyhow.

Pretty sure this isn't the best way, but it's a start.  I think we could make it and
(click to show/hide)
work.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:43 AM »
Isn't that just True Shapeshifting?